Anyone running a Co2 tank for trail air fills? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 5lb co2 tank from my beer brewing setup I'd like to make into a tank to refill tires on the trail. I know 5lbs probably isn't enough to run tools , but should I expect to be able to get a least 8, 33" tires from 15-20psi back to 35-40 psi before a refill of the tank?

I know there are better options, but in true beedeegee fashion this is what I have laying around so I don't have to buy an air compressor. I also like the fact that with a 150 psi regulator I can fill way faster than any compressor I can afford and I don't need the battery.

Thoughts?

20210220_133200.jpg

These guys made a business out of refining the process.

I think it's all doable, but the devil is in the details. Can you refine the hardware and hoses and regulators and storage logistics so that it's unlikely to blow up in your cargo area for well under the cost of a, IMO superior, air compressor?

An air compressor is nice because it's basically a zero maintenance thing. Buy it once and stow it away until you need it. To use the tanks, you have ensure you're topped off. Minor difference, but significant if you end up at the end of a trail at 15 psi and realize you're 50 miles of pavement away from an air station and you forgot your air tank is low. 🤷

These guys made a business out of refining the process.

I think it's all doable, but the devil is in the details. Can you refine the hardware and hoses and regulators and storage logistics so that it's unlikely to blow up in your cargo area for well under the cost of a, IMO superior, air compressor?

An air compressor is nice because it's basically a zero maintenance thing. Buy it once and stow it away until you need it. To use the tanks, you have ensure you're topped off. Minor difference, but significant if you end up at the end of a trail at 15 psi and realize you're 50 miles of pavement away from an air station and you forgot your air tank is low. 🤷

Right now I don't wheel enough to have to worry about forgetting to fill it really. I'd just top it off (or swap it out) before a trip. I never even need to air down off road locally so I would probably only have it when I go on trips. You're right though over multiple days it would get annoying trying to get it filled again. Maybe I should just get a 10 lb tank. I like the idea of being able to run an impact off it, but maybe my battery powered one would last just as long I dunno.

As far as it blowing up I'm not too worried about that. I drive around with SCUBA tanks at work all the time. The main hazard would be dropping it and knocking the top off while pulling it out to use I think.

Technically it’s the same thing as a “Power Tank” or smittybilts air inflation tank. Should work well, just secure it properly to prevent any accidents

There is a pretty nice DIY inflate/deflate build on tacoma world...it cost me about $180 for a double hose version and it breaks down for travel pretty nicely. With a 20lb CO2 tank I can air down 37s from 35 PSI to 12 PSI about 22 times, it rides horizontal over my rear wheel wheel, then it stands up and straps into a rail mounted scuba tank holder like you'd see on a boat, since it needs to be vertical for use.

...you can do the rough math on a 10 gal tank from power tank and then half that # for your 5 lb tank.

Building that DIY inflate kit was pretty awesome. I had all 4 tires inflated before my buddy got done with 1 with his onboard air. It also allows pressure to equalize between two tires, so if you happy to come across a flat, you can borrow some air from your spare even with no pump or compressor available.

As far as it blowing up I'm not too worried about that. I drive around with SCUBA tanks at work all the time. The main hazard would be dropping it and knocking the top off while pulling it out to use I think.

Right. I like the powertank's "rollcage" built around the nozzle/outlet/stem area.

There is a pretty nice DIY inflate/deflate build on tacoma world...it cost me about $180 for a double hose version and it breaks down for travel pretty nicely. With a 20lb CO2 tank I can air down 37s from 35 PSI to 12 PSI about 22 times, it rides horizontal over my rear wheel wheel, then it stands up and straps into a rail mounted scuba tank holder like you'd see on a boat, since it needs to be vertical for use.

...you can do the rough math on a 10 gal tank from power tank and then half that # for your 5 lb tank.

Building that DIY inflate kit was pretty awesome. I had all 4 tires inflated before my buddy got done with 1 with his onboard air. It also allows pressure to equalize between two tires, so if you happy to come across a flat, you can borrow some air from your spare even with no pump or compressor available.

Yes, I love this approach. I use a "MORRflate" setup with 4 outlets. It's really nice to have all 4 equally pressurized. I got their kit with the built in pressure gauge. Worlds nicer than doing one tire at a time. FWIW, the MORRflate setup with gauge is $225 and comes 100% assembled and ready to rock. The only other step up I'm aware of would be to run hardlines to your wheel well areas and use a small quick connect to complete the circuit to the tire. I think that's the "Wifey" kit approach. 🤷

1613879116101.png

Right. I like the powertank's "rollcage" built around the nozzle/outlet/stem area.

Yes, I love this approach. I use a "MORRflate" setup with 4 outlets. It's really nice to have all 4 equally pressurized. I got their kit with the built in pressure gauge. Worlds nicer than doing one tire at a time. FWIW, the MORRflate setup with gauge is $225 and comes 100% assembled and ready to rock. The only other step up I'm aware of would be to run hardlines to your wheel well areas and use a small quick connect to complete the circuit to the tire. I think that's the "Wifey" kit approach. 🤷

View attachment 2591724
The morr flate is great too...only reason I went DIY was it had the locking air chucks...I can't recall if the MORR did or not?

The morr flate is great too...only reason I went DIY was it had the locking air chucks...I can't recall if the MORR did or not?
Not sure what they're called, but they are quick connect things that clamp onto the tire valve. They do not thread on, which is a big convenience.

I have used a 5lbs bottle for years and i can usually get 5 sets of tires from around 18 to 33 pounds without and issue. Works fast and is a decent way to go if you rarely use it. I have been caught several times forgetting how many times I've aired up or help another air up. I recently switched to a 10lbs bottle but they are much harder to find on a switch out basis and the price is getting out of hand. 10lbs are now in the mid $30 dollar range to fill and on a recent trip to colorado I ran out in my 5lbs setup and was charged $45 to fill it at a remote AirGas location. I am going finally going to switch to a compressor setup as the cost of co2 has made it less attractive.

Imo co2 is the only way to go. I personally run a 20lb tank. Fills 37s from 8-30 in like 30 seconds. Id never trade for any pump. ;)

Last edited:
I have used a 5lbs bottle for years and i can usually get 5 sets of tires from around 18 to 33 pounds without and issue. Works fast and is a decent way to go if you rarely use it. I have been caught several times forgetting how many times I've aired up or help another air up. I recently switched to a 10lbs bottle but they are much harder to find on a switch out basis and the price is getting out of hand. 10lbs are now in the mid $30 dollar range to fill and on a recent trip to colorado I ran out in my 5lbs setup and was charged $45 to fill it at a remote AirGas location. I am going finally going to switch to a compressor setup as the cost of co2 has made it less attractive.

Wow.didnt realize it was that expensive, but thanks for the tire fill data. I'm hoping my local Wesco will fill it but I dunno about price yet.

Wow.didnt realize it was that expensive, but thanks for the tire fill data. I'm hoping my local Wesco will fill it but I dunno about price yet.
Call a few a local beer/wine supply stores or a craft brewery.

In town (CO) I pay $25 at a beer supply store for a 20# bottle fill. Thats about $1/Air up. The big gas stores are, as mentioned, far more expensive.

My local homebrew shop will fill my tank for $20. If I was wheeling a lot this would definitely not be cost effective although I really like the concept for some reason.

For the few trips a year I do I shouldn't have to fill it more than 2 times per year. If my wife goes maybe 3 times.

Local shops here charge the same price for 20lb as they do 10lbs but I don't have room for a 20lbs bottle in my truck

Something to consider for anybody else reading this CO2 will permeate through rubber a lot faster than regular air so when you get home from a long trip where you have aired up the tires using the tank make sure you purge the tires probably the CO2 and replace with regular air otherwise it will mimic a slow leak.

Regular air is much "dirtier" than co2.
Just keeps eyes on your pressure.

Regular compressed air, unless properly filtered carries moisture. Moisture = eventual rust. ;)

Regular air is much "dirtier" than co2.
Just keeps eyes on your pressure.

Regular compressed air, unless properly filtered carries moisture. Moisture = eventual rust. ;)
But, is it a problem, or just something to be aware of? My compressor produces a ton of water with the weather lately.

Be aware that it could become a problem easy if you forget to check the tire pressure and get in the highway with tires at 16psi

Something to consider for anybody else reading this CO2 will permeate through rubber a lot faster than regular air so when you get home from a long trip where you have aired up the tires using the tank make sure you purge the tires probably the CO2 and replace with regular air otherwise it will mimic a slow leak.
Is this actually enough to be a practical issue through thick rubber and steel plies? Like what is the permeability rate of either?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom