Before the build...am I on &@%# crazy pills? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, I grabbed some tires before the dry rotted ones collapsed and I couldn’t even take it to get registered. Sweet. Next, wait on the FSM and in the meantime, USE THE SEARCH!

Great info, I have about 30 threads bookmarked for all of my grand baseline plans. May as well start peeking around, right? Here are the issues, dude - I’m not finding a lot of good reference in the FSM. We’re gonna go with as a “me” problem, so I’m just asking for help on some ID

What the hell is this giant plastic tube that just...ends? (And what system does the FSM classify it under?)
BD7C4485-844B-41B6-B791-99BC560C3EB8.jpeg

Next up, right under that is another hose that goes...nowhere.

FBC6087C-E456-4A76-8AE3-B72980F0AE06.jpeg

I haven’t chased any wires or within the diagram yet, so this is kind of cheating I guess on asking questions. But, going with the theme of “what is this and why isn’t it connected to anything” - this plug is behind the washer reservoir, drivers side. Ideas?

DD72A636-68E3-4426-848D-20F94A007B81.jpeg

For the grand finale - did I get ripped off on the FSM here or does this at least seem correct?

C05825E4-4B46-4689-8812-933F78AC40D6.jpeg

So, that’s it for dumb question Thursday, folks!!

It's an air intake tube :) but I've never seen one on that side of a cruiser. What's it connected to on the front?
No clue on the second hose.
Spare electrical plugs are common throughout these. I have at least half a dozen that are not in use and all my systems work.
That does appear to be the correct FSM. All of them I have seen are that color. There may be a supplement that goes with it or that may only be for the later years.

I believe the plastic pipe is for an electric fan that blows air onto the exhaust after a hot shut down. Runs for a few minutes so you rig doesn't burn down in the walmart parking lot. The plug is for the fan.

I believe the plastic pipe is for an electric fan that blows air onto the exhaust after a hot shut down. Runs for a few minutes so you rig doesn't burn down in the walmart parking lot. The plug is for the fan.
I have never heard of such a device. Ever.

Plastic tube is the outlet of the engine compartment cooling fan (located behind the drivers headlight). It cools the intake manifiold on the 3FE powered FJ80's.

Hard to tell, but the rubber hose in the next picture looks like it may be associated with the air pump/smog system.

The electrical plug pictured is the plug for the headlamp washer system that wasn't fitted on US vehicles.

EDIT: I should have read @Stoshu reply before I started typing.

Folks, it's a 3FE, not an 1FZ-FE.

The hard plastic tube is the plenum for the intake cooling fan that lives behind the left headlight. It is fired from a thermistor that is mounted on the exhaust manifold through a time switch. It runs for 5 or 7 minutes after engine shut down and blows air on the intake manifold. Essentially it is a holdover from the 2F carb cooling fan.
In the EWD it is simply called "COOLING FAN".

The hose that is not connected is the vent for the silencer which is on the intake side of the smog pump.

The unused connectors on the left side are for non-US market items.

Last edited:
Note that there should also be a EWD (electrical working diagrams?) book. It has all the electrical circuits mapped out in various ways, so very useful for trouble-shooting.

Yup, just read them all at the same time, and I had finally found (by accident - naturally) an older thread about the headlight cleaner connector.

Thanks to you guys as always! Now back to parts collecting for baseline after a very deep cleaning.

And trying to figure out why my truck also doesn’t look like anyone else’s in the 80 tech forum when I get ready to do a transmission flush.

And trying to figure out why my truck also doesn’t look like anyone else’s in the 80 tech forum when I get ready to do a transmission flush.
You do realize you basically have a 1st gen 80 with a different engine and trans than a lot of other 80's right?

Yup, just read them all at the same time, and I had finally found (by accident - naturally) an older thread about the headlight cleaner connector.

Thanks to you guys as always! Now back to parts collecting for baseline after a very deep cleaning.

You do realize you basically have a 1st gen 80 with a different engine and trans than a lot of other 80's right?
Yeah, Im not sure that he does.

I’ll give it a shot.

Yes. I realize the 93-up have a different designation, but no, I don’t know every difference and what is just universally FJ80.

I’ll give it a shot.

Yes. I realize the 93-up have a different designation, but no, I don’t know every difference and what is just universally FJ80.
There's a lot of good info in the FAQ section along with some "newbie" guides to the differences between years of 80 Series.
Any questions you have have likely already been asked, as you now know. It is sometimes difficult to sift through the information, but the search function works well within this forum. It may take you some time to get the terms correct.

In short:
FJ80: 1991-1992; 3F-E engine, A440F 4 speed auto trans (no electronics); HF2A transfer case

Good news is you got the 3fe, she has a few less ponies but if you keep it under 3200 rpm it will be a dead reliable motor well into the 300,000 mile range.

I just got my first FJ80 a couple weeks ago. She’s thrashed and filthy and I’m just digging into the baseline maintenance now. The information on this forum has me keeping faith that it will all be worth it. But no question I already LOVE the truck
Okay, I grabbed some tires before the dry rotted ones collapsed and I couldn’t even take it to get registered. Sweet. Next, wait on the FSM and in the meantime, USE THE SEARCH!

Great info, I have about 30 threads bookmarked for all of my grand baseline plans. May as well start peeking around, right? Here are the issues, dude - I’m not finding a lot of good reference in the FSM. We’re gonna go with as a “me” problem, so I’m just asking for help on some ID

What the hell is this giant plastic tube that just...ends? (And what system does the FSM classify it under?)
View attachment 2589819

Next up, right under that is another hose that goes...nowhere.

View attachment 2589832

I haven’t chased any wires or within the diagram yet, so this is kind of cheating I guess on asking questions. But, going with the theme of “what is this and why isn’t it connected to anything” - this plug is behind the washer reservoir, drivers side. Ideas?

View attachment 2589838

For the grand finale - did I get ripped off on the FSM here or does this at least seem correct?

View attachment 2589842

So, that’s it for dumb question Thursday, folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom