dunkane 1964 fj40 restore thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

is this the correct filler tube i will need ?
1613726263074.png

The first on that you posted is the one that is correct for the F135
so where the vent tube is connected ? to the carb base ?

Last edited:
do you have a full picture of this setup ?
:)

because this setup seems to be for a post 69,
View attachment 2592889
The Toyota parts diagrams stop at 69 but in fact they show setups pre-69 sometimes. The routing on the top diagram is actually correct! Just imagine the carb base being a single port carb base and not two :).. The hose attaches to the PCV (which is attached to the oil filler tube as indicated), it runs up and over the valve cover (being held by the hose clip on the first valve cover nut) then down to the carb base port. Here is a very old pic of my engine back. You can see the PCV hose routing. The one thing I was missing at the time was that hose clip which is retained by the first valve cover bolt:
2707352188_ec5a91a628_c.jpg

Here are some pics I found of my second 135:
45338981745_64b85a8134_c.jpg

44434849720_ab1e3c3bee_c.jpg

Reactions: flx
thank you dudes !
is there a view of the carb base ? don't have it

thank you dudes !
is there a view of the carb base ? don't have it
Yeah I can get one later no problem. The OG one is made of some phenolic fiber material that can crack over time. I believe Mark @65swb45 sells a machined aluminum one. Maybe he can tell us if it has the PCV port built into it? I cant remember.

Here is a good pic from the SOR website actually. You can see the base (2) clearly with the PCV port sticking straight out.
1614186574172.jpeg

Last edited:
The first on that you posted is the one that is correct for the F135

Actually not all F135 had that one. With slits on the valve the other one would have been correct. With actual PCV valve you will be moving more volume out the crankcase. The downside is the make up air thru the valve cover is not sized or filter the air the style with tube running to the air cleaner. At one time had a few cruisers with the draft tube style on the oil fill neck. Those are all sold. Have some early oil bath air cleaners but never paid attention of they all had the tube for the hose going to the valve cover.

Actually not all F135 had that one. With slits on the valve the other one would have been correct. With actual PCV valve you will be moving more volume out the crankcase. The downside is the make up air thru the valve cover is not sized or filter the air the style with tube running to the air cleaner. At one time had a few cruisers with the draft tube style on the oil fill neck. Those are all sold. Have some early oil bath air cleaners but never paid attention of they all had the tube for the hose going to the valve cover.
i have the old style oil bath air cleaner... and the engine i found to install have thoses slits on the valve cover, so what will be the good setup finally ?

i have the old style oil bath air cleaner... and the engine i found to install have thoses slits on the valve cover, so what will be the good setup finally ?

Here are two oil bath air cleaners. The one on the right would be correct for a 64 FJ40 in the US market. For that one the bracket used the first and second head bolt. The earlier shorter one used the second and third bolt. Both have the tube that the hose going to the valve cover uses. Had a couple FJ25s with the slits in the valve cover and draft tube on the oil fill. Neither of those had the tube in the air cleaner.
View attachment 2597106
IMG_20210226_102908754.jpg

Checked the two 61s I have here. Only one has the tube on the insulator under the carburetor. Both have Rochester carburetors. Both have the vent tube on the valve cover and all the air cleaners do as well. I know which of the loose ones came with these cruisers. Guess for you just need to figure if you want a draft tube or PCV system. If your air cleaner has the tube you need to match the carburetor insulator base and oil fill to one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom