Tire air up & down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. I have Stauns deflators for airing down but I have a Viair auto-compressor for airing up. One tire at a time is very tiresome (no pun intended).
I have found that Stauns and other similar products do not give consistent results, which can be a problem if you 'push the envelope' on how low you go. Being at 11 PSI instead of 13 can be the difference between finishing the trail easily or changing a tire midway. YMMV.

@RockShoes made himself this contraption!

Side note, I've been using my Stauns for more than a decade now without issue, but I also don't automatically air down that low. Usually 18 PSI and then manually air down lower if I want to at the time.

I have been using my own homemade setup for years. I do a single side at a time, 2 clip on chucks, a length of hose, a tee and a Schrader valve. Then I have a short section of hose with a quick disconnect and another clip on chuck for my air compressor to my hose. Super simple and easy. I roll up everything and throw it in the compressor bag.

I screw these on and by the time I make it back around it’s maybe 1-2 minutes before I walk around and remove. I Air up 1 tire at a time, I can’t see how 4 airlines saves time airing up after taking out and putting that stuff away

B3128B44-67B8-4535-86AC-017A26CB48D9.jpeg

I have found that Stauns and other similar products do not give consistent results, which can be a problem if you 'push the envelope' on how low you go. Being at 11 PSI instead of 13 can be the difference between finishing the trail easily or changing a tire midway. YMMV.
I've been using my Stauns for 5+ years now and still love them. Very accurate for such a primitive device. I did a lot of research and there's a ton of copycats of Staun's design that continue to leak or are not very consistent and if it was any other brand than Stauns I might agree with you. I've had to calibrate my Staun's three times, once when they were new to 20 psi, a year later to 18 psi, and then last year to 20 psi. One of the adapters allowed the tire to drop to 14psi over the years of use. I opened them up and cleaned them out before the last calibration.

I screw these on and by the time I make it back around it’s maybe 1-2 minutes before I walk around and remove. I Air up 1 tire at a time, I can’t see how 4 airlines saves time airing up after taking out and putting that stuff away

View attachment 2588254
Airing up two tires per side would be very handy.

Airing up two tires per side would be very handy.
I guess if it fit in my compressor bag I’d use it. What’s the physics of airing up 2 tires with one compressor, is it more load on the compressor due to tire volume or same load?

I guess if it fit in my compressor bag I’d use it. What’s the physics of airing up 2 tires with one compressor, is it more load on the compressor due to tire volume or same load?

My MV50 compressor has no issue.

View attachment 2588254
Yep, I been using these now. I have ditched my ARB deflator since it is way too much screwing on and off and on etc. These 4 deflators go on each tire. stopwatch for 4 minutes and I am aired down. Takes no space. Air up is just the ARB hose on each tire for 1:30. Also ditched my screw on valve caps and have been using these push on rubber caps from @Outsane to keep the valves clean. https://solvefunction.com/shop/ols/products/150053214-quick-valve-caps
01EF1C3B-300C-485E-A076-3D7A3EE10ABF.jpeg

Last edited:
The load on the compressor is the same since the pressure is the same but the duty cycle is twice as long.

Its actually less load on the compressor, as you have less restriction with multiple valves attached instead of just one. With the tire valves are the bottle neck. The duty cycle will be longer at one go.

The load on the compressor is the same since the pressure is the same but the duty cycle is twice as long.
Gotcha just curious. My little 33” viair is still working and airing up 37” tires. It will die one day and I’ll need a bigger unit.

Here's a thought:

Divorce my puma from the tank and put it in a 2nd battery tray under the hood, controlled with a switch on the dash. Run hose from compressor to tank mounted under truck somewhere. From tank, 4-way manifold running out to each corner of the truck with a quick disconnect mounted to each bumper corner. Then 4 small straight sections of hose to run from the bumper corner to the tire.

Everything is hard mounted except the 4 small hose sections that go to each tire (36" lengths or something like that). Minimal stuff to pack up.

I'm sure something like this has been done. I'm just trying to find a good way to hard-mount my puma so I don't have to schlep it around anymore :eek:

@-Spike- and I just keep ours on electrical cord reels.

I do keep mine in stashed in a Victorinox bag to stay hip with the expo crowd.

Yep, I been using these now. I have ditched my ARB deflator since it is way too much screwing on and off and on etc. These 4 deflators go on each tire. stopwatch for 4 minutes and I am aired down. Takes no space. Air up is just the ARB hose on each tire for 1:30. Also ditched my screw on valve caps and have been using these push on rubber caps from @Outsane to keep the valves clean.View attachment 2588270
I don't see a link and the attachment link is broken.

Here's a thought:

Divorce my puma from the tank and put it in a 2nd battery tray under the hood, controlled with a switch on the dash. Run hose from compressor to tank mounted under truck somewhere. From tank, 4-way manifold running out to each corner of the truck with a quick disconnect mounted to each bumper corner. Then 4 small straight sections of hose to run from the bumper corner to the tire.

Everything is hard mounted except the 4 small hose sections that go to each tire (36" lengths or something like that). Minimal stuff to pack up.

I'm sure something like this has been done. I'm just trying to find a good way to hard-mount my puma so I don't have to schlep it around anymore :eek:
I considered doing exactly that! I've yet to figure out how to use the spare tire space. It's great for working on the rear axle with all the headroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom