First foray into a vintage Cruiser....1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm extremely glad that I found this site. My wife and I have decided to jump in head first into owning an FJ60. This is really my first time owning a vintage truck and intend it to be my daily driver. We bought the truck a few weeks ago and since I've been trying to learn all I can about it. I absolutely love this truck. We bought it from a vintage car reseller in Brentwood, TN that had cared and repaired on the truck for the previous owner. Here's a list of the recent services and add-ons that had already been done to the truck. (I will be getting the rest of the maintenance records when we get the title.)

What major things do I need to keep up on maintenance wise and how hard are these to wrench on if you have limited mechanical knowledge and even less tool availability?

• H55 5-Speed Transmission
  • Long Range Automotive 40 gallon fuel tank
  • Weber Carburetor
  • ARB Winch Bumper
  • Smittybuilt Winch
  • Old Man Emu Full suspension & Steering Stabilizer
  • Bluetooth equipped factory Toyota Radio
  • 33-inch Toyo Open Country Tires
  • recent replacement of the fuel pump
  • fuel filter
  • A/C compressor
  • rear brake drums
  • rear brake shoes
  • master cylinders
  • tie rod ends
155K miles on the 2f engine. There is a little bit of rust over the driver side rear tire area and on the back bumper. I'm looking to get a replacement rear bumper with a tire swing to carry my spare.

Fj60 - Copy.jpg

Fj60-4 - Copy.jpg

Fj60-5 - Copy.jpg

Fj60-27.jpg

Fj60-66.jpg

Nice looking cruiser.
Your vehicle is the easiest car on the road to work on. It's the last of its kind. Get copies of the Toyota factory manuals and a few metric wrenches and you'll be set. The manuals are excellent even for first timers.

Congratulations on your new landcruiser! The 5-speed is a great addition. With only 155k miles, your not going to have to do too much. Keep the valves adjusted and the filters and fluids changed regularly and that's about it, just drive it. What was the asking price? Prices have gone through the roof the past few years on these old 60's series cruisers.

Looks like a nice 60. Its been desmogged, so will be even easier to wrench on. Get used to the slow lane and visiting the gas pump if you're going daily drive it. Mine is built pretty similar to yours, top speed 70 and 12 mpg. Enjoy! ;)

Nice looking cruiser.
Your vehicle is the easiest car on the road to work on. It's the last of its kind. Get copies of the Toyota factory manuals and a few metric wrenches and you'll be set. The manuals are excellent even for first timers.

Thanks for the response. That's great to hear. I started rabbit trailing through a lot of the repair and build threads on here and it was a little intimidating. Oil changes, greasing parts and such are doable, but I'm not sure I could do a full font axle rebuild.
Congratulations on your new landcruiser! The 5-speed is a great addition. With only 155k miles, your not going to have to do too much. Keep the valves adjusted and the filters and fluids changed regularly and that's about it, just drive it. What was the asking price? Prices have gone through the roof the past few years on these old 60's series cruisers.
I'm a little embarrassed to say what we paid for it. But after buying it and seeing some of comparable ones sell on bringatrailer.com, I feel like we were in the ball park. My wife has vintage furniture rental company and is into all things vintage. She REALLY wanted 60s/70s era Bronco, but talk about crazy prices. This one came up and checked all the boxes for her "cool car" check list....so she gave me the go ahead to get it.

Looks like a nice 60. Its been desmogged, so will be even easier to wrench on. Get used to the slow lane and visiting the gas pump if you're going daily drive it. Mine is built pretty similar to yours, top speed 70 and 12 mpg. Enjoy! ;)

Ya, I about crapped on my first fill up. The 40 gal tank is no joke (and I only put in 30 gal). I test drove it on the interstate when we bought it and we were cruising about 75-ish (speedo is off a bit due to the tires) but she didn't have much more left in her. I don't mind being in the slow lane. This truck if very reminiscent of being on my motorcycle, it's stripped back to only the essentials and I'll get there when I get there. This is not a truck to take if you're in a hurry and I'm just fine with that. =)

This is not a truck to take if you're in a hurry and I'm just fine with that.

Love this attitude. Off to a great start here for owning one of these Dino's. Congrats on the rig and welcome to the madness. Gonna be tons of fun.

Might I suggest downloading the FSMs and start your reading. You'll go broke getting others to work on these trucks for you. Read through those manuals and start wrenching.

Have a romp through here if you need some courage and insight as to what's possible with these trucks:

Might I suggest contact Cruiser Outfitters for some of your parts needs:

They stock most of what's in your list. Great guys and super helpful.

Again welcome to the fun

Last edited:
Check to see if the oil galley plug has been replaced on the cylinder head.

Very nice! Congratulations on getting a great truck.

I also have a silver '87.

I noticed your clutch pedal cover (and maybe also brake pedal cover) is gone, I think Cool Cruisers of Texas has them for about $8.

View attachment 2593166
Love it! Yes, I need to get those pedal covers. My boots were slick on the pedals after walking through the snow this past week. Thanks for the heads up on those.

Check to see if the oil galley plug has been replaced on the cylinder head.

10-4. Will check on that. One of the things I do know I need to get after is my brights seem to have a bad contact/ground. I did find a thread on that fix that I book marked to get after. Hopefully starting small will boost the ol' confidence on getting after some of the other things.

Cruiser outfitters can also hook you up with a nice headlight upgrade for reasonable cost. Very easy to install. The new setup connects directly to the battery and you will notice a big difference in brightness. One of the better upgrades I have done.

Might I suggest downloading the FSMs and start your reading. You'll go broke getting others to work on these trucks for you. Read through those manuals and start wrenching.

Have a romp through here if you need some courage and insight as to what's possible with these trucks:

Might I suggest contact Cruiser Outfitters for some of your parts needs:

They stock most of what's in your list. Great guys and super helpful.

Again welcome to the fun
Awesome. Thanks for the thread link and site info. I've found the body/chasis manual. Any good places to find the 2f engine manual?

Have you ever used TPI. I see that they're based in Nashville. TPI 4x4 Landcruiser Parts - http://tpi4x4.com/

Cruiser outfitters can also hook you up with a nice headlight upgrade for reasonable cost. Very easy to install. The new setup connects directly to the battery and you will notice a big difference in brightness. One of the better upgrades I have done.
@ToyotaMatt has a nice upgrade too. You really can’t go wrong with cruiser outfitters or Matt. Both are top notch forum vendors and supporters.

Will look into both of those for the headlight upgrade.

You mentioned that you want a new rear bumper. I have the 4Plus rear bumper with tire and jerry can carriers. Super happy with it, the quality is excellent and Dave is great to deal with. I liked it so much I got a second one (and a front) from Dave for my hunting rig.

4Plus Bumper.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom