Builds Red Wagon - 1 Tons, LS/SM465/NP205 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's good that it already has all the dents pre-applied. That roof looks really good though!

Got the muscle car oil pan swapped over and the ls3 manifolds and new hardware put on.
7CCA61D3-014D-4F4B-AF17-6382C6F510B1.jpeg

Waiting on a box from Rock Auto (mainly PM stuff) to get here and then I’ll slap dunk it in this weekend.
@cruisermatt

Last edited:
drop it into the engine bay from your 3rd story balcony!

Finished up installing the new flywheel, clutch kit, pilot bearing etc. New plugs, wires, coolant temp sensor, belt, and got a PS hose from Mosley Motors.

Swung it up and in Red this afternoon. Just glad the hoist went high enough. Lots of adjustment left to get it to sit just right, but it’s a start.

93E7FCA3-FDC2-4AD4-A834-D3C9C4D5D678.jpeg

3EE96B21-7940-4C00-9B84-E11F0C1E0DCD.jpeg

Long overdue update, but I was able to get a decent out of work done on the red wagon over Christmas/NYE break.

Motor Mounts:
Turns out the old frame motor mounts for the SBC were a little off for the 5.3. So I ended up making a 1.5" spacer to put on the drivers side to help push the motor over to the passenger side and get it centered. As it sat without the spacer, the PS pump was getting into the steering box and the driver side manifold was hitting the frame. The spacer helped all of that. I had to take the engine out a few times to get everything squared, but it is in there for the final time.

Transmission:
I also got the SM465 bolted in. If you remember earlier, I had a 2wd version I got for cheap as a spare. But, I ended up sourcing a local 4wd 465 that has the np205 adapter and 10 spline coupler bolted to it. Got the clutch fork an throwout bearing all in and setup. I'm going to run a stock Toyota/Aisin clutch master and slave for this. I will need to make a customer bracket/adapter for the slave cylinder and run a new clutch line (was missing).

Next up is to get a trans cross-member made up. I've got some Energy Suspension poly mount bushings on the way that I will use.

Fuel:
I also got the newly dipped/coated fuel tank installed, along with fuel pump, and all the 6AN fuel lines run and connected to the stock 5.3 fuel hard lines. I used Russell twist lock line and fittings. Also replaced the tank to fuel filler neck fuel line and all the smaller vent hoses.

Wiring Harness:
Next, I finished up the stock harness and got everything cleaned up and re-loomed. I ended up buying a Current Performance SA-1000 stand-alone fuse/relay module. I've got the harness partially laid out on the engine and most all connectors hooked up. I will be wiring up all the C1/C2 wires to the new standalone fuse/relay harness.

Power Steering:
Ended up pressing the easy button and ordered Cam's LS PS hose adapter. Great fit and finish and fast shipping, thanks again!

-I'm terrible at taking pics, so I'll get some later today of the progress. Our local club has a big ride at Windrock this weekend, so the work on Red has slowed down over the last week. Trying to get some maintenance/work done on my blue 60 and 80 (not sure which I'll take to Windrock yet).

Long overdue update, but I was able to get a decent out of work done on the red wagon over Christmas/NYE break.

Motor Mounts:
Turns out the old frame motor mounts for the SBC were a little off for the 5.3. So I ended up making a 1.5" spacer to put on the drivers side to help push the motor over to the passenger side and get it centered. As it sat without the spacer, the PS pump was getting into the steering box and the driver side manifold was hitting the frame. The spacer helped all of that. I had to take the engine out a few times to get everything squared, but it is in there for the final time.

Transmission:
I also got the SM465 bolted in. If you remember earlier, I had a 2wd version I got for cheap as a spare. But, I ended up sourcing a local 4wd 465 that has the np205 adapter and 10 spline coupler bolted to it. Got the clutch fork an throwout bearing all in and setup. I'm going to run a stock Toyota/Aisin clutch master and slave for this. I will need to make a customer bracket/adapter for the slave cylinder and run a new clutch line (was missing).

Next up is to get a trans cross-member made up. I've got some Energy Suspension poly mount bushings on the way that I will use.

Fuel:
I also got the newly dipped/coated fuel tank installed, along with fuel pump, and all the 6AN fuel lines run and connected to the stock 5.3 fuel hard lines. I used Russell twist lock line and fittings. Also replaced the tank to fuel filler neck fuel line and all the smaller vent hoses.

Wiring Harness:
Next, I finished up the stock harness and got everything cleaned up and re-loomed. I ended up buying a Current Performance SA-1000 stand-alone fuse/relay module. I've got the harness partially laid out on the engine and most all connectors hooked up. I will be wiring up all the C1/C2 wires to the new standalone fuse/relay harness.

Power Steering:
Ended up pressing the easy button and ordered Cam's LS PS hose adapter. Great fit and finish and fast shipping, thanks again!

-I'm terrible at taking pics, so I'll get some later today of the progress. Our local club has a big ride at Windrock this weekend, so the work on Red has slowed down over the last week. Trying to get some maintenance/work done on my blue 60 and 80 (not sure which I'll take to Windrock yet).

Wow, great job dude. The master at work!

Got the stock GM engine harness all complete and wired up to the Current Performance Fuse/Relay block. My main hurdle was figuring out where to put the "12v signal" and "Crank Signal" wires from the CP block into the stock Toyota ignition. After some digging and looking at schematics I figured it out. Now the fuel pump primes when ignition turned to Run and the engine turns over like it should when cranking. My biggest hurdle to firing it up was finding the elusive Drive by Cable throttle body.

I've been struggling to find a DBC throttle body at the local pull-a-part for months now, so I broke down and ordered one on eBay. It finally showed up Wed night, so I hooked it up and the 5.3 fired right up the first try. I will say, I was pretty nervous about the initial start-up because of all the modification I did to the stock GM harness, but the work really isn't that bad to deal with.

My main issue now is that it will die immediately when you let your hand off the key. I have ~60 psi fuel pressure when cranking and have tried a few other troubleshooting things (unplug MAF, unplug TPS, check grounds etc.). After a lot of googling, It seems like VATS (anti-theft detection) wasn't turned off on the computer. I sent it off back in December to a reputable guy and asked him to remove VATS and a few other things. It could have been an oversight, I'm not sure. But since he lives half way across the country, I sent my computer off to a buddy in Huntsville for him to check it over and make sure VATS is removed. If it is removed, then I have some more digging to do, but I'm really hoping that's the issue.

Here's the rest of my to-do list to finish up:

Engine:
-Add coolant and burp
-Wire in OBD2 port

Front Axle:
-Clean/grease driver side wheel bearings and install into hub
-Lug studs in new rotor/hub and add new hub seal

-Set spindle/hub preload
-Change front diff oil
-Mount calipers, pads, and brake line

Trans/Tcase:
-Cut off old/existing trans crossmember brackets
-Build transmission crossmember w/ poly mounts
-Replace tcase to trans adapter seals
-Source new bolts for tcase to trans adapter (3/8-16 1.25" x8)
-Change fluid in trans and tcase
-Source tcase rear output flange
-Measure for driveshafts
-Modify 60 trans tunnel cover

Clutch:
-Build slave cylinder bracket to mount off bellhousing
-Run hard/soft line from master cylinder to slave cylinder
-Bleed clutch and test throw

Throttle Cable:
-Modify 60 pedal
-Install GM cable and bracket

Power Steering:
-Remove 60 low pressure hose and hard lines
-Install Hayden power steering cooler and lines
-Add fluid and burp

Air Intake:
-Move overflow tank
-Install aftermarket air intake

Should be able to knock out the front axle rebuild stuff and finish up the power steering stuff this weekend.

Last edited:
Got the stock GM engine harness all complete and wired up to the Current Performance Fuse/Relay block. My main hurdle was figuring out where to put the "12v signal" and "Crank Signal" wires from the CP block into the stock Toyota ignition. After some digging and looking at schematics I figured it out. Now the fuel pump primes when ignition turned to Run and the engine turns over like it should when cranking. My biggest hurdle to firing it up was finding the elusive Drive by Cable throttle body.

I've been struggling to find a DBC throttle body at the local pull-a-part for months now, so I broke down and ordered one on eBay. It finally showed up Wed night, so I hooked it up and the 5.3 fired right up the first try. I will say, I was pretty nervous about the initial start-up because of all the modification I did to the stock GM harness, but the work really isn't that bad to deal with.

My main issue now is that it will die immediately when you let your hand off the key. I have ~60 psi fuel pressure when cranking and have tried a few other troubleshooting things (unplug MAF, unplug TPS, check grounds etc.). After a lot of googling, It seems like VATS (anti-theft detection) wasn't turned off on the computer. I sent it off back in December to a reputable guy and asked him to remove VATS and a few other things. It could have been an oversight, I'm not sure. But since he lives half way across the country, I sent my computer off to a buddy in Huntsville for him to check it over and make sure VATS is removed. If it is removed, then I have some more digging to do, but I'm really hoping that's the issue.

Here's the rest of my to-do list to finish up:

Engine:
-Add coolant and burp
-Wire in OBD2 port

Front Axle:
-Clean/grease driver side wheel bearings and install into hub
-Lug studs in new rotor/hub and add new hub seal
-Set spindle/hub preload
-Change front diff oil
-Mount calipers, pads, and brake line

Trans/Tcase:
-Cut off old/existing trans crossmember brackets
-Build transmission crossmember w/ poly mounts
-Replace tcase to trans adapter seals
-Source new bolts for tcase to trans adapter (3/8-16 1.25" x8)
-Change fluid in trans and tcase
-Source tcase rear output flange
-Measure for driveshafts
-Modify 60 trans tunnel cover

Clutch:
-Build slave cylinder bracket to mount off bellhousing
-Run hard/soft line from master cylinder to slave cylinder
-Bleed clutch and test throw

Throttle Cable:
-Modify 60 pedal
-Install GM cable and bracket

Power Steering:
-Remove 60 low pressure hose and hard lines
-Install Hayden power steering cooler and lines

Air Intake:
-Move overflow tank
-Install aftermarket air intake

Should be able to knock out the front axle rebuild stuff and finish up the power steering stuff this weekend.

Cole, you’re killing it on this build, dude!!

If your SM465 is an older one without the later factory 3rd gear sleeve spacer you should consider pulling it apart to upgrade. It's cheap but you can also turn one on a lathe or even make one in halves and install it through the side cover if you got creative. If you beat on them hard the snapring that holds 3rd gear in place gives out. Learned that the hard way.

The shifter cane also has a plastic bushing after the pivot ball and before the finger. Weld that sucker up solid and your shifter will no longer be able to go in 6" circles while in gear.

If your SM465 is an older one without the later factory 3rd gear sleeve spacer you should consider pulling it apart to upgrade. It's cheap but you can also turn one on a lathe or even make one in halves and install it through the side cover if you got creative. If you beat on them hard the snapring that holds 3rd gear in place gives out. Learned that the hard way.

The shifter cane also has a plastic bushing after the pivot ball and before the finger. Weld that sucker up solid and your shifter will no longer be able to go in 6" circles while in gear.
I’ve welded up the shifter cane already and it made a huge difference.

I haven’t read much about the 3rd gear spacer. I’m going to run it as is for the time
being. I’ll check out the video and see what I’m dealing with, thanks for sending that.

No pictures didn't happen

I’ve welded up the shifter cane already and it made a huge difference.

I haven’t read much about the 3rd gear spacer. I’m going to run it as is for the time
being. I’ll check out the video and see what I’m dealing with, thanks for sending that.
The video shows you exactly what happens... when you are full steam agianst 3rd gear in low range blasting up a snow covered hill in your K-5, and your heavy 39.5" Iroks (wearing V bar chains) grab a hidden log and suddenly catch traction.

There's a good reason they started putting them in at the factory.

You can see if it already has one just looking in the side cover. If you have the old style figure 8 adapter and 10 spline spud shaft on it I doubt it has one unless it's been rebuilt.

Ok I’m about 98% sure I found my issue why it’s dying immediately.

I sent my ECU to a buddy to check over VATS. He confirmed it was removed. Now I’m really bummed bc I know it’s got to be something with my wiring or a bad sensor/connector.

I have been going over connectors and sensors, grounds, etc for the past couple days making sure everything was hooked up right. I couldn’t find any issues. Well, this truck was originally DBW and I converted it to DBC (you have to add an IAC and TPS sensor). When I went to add new pins in the Red/Blue ECU connectors for each of these sensors, I must not have pushed them all the way through in the connectors. Tip: you should hear the pin click into place.

8B2A7063-B36C-4AA4-9D57-CE20C13189BB.jpeg

I popped off all of the red/blue connector covers to check the pinouts and noticed 7 pins were not sitting up flush like the others. I pushed them all back in and gave them a tug, all good now. I also made note of the color and number of each loose pinout, so I could cross reference to what sensor they went to. Low and behold they were all wires going to the newly installed TPS and IAC sensors pinouts.

Only bummer now is my ECU is still with my buddy and I can’t crank it up to try it out. He’s shipping it out today, so I should have it tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Got the ECU in the mail tonight. Plugged it in and ole Red fired right up. What a good feeling and I’m so glad I rechecked my pinouts in the ECU connectors.

Most of the stuff to finish up now is axle and driveline related, plus exhaust.

We’ve got a shakedown run planned for end of March at Hawk Pride with some fellow AL guys who are finishing up engine/suspension swaps and all of us will be on 37”+ tires. I can’t wait to get it out on the traila and see what it’ll do.

Haven’t done the best at updating this thread, but I’ve finished up the drivetrain swap and got to take it out this past weekend to Choccolocco Offroad Park for ACC Garage’s annual campout/reunion.

The combo of the wide d60s, wide offset wheels, granny low SM465 and LS is so much fun. The width really makes it feel planted and stable on off camber stuff.

Because it has a Detroit locker up front, I will be doing hydro-assist sooner than later. It was tough steering it through the skinny wood trails of Chocco.

Less talk, more pics as @cruisermatt has already said earlier in this thread :)

Little video of a decent hill climb I did. Video always makes it look easy, but there’s a pretty big V notch in the middle and pretty off camber.

View attachment 2677945

A011E11B-4701-4230-9550-49F25737E7EF.jpeg

E0CC734D-1B40-4C7E-8174-D30CEEA8CDD5.jpeg

ECF0BD7A-4367-4106-AF77-0617A72ADB03.jpeg

BA0414AB-0939-40DD-876F-9736A7E42E3E.jpeg

I'll vouch, 60 was the only rig to run that rutted hill and made it look easy. There wasn't anything he pointed it at it didn't just roll right up or down. Look forward to seeing it stretch a little more at GSMTR.

I see a 100 series on the trail behind you so it couldn’t have been that hard :flipoff2:

you going to Gsmtr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom