Builds My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More importantly, there is a general perception that FJ40's were never sold in Mexico but the side plate and invoice, even if its not for my unit, prove otherwise. I later found out Toyota came to Mexico for five years, 1960-1965, and then left. FJ25's and FJ40's were sold in Mexico City and Guadalajara to the best of my knowledge.

Back then there was a policy that all imported cars had to be assembled in Mexico. Jaguar, for example, was assembled by Willy's Mexico. Toyota didn't return till the 90's.

View attachment 2377058

Ya know, I have heard that a lot too. Good to hear otherwise.

In the winter of 2009/10 I was driving down the Mex200 on my way to Panama. I saw an FJ25 at a restaurant north of PV that was used for decoration in front of the restaurant. They had planted flowers and other plants in it. I always figured it was just some old import.

Cheers

Steering joints were also replaced but managed to rescue the little grease tits, don't know what they're called.
Nipples, but you've got the right idea! ;)

Thanks for sharing, I love to see that there are still some old-school craftsmen around that fix and repair things. So often I find that there are just part fitters everywhere that have no idea how to repair anything.

Last edited:
Nipples, but you've got the right idea! ;)

Thanks for sharing, I love to see that there are still some old-school craftsmen around that fix and repair things. So often I find that there are just part fitters everywhere that have no idea how to repair anything.

I appreciate the correction and the compliments.

Cheers!

So, cluster time!

Gauges didn't work, had been replaced and everything was in pretty bad shape.

So I went to one of the mechanical elders of Mexico City, Señor Raúl. He went thoroughly through all circuits and everything was fried. Of course the floater was gone too.

Mexican spec = km/h, PO scratched the "k" off because he though mph looked cooler, even if the reading wasn't accurate at all.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 15.38.31.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 15.31.46.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 15.31.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 15.32.24.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-09 at 15.34.06.jpeg

Here's the floater, pretty cool looking and...it works! Everything works! I finally get a break.

This whole endeavour set me back $250, and I got to keep the original cluster frame and most of it remains OEM. Back circuits will have to be adapted as will the light sockets, etc...
That, unfortunately, will not be OEM but will be craft made with the wisdom of a man who clearly knows his circuits.

IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2554.jpg
IMG_2656.jpg

Here's one proud man with his work. Rightfully so.

DonRaul.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if you have the gas tank under the seat. If so, please make sure you put a decent gasket on that fuel sender. I could not get rid of the gas smell in the cab until I replaced the gasket.

This is easily my favorite thread. Fantastic work, @MexicanNewby ! I'm going to have to hit you up should I ever get down that way. I spend a lot of time in Quintana Roo but have been meaning to see Mexico City as well as Oaxaca.

Not sure if you have the gas tank under the seat. If so, please make sure you put a decent gasket on that fuel sender. I could not get rid of the gas smell in the cab until I replaced the gasket.
Double gasket it shall be! Thank you for the heads up!

This is easily my favorite thread. Fantastic work, @MexicanNewby ! I'm going to have to hit you up should I ever get down that way. I spend a lot of time in Quintana Roo but have been meaning to see Mexico City as well as Oaxaca.

You're too kind good sir! Glad you're enjoying the read.

Do tell whenever you're down here!

Accessories: painted and installed. Am I dreaming?

I realize there are some mistakes:

- First, the obvious one: Bugcatcher rubber isn't the right one, will have to do untill I am able to order the correct ones.

- One door handle paddle is broken.

- Rear license plate light should be metallic colored. It's the original one!

Any others I probably missed?

IMG_2710.jpg
IMG_2712.jpg
IMG_2720.jpg
IMG_2723.jpg
IMG_2731.jpg

Now the door rubber seems to be an issue. I know OEM is the best way to go but ordering it will take 4 weeks to get here and I'll make do with the ones from SOR I have.

Will cut out the top bit and glue onto the beam connecting hardtop to windshield...

IMG_2729.jpg

This is a pic after the side steps and tank straps were installed...

I KNOW the gas tan isn't the right one, I have the one @ToyotaMatt sells. Will add it at the very end along with the emblems and reflectors.

TanqueInstalado.jpeg

Oh, and rear rubber stops for spare carrier were, well, re rubbered!

Gomas llanta refacción.jpeg

Last edited:
Final pic for today, the windshield is the original one and has this rock chip crack, it hasn't gone through, does anyone have a suggestion for repairing?

Still not convinced about my headliner...it has wrinkles that are VERY noticeable.

Cheers!

IMG_2722.jpg
IMG_2732.jpg

Oh, and P.O. ran for local representative, used the car as his campaign car, I love the cartoonish sticker but it will have to go... @HelloKitty65, notice how the rear side-window weatherstrip joins at the top.

IMG_2708.jpg
IMG_2719.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom