Rear window regulator out of time? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks in advance for the help. This is from my new to me '71

I just pulled this rear window regulator due to the broken gear problem but noticed that the two arms are not aligned. Can someone with more knowledge confirm whether they are out of time, or should they be like this?

Jeff
PXL_20210223_015059878.jpg

PXL_20210223_005759915.jpg

Last edited:
They are supposed to be "uneven" and those look right to me. Assuming they haven't moved relative to each other since you pulled it and the window was working OK before you pulled the assembly then you are good.....except for that gear.

I can't recall exactly but I think someone said that the arms should be 4 teeth off from even. Maybe someone can verify/correct that information?

Welcome to the madness by the way! :cheers:

Huh, glad I didn't finish the glass on mine before reading this:
They are supposed to be "uneven" and those look right to me. Assuming they haven't moved relative to each other since you pulled it and the window was working OK before you pulled the assembly then you are good.....except for that gear.

I can't recall exactly but I think someone said that the arms should be 4 teeth off from even. Maybe someone can verify/correct that information?

Welcome to the madness by the way! :cheers:

I reinstalled mine as even and was about to put the glass in (finally) last night - if someone could confirm the tooth count, that'd be helpful...

I can confirm mine is a 4 tooth difference and it works great. Some say 5 teeth, so you might get some more opinions. It might be that each is a tad different in regards to making it work right. Other factors might make it work different in yours, trial and error.

I can confirm mine is a 4 tooth difference and it works great. Some say 5 teeth....

Okay so where was this secret code posted when I spent 5 hours one Saturday trying to get my arms aligned? I think I pulled it apart 4 or 5 times trying to get it right. LOLOLOLOL

Okay so where was this secret code posted when I spent 5 hours one Saturday trying to get my arms aligned? I think I pulled it apart 4 or 5 times trying to get it right. LOLOLOLOL
I think I got mine on the second try.......might have been the third.

I bench tested mine and used level with the tracks installed prior to install. Be sure and run through complete range of motion. Right first time which was awesome considering was out of truck and out of alignment for 18 years.

0790BA72-2B2C-4EE8-9F5F-13DC6A6EC3F5.jpeg

D53B05F0-A8C9-4660-956E-0944F71D2D17.jpeg

I bench tested mine and used level with the tracks installed prior to install. Be sure and run through complete range of motion. Right first time which was awesome considering was out of truck and out of alignment for 18 years.
I thought about that method but wasn't sure if the bracket was level on the bottom (or "level" in regard to the tailgate once installed). I installed mine and measured each side from a reference point on the tailgate. Don't remember what my reference was at the moment. Maybe the top of the glass opening? Regardless, downside to the method I used is I had to install, measure, uninstall, adjust, repeat.

I thought about that method but wasn't sure if the bracket was level on the bottom (or "level" in regard to the tailgate once installed). I installed mine and measured each side from a reference point on the tailgate. Don't remember what my reference was at the moment. Maybe the top of the glass opening? Regardless, downside to the method I used is I had to install, measure, uninstall, adjust, repeat.
I made sure the two bottom mounting holes in the tailgate for the regulator were parallel to the bottom inside edge of the tailgate. I then verified the two window mounting rails in the tailgate were 90 degree angle to the same two holes. Trick I think to making this work is to manually advance the motor and check the full range of motion the glass will travel when installed. If the arms are not timed right it becomes more apparent (not level) in the UP position. I then corrected the alignment of the arms to compensate based on which direction the bubble was off.

NOTE: I placed a C-Clamps on the regulator frame under one arm to keep the arms stationary when i had the motor and gear out.
If those arms suddenly move under that coiled spring tension you might loose your ability to "thumb" a ride properly if you know what I mean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom