FJ25 & Very early FJ40 Front Bumper “group buy” - Gauging Interest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gabe, I’m almost certain the frames were body color and the bumpers were silver.
It seems to me that the early 1958's were body color. Mine had beige paint when I sanded part down. Also, the museums 1958 in original paint has green paint On the front bumper. Am I wrong?

1F225242-366A-4291-951B-9E0780AA45F7.jpeg

It seems to me that the early 1958's were body color. Mine had beige paint when I sanded part down. Also, the museums 1958 in original paint has green paint On the front bumper. Am I wrong?

View attachment 2585760

The green bumper paint in that pic was applied after those brackets were welded to the bumper which means it didn’t leave the factory with that green paint.

I thought the 25 bumpers were body color too, along with the chassis. Kinda does look pewter actually. I swear I had read or seen that they were body color but maybe not. Toyota also liked to mess with us in these artist renditions sometimes.

FWIW the first photo is from the FJ28 brochure,
1613400579797.png

1613400726787.jpeg

1613400863816.jpeg

1613400987192.jpeg

1613432117549.jpeg

Last edited:
Also received the front frame brackets and will try to get them reversed this weekend and play with the offset taper bend to see what I can do. Trying to recreate a stamped plate with flat plate takes a bit to get right.

View attachment 2583727
That would be awesome if you got the bumper gussets made too!

Brackets are on the coffee table in front of me. I tacked up some spare 25 bumpers this morning. Looks like I will have 4 extras. BUT will not sell these until everyone has received theirs that have ordered.

J
@trailtailor I want one of these bumpers once available please! Thanks

I think the 25s were all 1 color, even an early 25 pto winch was white like the truck it came from.

I think the 25s were all 1 color, even an early 25 pto winch was white like the truck it came from.
Do you have any photo of that one with the PTO? I can’t seem to find any original Toyota photos showing anything but the pewter bumper. But all along I had thought they were body colored. Now the only body colored photos I can find seem to be restored examples.

Preliminary CAD files and custom forming dies are almost complete for the front bumper mounts. Once the proper profile is acquired I'll then need to adjust for shrinkage and then should be ready to go. 10GA CR steel should form in my 100 ton press without heat induction.

Good night fellas, time to get some rest.

FJ25 BUMPER MOUNTS AND DIES.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any photo of that one with the PTO? I can’t seem to find any original Toyota photos showing anything but the pewter bumper. But all along I had thought they were body colored. Now the only body colored photos I can find seem to be restored examples.
I talked to Mike, Jim and Phil yrs ago bout all this. Pretty sure they all told me to paint everything red, on my truck. These guys combined have probably owned more 25s than the entire forum? Lol. In the end do what you like. I painted my pto black, bumper red. Well new bumper will be Seminole red, as soon as I receive it. @TRAIL TAILOR , new brackets are looking great.
Mike
Mike

The PTO on my hard top was painted body color, but im pretty sure the bumper was pewter.
The chassis was still body color though right? Repainting a bumper is no biggie down the road if someone wanted to, but getting the chassis the correct color is a bigger deal obviously.

I agree @mmcinnis everybody should do what they like. I personally always liked the body colored bumpers as a differentiator on the 20 series. The 28 is maybe different from the 25s in that regard, and I'm not sure what I'll do yet as far as restoring my FHT but would be good to know for sure either way what Toyota did. Definitely excited about the bumpers though, its nice to be worrying about paint rather than the bumpers themselves!

We will be setting up the custom dies on our Haas mill in the next few days. Basically I think the best way to move forward with these is to machine the upper and lowers dies to get the best end product. It's a bit more front end work... But less production time with a more OE finished product.

J

Yes! Can't wait to get it. Thanks again.

Yes! Can't wait to get it. Thanks again.

I have the CAD files set for the brackets as well and once the dies are milled I'll get a few plasma cut and test bent/press stamped. If all is good I will send the files to the laser cutter for production.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom