300 series rumors??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Take from this what you will
MSRP

First year of 80 series: $23,488
Last Year of 80 Series: $41,188
First Year of 100 Series: $45,950
Last Year of 100 Series: $56,215
First year of 200 Series: $64,100
Last Year of 200 Series: $85,665

When adjusted for inflation that first year 80 Series would cost $44,995 today.
Seems about right. I paid sticker at $17,500 + tax for my 1987 FJ60, $52,000+tax for my 1998 100. Not sure about that $45k price for the 100. Doesn't seem like a US market spec that you could actually buy as every one I ever saw had leather, ($1820) the 3rd row seat ($1100), moonroof ($1155), running boards ($595), and the roof rack ($449). I did add the rear diff lock which brought it up $410.

That rear end photo is a shopped current 570.
300 doesn't have a split tailgate (sad) anymore and if Toyota marketing is smart, it won't have a v6 badge, probably twin turbo or something that sounds "cool" and doesn't appear like a downgrade.
300 also still has a solid rear axle.
Front/rear locker will also be available on some 300s. 😉 First time front locker appears on an IFS toyota.

Yeah I personally don't understand why it wasn't carried over but no split tailgate unfortunately. It does have the smart open feature where you can move your foot and the back door opens but I really think the 300 will be awesome, that is the only thing bugging me about it so far.

That rear end photo is a shopped current 570.
300 doesn't have a split tailgate (sad) anymore and if Toyota marketing is smart, it won't have a v6 badge, probably twin turbo or something that sounds "cool" and doesn't appear like a downgrade.
300 also still has a solid rear axle.
Front/rear locker will also be available on some 300s. 😉 First time front locker appears on an IFS toyota.
Cheaper to manufacture without a split rear.

Yeah I personally don't understand why it wasn't carried over but no split tailgate unfortunately. It does have the smart open feature where you can move your foot and the back door opens but I really think the 300 will be awesome, that is the only thing bugging me about it so far.

Meh. Toyota pandering to the mall cruising crowd. What an effing shame, want to puke when I think about it.

Anyway, turbo gasser would be a deal breaker alone. Split or not split gate becomes irrelevant. Even more so since the US likely will not see the vehicle without being beaten by Lexus' ugly stick. Makes me so glad I stocked up on the 200s. Good chance they will last me through my remaining driving years.

And how do you know all that?

Some people already have seen the finished product/spec sheets.
Production should begin end of April with it reaching our market in June/July. LX isn't due until very late 2021 possibly early 2022.

Also, 300 is 6 lug.
It won't be much bigger in size than the 200, probably the smallest size difference between any generational change but the interior should feel more spacious. Wheel base is different though, it's slightly longer.
3rd row folds flat into the floor and it will be 7 or 5 seater.
It's going to be much more refined than the 200 even if looks wise it might not appear as futuristic as some people expected.

3rd row fold flat? With solid axle? Another idiocy to make the rig appeal to "typical customer". Sounds like a solid way to waste cargo space, but it will look good on paper. Amazing they did not go with IRS yet. Maybe next time around.

Longer wheelbase does not look like a great change, either. 6-lug I am indifferent. Presumably allows sharing wheels wheels with Tacoma/4Runner/Prado, which would be nice for wheel availability. But then I thought the point of the larger 5-lug is strength.

Re split tailgates. I don't need to convince anyone here to the merits of them but here is an old article by Demuro on the subject. I would add two other benefits. Opening the top only means stuff does not fall out suddenly on the ground, if things shift. And lower tailgate allows climbing on it and reaching stuff far back in the cargo area possible. Very useful for a large vehicle like 200.

Last edited:
It'll also be lighter, almost 200 kg less than outgoing model.
I recall someone saying something about more aluminium being used on exterior body panels.

The NCF will be out on GCC/Oz/Europe Global Information Services site usually 1-2 months before vehicle release to dealers.

Once that appears then we’ll know exactly what we are getting.

I’ve already posted the upcoming engine designations.

It'll also be lighter, almost 200 kg less than outgoing model.
I recall someone saying something about more aluminium being used on exterior body panels.

That's nice and no-brainier. Hood and doors could be and should have been aluminum already.

Longer wheelbase does not look like a great change, either. 6-lug I am indifferent. Presumably allows sharing wheels wheels with Tacoma/4Runner/Prado, which would be nice for wheel availability. But then I thought the point of the larger 5-lug is strength.
2022 Tundra will also be 6 lug. Same bolt pattern as current Tacoma but smaller bore.

Hydraulic power steering instead of electronic, incase anyone was wondering if that changed. Apparently it'll have an electronic kdss.

I found some pictures of the frame on Instagram
Screenshot_20210222-172044_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20210222-172055_Instagram.jpg

Surprising they kept hydraulic power steering.

Electronic KDSS - I imagine this could offer some improvements in both on and off road situations, but sounds like it adds compexity...

Surprising they kept hydraulic power steering.

Electronic KDSS - I imagine this could offer some improvements in both on and off road situations, but sounds like it adds compexity...

It could be more reliable, depending on how it's done. And less weight. And allow for more suspension travel. I know Jeep has an electronic sway bar disconnect. I've not used it, but from my limited understanding of both that and KDSS it seems like you rarely need to switch back-and-forth between "firm" and "slinky" except when going on/off pavement.

We tend to focus on AHC but the LX has the ability to change (dampen or firm up) the suspension feel by flipping a button. Imagine taking it one step further and being able to adjust suspension travel, compression, rebound, etc on the fly with the factory system rather than needing to climb under your truck to make the adjustments to your aftermarket suspension. Or even those changes happening dynamically. IIRC the Raptor can do that, where the ECU measures vehicle speed, wheel travel, etc and will do things like adjust the compression/rebound dynamically during a jump. Yeehaw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom