OME springs 2860 or 2863? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am about to order OME 2.5" lift for my 94 fzj80 but am stuck between the medium and heavy spring for the rear.. The slee website says to get the 2860 (i believe these are medium) if you do not have a aftermarket steel rear bumper w/ swing outs. Which I do not have and probably wont for a few years at least. I have stock rear bumper but I do have a prinsu roof rack with a 150-200lb Tepui RTT. The spare 33" tire will be mounted inside the trunk + 100-250lbs of gear. Also got 2 small kids and a wife riding in the rig on our travels. So I am thinking of going with the 2863 (i believe these are the heavy springs)

Should I go with the 2860 medium or the 2863 heavy springs?? Will I be over sprung in the rear?

(I am getting the OME2850 front springs because I have aftermarket bumper/ winch)

I am about to order OME 2.5" lift for my 94 fzj80 but am stuck between the medium and heavy spring for the rear.. The slee website says to get the 2860 (i believe these are medium) if you do not have a aftermarket steel rear bumper w/ swing outs. Which I do not have and probably wont for a few years at least. I have stock rear bumper but I do have a prinsu roof rack with a 150-200lb Tepui RTT. The spare 33" tire will be mounted inside the trunk + 100-250lbs of gear. Also got 2 small kids and a wife riding in the rig on our travels. So I am thinking of going with the 2863 (i believe these are the heavy springs)

Should I go with the 2860 medium or the 2863 heavy springs?? Will I be over sprung in the rear?

(I am getting the OME2850 front springs because I have aftermarket bumper/ winch)
I have the 850's in front and the 863's in rear. (heavies on all)

I typically have a 125LB wheelchair lift hanging off the back and that makes it ride about right.

I have been driving without it for a few months and I have noticed how rough my truck is now. I always carry about 600 LB of stuff in the rear, (tools, work stuff) but I have the stock rear bumper, not roof rack or RTT.

It depends on your daily use of the truck. If 80% of your miles are unloaded, then I would suggest going mediums and adding air bags.

I got my rear heavies from a friend that bought heavies based on recommendation and found it was way too rough for his daily with nothing in it, so he swapped to the mediums. I knew I needed heavies because in addition to the 125LB lift, the wheelchair is 400 LB, so it is very needed for my setup.

If you carry the RTT and extra gear with you at all times, get the 863's. If you just load up for trips, then 860s (and add airbags like @BILT4ME if you like)

I have light springs as my rig is light 90% of the time. I occasionally go on a road trip with a trailer and a bunch of gear and I'm fine with my truck squatting for the brief periods it has to endure the extra weight.

My stepdad has mediums and airbags on his 4runner for when he pulls his airstream. He's happy with the setup.

@BILT4ME thanks for all the info. It is a rough ride with the heavies when you have 600lb worth of tools etc in the back but no wheelchair lift? Or its a rough ride when its not loaded with anything?

@BILT4ME thanks for all the info. It is a rough ride with the heavies when you have 600lb worth of tools etc in the back but no wheelchair lift? Or its a rough ride when its not loaded with anything?
It's still rough with the 600 LB in the back and not the 125 LB lift.

Mind you, I get "used" to the ride, then I change it and realize how soft or how harsh it is after I change.

What really got my attention was driving a coworker's Tahoe for 4 hours, then getting into my LC with no lift, but my typical 600 LB of crap. I felt like I got out of a Cadillac and climbed into a stock truck from the farm. I had not realized how harsh the ride had become.

The biggest thing are the shocks. I have the stiffest Nitro shocks. I would suggest either the factory Tokico shocks or at least the softest OME shocks available, or some other brand of high-dollar stuff if that's what you want. Definitely do NOT get the OME 60070 (front) and 60020 (rear). That is what will make the ride "harsh" vs "soft".

And, for reference, I have all new OEM bushings, 33" Duratracs, and run about 35 PSI in the tires.

I have a 150 pound RTT, about the same amount of gear, no kids in the back and a 33" spare in the stock location. Stock rear bumper. Basically same on everything except the extra people. I have medium rear springs and it feels like more than enough. I hardly notice any squat.

Also aren't heavy front springs the same spring rate but just an inch taller?

I have a 150 pound RTT, about the same amount of gear, no kids in the back and a 33" spare in the stock location. Stock rear bumper. Basically same on everything except the extra people. I have medium rear springs and it feels like more than enough. I hardly notice any squat.

Also aren't heavy front springs the same spring rate but just an inch taller?
Thank you. I think the medium in the rear will be right for my set up.

Not sure about the spring rate.

Do you have the 2.5" lift? Did you have to install a adjustable rear panhard bar? Also did you change the gears? I am just about to upgrade to 33" tires from stock. Will put them on the same time as the lift.

Thank you. I think the medium in the rear will be right for my set up.

Not sure about the spring rate.

Do you have the 2.5" lift? Did you have to install a adjustable rear panhard bar? Also did you change the gears? I am just about to upgrade to 33" tires from stock. Will put them on the same time as the lift.
Yes I have the 2.5" lift. I have 851 front springs and 860 rear springs. I have not regeared and I did not mess with the rear panhard bar. I use to tow a heavy smoker a few times a year and before my suspension install the back end would be on the bump stops. After the kit it hardly has any squat. I think if i was loaded down a majority of the time with a heavy rear bumper and a spare tire hanging off the back I'd have heavy springs. Otherwise the mediums are fine.

According to the spring chart for OME springs. the 851 (medium) springs and the 850 (heavy) springs have the same spring rate but the 850 springs are about an inch taller uncompressed.

Yes I have the 2.5" lift. I have 851 front springs and 860 rear springs. I have not regeared and I did not mess with the rear panhard bar. I use to tow a heavy smoker a few times a year and before my suspension install the back end would be on the bump stops. After the kit it hardly has any squat. I think if i was loaded down a majority of the time with a heavy rear bumper and a spare tire hanging off the back I'd have heavy springs. Otherwise the mediums are fine.

According to the spring chart for OME springs. the 851 (medium) springs and the 850 (heavy) springs have the same spring rate but the 850 springs are about an inch taller uncompressed.
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated! I am going with the 860 rear springs and the 850 front springs (I have a steel front bumper and winch. That extra inch should be perfect)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom