GX470 No Drill Phone Mount (5 minute install) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I have been lurking for years now and I finally have something to contribute! I have a parts list for an excellent no-drill permanent phone mount. Nothing earth shattering, but I saw this idea on a tundra forum and adapted it for our vehicle. I have always mounted my phone on a simple vent-blocking phone mount. While that would have worked in our GX's, now that I had my dream vehicle, I didn't want to compromise. Because I live in Arizona, the extreme heat makes sticky pads useless and window mounts won't fly because you always need a sunshade. So that limited me to panavise, proclip, ram mount, owl expeditions and a few others. I like the modularity of Ram Mounts and decided to explore from there.
IMG-3330.jpg

To give credit where credit is due, I originally saw this idea here. (MOD: A-Pillar RAM mount GPS/Phone holder)

My phone mount doesn't block my field of view at all and it doesn't touch the steering wheel when the phone is in or out while the steering wheel moves forwards and back during start-up. I am able to route my charging cable and aux cord over the steering wheel and everything stays tucked away nicely when not in use. This doesn't move when I'm off road and my phone stays relatively stable in the same spot. I never touch the phone mount while I am turning either, my hand stays about an inch away from the mount.

If you like my phone mount idea, here are the instructions and parts list for the install. Total the install should take you less than 5 minutes.

Max Cost: $66.91+Shipping
Parts List:
Install Steps
  1. Use flathead screw driver to pry off lower bolt cover on A-Pillar door handle.
  2. Use 10mm socket to remove 30mm stock m6x1.0 bolt. (save cover and bolt for removal later)
  3. Install new M6-1.0 x 70mm bolt and hand tighten a little bit (this bolt will go forever into the A-pillar so be careful).
  4. Install Ram M6 ball adapter and tighten 70mm bolt until it is close to your desired length (I left ~5mm of space between ball adapter and handle).
  5. Unthread ball adapter while holding 70mm bolt with pliers so it doesn't move.
  6. Install a lock washer and nut on the 70mm, insert allen head wrench to hold bolt and tighten washer and nut until tight (now your 70mm bolt won't move).
  7. Install Ram M6 ball adapter until ball adapter is on all the way and tight.
  8. Install Double Socket Swivel & Rachet Arm
  9. Install X-Grip Phone mount
  10. Level meticulously and enjoy!
Side View:
IMG-3332.jpg

View of bolt:
IMG-3331.jpg

Original bolt with cover removed
IMG-8138.jpg

Original bolt size:
IMG-8149.jpg

I have seen a similar mount in an FJ and it works great, but I like to keep my phone mounted to the left of my steering wheel like a HUD instead of looking down into the cab while I'm driving. Seems like the cost would be comparable though! They claim no drill, but you do have to screw into your dash (although that isn't a first for many on here!).

Safety nanny checking in.....

Actually looks pretty useful and ingenious. I absolutely hate suction cup mounts and reusing that bolt looks to work really well for a stable mount.

But.....makes me very nervous to hard mount anything near the SRS airbag logo.

I checked a few videos try to see where it deploys from, since obviously the factory handle would have been part of the design.

Hard to say, but it looks like the airbag deploys fairly close to the window, and the mount might not interfere with it or get ejected into your face like I was worried of. Still, might be a good idea to leave a big of a gap between it in the window is such things concern you. Cheers.

has anyone tried this one?

RAM mount style at least but hard mounted on the opposite side as OP.

Yes, I run that Panavise mount in my GX and like it. My only gripe is that it has a bit of front-to-back flex which I alleviated with a small piece of black rubber hose over the back of one of the mounting nuts that takes up the space between the mount and the dash (if that makes sense).

Safety nanny checking in.....

Actually looks pretty useful and ingenious. I absolutely hate suction cup mounts and reusing that bolt looks to work really well for a stable mount.

But.....makes me very nervous to hard mount anything near the SRS airbag logo.

I checked a few videos try to see where it deploys from, since obviously the factory handle would have been part of the design.

Hard to say, but it looks like the airbag deploys fairly close to the window, and the mount might not interfere with it or get ejected into your face like I was worried of. Still, might be a good idea to leave a big of a gap between it in the window is such things concern you. Cheers.

Definitely, the curtain airbag will blow that phone and mount off and into your face or your passenger's face. That's a solid NOPE from me too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom