LED bulb replacement causing issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 1978 fJ40 that I have replaced all my tail light (turn, brake and reverse) with LED...two bulbs on my instrument cluster and the heat / defrost indicator light and dash light with LED. I am having issue with when I press brake pedal before turning it on the instrument panel and heat/defrost indicator light and dash light come on. Also the parking lights come on. When driving and I turn the left turn signal it will only work when I don’t have the head lights on or the brake pedal pushed in. Also my right turn signal light does not come on all the time when I turn it on and the high beam lever can be tricky...have to play with lever to keep high beams on. I have a lot going on...could switching out incandescent bulbs for LED be causing the issue...perhaps grounding issue in brake light...or issue with turn signal relay on column. Frustrating...thoughts?

Your description of all the weird issues going are classic symptoms of bad grounds.

I have read that you need turn signal flasher that supports the LEDs. I have considering LEDs so I am curious has this turns out - good luck

I did a full conversion to LED, except headlights but including all the cluster bulbs. Its very straight forward and the flasher must be replaced but the condition above is a classic loss of ground.

What did you use for an electronic flasher?
I went to NAPA and the have a two prong flasher for $13....works good...when you connect you will need to make your own connector wires as the prongs do not line up with the wiring harness. I would recommend wrapping the connectors on the flasher with black tape as I shorted out my fist flasher when it came in contact with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom