Project Wrong Way FJ60 Texas Trip: (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BenjaminCA

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
Alright, here’s the first episode from the FJ60 road trip. I’m already editing the next one, meaning there won’t be a huge gap between these... a quick recap: we bought an FJ60 that had been sitting for 18 years in Texas. With the help of some friends, we’re going to fly there and drive it home 2064 miles. Hope you enjoy!

well hell, I wish I would of known about this. I am in Houston (The Woodlands actually) and I met HemiAlex when he put his H55 in his with a fellow mud member. Inspired me to reach out to George and purchase what I needed to do mine. Would of love to come out and meet George in person and visit with Alex. Good luck with the build.

well hell, I wish I would of known about this. I am in Houston (The Woodlands actually) and I met HemiAlex when he put his H55 in his with a fellow mud member. Inspired me to reach out to George and purchase what I needed to do mine. Would of love to come out and meet George in person and visit with Alex. Good luck with the build.
It was a smash and grab trip for Georg, he flew out the next morning. But it wont be our last time in Texas for certain. I love the place. You going to the Round Up? How you like that 5spd... because I hear it’s outta sight!

Alright, here’s the first episode from the FJ60 road trip. I’m already editing the next one, meaning there won’t be a huge gap between these... a quick recap: we bought an FJ60 that had been sitting for 18 years in Texas. With the help of some friends, we’re going to fly there and drive it home 2064 miles. Hope you enjoy!

Sounds like some s*** I do often

also hope yo see you at lone star.... look for the big 60

It was a smash and grab trip for Georg, he flew out the next morning. But it wont be our last time in Texas for certain. I love the place. You going to the Round Up? How you like that 5spd... because I hear it’s outta sight!
so 5 speed is the best upgrade you can do IMHO. I drive mine on the freeway to get to a couple of leases to hunt. Now it is quiet at 2500 rpm cruising at 75 where previously it sounded like it was going to take off out of the engine bay and shoot up to space at 3000+ rpm.

Top 10 upgrades
1. H55 and desmog
2. new carpet kit sourced from DNP
3. Dobinson drawer kit in back
4. New OME suspension and KO tires
5. Clear window tint to cut heat....even on windshield
6. Carhartt seat covers from covercraft. Only have the rear but ordering the fronts soon
7. Hood insulator....not expensive but one of the most satisfying installs
8. Bowfin roof rack by mud member
9. upgraded headlights with harness from Toyota
10. Green fogs for hog hunting with a factory switch from ToyotaMatt

Good luck and have fun. Hope your good at hiding receipts as I see your married.
FJ60Paddle.JPG

so 5 speed is the best upgrade you can do IMHO. I drive mine on the freeway to get to a couple of leases to hunt. Now it is quiet at 2500 rpm cruising at 75 where previously it sounded like it was going to take off out of the engine bay and shoot up to space at 3000+ rpm.

Top 10 upgrades
1. H55 and desmog
2. new carpet kit sourced from DNP
3. Dobinson drawer kit in back
4. New OME suspension and KO tires
5. Clear window tint to cut heat....even on windshield
6. Carhartt seat covers from covercraft. Only have the rear but ordering the fronts soon
7. Hood insulator....not expensive but one of the most satisfying installs
8. Bowfin roof rack by mud member
9. upgraded headlights with harness from Toyota
10. Green fogs for hog hunting with a factory switch from ToyotaMatt

Good luck and have fun. Hope your good at hiding receipts as I see your married.
View attachment 2594831
I forgot to mention one other upgrade that is awesome...
11. Gove box insert by Wits End- OE is cardboard and mine had a hole in the bottom of it. Order one of these, install the shelf, have it powder coated bladk and you will love it.
mine:

Next episode, the start of day two in Houston. We go over some of the repairs the Houston crew did in order to make the sitting 18 years no big deal. Also, I do a brief interview with Heather, Marc and Georg.

Careful got a lot of help there and your doing a bunch before sending it.

Loosing the adventure and thrill

Joined TLCA....I have only gone to local Bayou City Cruiser meet ups, and of course check into this website all the time. Didn't really know about TLCA, but do now. Have fun with the build. By the way...I bought mine off of ebay too from a guy in Az. Thought better of going out to AZ to pick it up because I only knew what was told to me by the seller and what the maint receipts showed. What I did know is it only had 148K on the odometer and within the last few months I had a total of almost $13K worth of receipts from Camelback Toyota out of Phoenix. I figured it had good bones. When it arrived on the transport truck it was on the second story and the guy almost backed it off the top as the emergency brake would not hold. I was lucky. Since then I have poured what I paid for it back into it. They are a labor of love and although there is always something I want to do to it...I am really at that point where I just enjoy it with my son on almost monthly hunting/camping adventures.

Next episode, the start of day two in Houston. We go over some of the repairs the Houston crew did in order to make the sitting 18 years no big deal. Also, I do a brief interview with Heather, Marc and Georg.

Cool...and this happened just 5 minutes from my house. Heather’s place is also where my Georg built H55F and transfer case were mud shipped to.
Would’ve liked to stopped by to shake Goerg’s hand and bring a beer(s).

Good luck with the drive!

Ok, I know it's still day two, and we're still in Houston. There was more to do for sure. Georg walked me through some repairs and tune up techniques. Compression test and valve adjustments. I get to talk a bit with Alex and a guy with a killer mustache. Plus, I get to show everyone some more of the people and cruisers that showed up. It was like the field of dreams, if you build it, they will come.

I imagine you all are getting tired of seeing the cruiser still sitting in Houston. But the repairs and crew that made it happen warrant the episodes. Some footage I just couldn’t get rid of. Plus, this is my first actual drive of the cruiser. And the look on my face is genuine stoked.

Man I wish I knew about this. I would have shown up with some of the Austin crew to help out. Thanks for the videos.

Been watching and relating to a lot of the Project Wrong Way videos. Funny seeing somebody have the same struggles. Mainly the dropping stuff over and over or not being able to get something to fit. Made my wife watch one and basically she was like, “this dude is you working on your FJ60.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom