34s vs 35s on the 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I'm taking my MY '18 into Slee in a few weeks. Sliders, BP-51 install, Spidertraxx 1.25" and RG 285/70/18 on all 4 corners. I've seen from other threads that this size works with minor modifications and no KDSS rubbing. This thread has me questioning what I've seen in other threads though. Is there anything else I should be doing to verify? Thanks!

I think it's possible to get 34s to fit without KDSS rubbing on RWs (or possibly stock wheels) if you have a patient alignment guy, but it requires very careful alignment adjustments to do it - too much caster and you rub the KDSS, but too little and you rub the body mount.

With 1.25" spacers you're going to have a lot of rubbing around the mud flaps and front fender liner. I'm +25 offset (basically equal to "factory wheels + 1.25" spacers) and I rubbed front and back of the fender liner with that tire size and offset, even with the mud flap removed. (Plus KDSS rub). Note that even if you don't rub when turning the wheel when parked, you may still rub when turning the vehicle while driving because the frame (which the suspension is mounted to) and body move independently.

YMMV of course.

I had some guys that do lifts look at my 34's and the 0.75" spacer should be enough to get it off the KDSS and yes it will move it closer to the mud flap, but the mud flap whent is bend back with the 1/2 moon leaves plenty of room.

My Point is the spacer moves it away from the KDSS and closer to the mud flap and body mount. So there is a balance.

1.25" spacers are common with after market wheels because they cover the whole stud. OEM wheels have room for the protrusion on the 0.75" spacers.

@linuxgod is 100% correct with this. I have experienced plastic(fender liner and mud flap) rubbing with any tire larger then stock and there is the possibility of a kdss rub depending on the wheel offset. I even had a minor kdss rub with lt285/65r18 tires during low speed tight turns due to body roll.

I have a good relationship with a shop that just started doing alignments. Their owner isn't very confident on how much fine tuning his computerized aligment machine can do. Made it sound like it gets things within the factory specs (green) and calls it good. I am going to see what he can do on my land cruiser to eliminate the minor rub I have on the passenger side kdss.

I sort of regretted going with the easy choice of KO2 285/70/17 on RW2 on my 2015, but not anymore. It performs and looks great, especially on stock height, and does not compromise anything much (except maybe gas mileage, but that's expected).

I've been debating what to do on the 2021 HE that will get lift. I am again leaning towards the easy choice of the same size - maybe with Nitto Ridge Grapplers this time.

If a vendor develops a proper KDSS relo kit with replacement sway bar links, then I would reconsider going 34"....

I finally got out there tonight to ad

I finally got out there tonight and pulled the mud flaps off. There was some serious rubbing going on. Also rubbing on the front liner and slightly on the KDSS. See pics. After removing the flaps on the front, there is still some slight rubbing on the front of the liner at full reverse. A little heat gun action will probably help, but lift is coming soon, so I may wait to do any adjusting.

View attachment 2573806View attachment 2573805

View attachment 2573808
Well, the BP-51's with 2721 rear springs have been ordered. Everything seems to be back ordered at this point from ARB, so waiting to see when they'll arrive. Also ordered the ARB skid plates.

FYI

I installed the Bora 3/4" Spacers today and now the 34" tires fits and clears the KDSS. Looks like about 1/2" clearance.
With the OEM stock wheels the spacers studs fit, no need to grind or trim.

I did need to take a heat gun and bend the front mud flaps a little to clear.
The rear fit and cleared.

This is with a BP51 lift.

FYI

I installed the Bora 3/4" Spacers today and now the 34" tires fits and clears the KDSS. Looks like about 1/2" clearance.
With the OEM stock wheels the spacers studs fit, no need to grind or trim.

I did need to take a heat gun and bend the front mud flaps a little to clear.
The rear fit and cleared.

This is with a BP51 lift.
Cool, glad to hear about the studs. Can you notice any visual difference on the extra wide stance? I am considering these spacers for a bit wider stance as opposed to the 1.5" which is too much and my tires rub...

Cool, glad to hear about the studs. Can you notice any visual difference on the extra wide stance? I am considering these spacers for a bit wider stance as opposed to the 1.5" which is too much and my tires rub...

1st pic
The Tires still fit inside the wheel wells with the spacer. Actually feels and handles much better driving with the 34's.

2nd pic
Picture of the approx. 1/2" KDSS clearance with the spacer. Prior to the spacer you could maybe slide a piece of cardboard between it like 1/16".

3rd Pic
Next fix the front mud flaps.
Heat up the front mud flap with a heat gun. Then once heated took a piece of firewood and used it to squeeze the soft mud flap clearance. When cool remove the firewood.

lc200-tires.jpg

lc200-kdss.jpg

lc200-mud-flap.jpg

@Fisher23 Well done, Looks great. Nice trick with the wood to hold it in place while the plastic sets.

Is picture 2 showing the KDSS clearance at full steering wheel lock? That’s substantial space you have there. Looks like more then my LT275/70R18.

@Fisher23 Well done, Looks great. Nice trick with the wood to hold it in place while the plastic sets.

Is picture 2 showing the KDSS clearance at full steering wheel lock? That’s substantial space you have there. Looks like more then my LT275/70R18.

Yes the pic showing the 1/2" KDSS clearance is at full locked turn. The 3/4" Bora Spacer is the perfect fit for the 34's.

Yes the pic showing the 1/2" KDSS clearance is at full locked turn. The 3/4" Bora Spacer is the perfect fit for the 34's.
Thats awesome, thanks for sharing this setup. I've been looking for that magical offset/wheel combo to make this size tire work.
Any idea what your alignment numbers are for caster, camber..etc?

So I'm taking my MY '18 into Slee in a few weeks. Sliders, BP-51 install, Spidertraxx 1.25" and RG 285/70/18 on all 4 corners. I've seen from other threads that this size works with minor modifications and no KDSS rubbing. This thread has me questioning what I've seen in other threads though. Is there anything else I should be doing to verify? Thanks!

I later added 0.75" BORA spacers which have eliminated the rubbing entirely and give the truck a nice subtle change to the stance.

It looks like the 34s rub, but if it does it's imperceptible inside the truck. This is at full lock which is a pretty uncommon situation, and I wheeled with this setup in Moab (the Bora 0.75" spacers did the trick) with no issues whatsoever.

psjjCwWhPweZCube9_y1ipFRIYzXRcBIeZMyjCnvLVHx2DxhNTEZHZwRRZIjUVfqgIiFe8E7lb_ABz2lVANvzAxEFe08Fxhjp6L0MJd0_rnCtqtciwQMfZBMQfccLF4rDOdLoyfO-fjm4M2gmytKyoXpRUeHf_DgJLi69Hpb69yqaTa7p0t0Q13XnqibJnFrq-m1cCaNtqJRdcpDqJ-gn-P4yFpzX-aEbZ91J8TW6ug2Mk70k07djqrB1727jG_2-_FUZIrdtNdn_GoC9mAn67GP8D773oydpMqdo0sK2FlEmeJZZm-vhHGCu5ZRiHVOrqJcAOg23tt-njm_pHHLPlf2Z_lP1vdELr2aUyZDwNsbpzjSg6ro9xbbjAytMR96SMo6v6u9xrI04sck_accwUrTZA-UHzCKwXUl0sYOmjgWE-0J_-qrDVsFuHmyXNKEJSXnL9FPN-yo3fb7KocjBxiQX_p9YtRoxM6gy62h3bIv1nbhteYH_7kM5kWvokZm0iHP6oN427HgstBTLZILtd5dRh5rRJoXXxcoLdaBbdEI-gRU5rmvEjfRr_gMc9mKaIw1qPkq4GaFIbi7mGXWbBlTvJvvTJTDBEOQ54oGhS1AvZ7PcWHCWaapoH3YU1ee3d6bdgkhHXzo2l2dtV2phZM9Ts-B8zPxNAtEVNLkbxCYx-dQE_SWYSe5lON73wPIZGn9QMJ_smV-ewPHXR-VCSCAvA=w727-h969-no

@joltman 1.25" is too much spacer. I know the first couple posts in the thread are super long, but I edited them down in the quotes above for clarity. I should have bolded the 0.75" Bora spacer I added when I started the thread (wow it's been almost 2 years already!), but that's the magic number. That's also why the 25mm offset Icon wheels work so well - it's the ideal offset combined with a good alignment which is what you'll get at Slee.

@joltman 1.25" is too much spacer. I know the first couple posts in the thread are super long, but I edited them down in the quotes above for clarity. I should have bolded the 0.75" Bora spacer I added when I started the thread (wow it's been almost 2 years already!), but that's the magic number. That's also why the 25mm offset Icon wheels work so well - it's the ideal offset combined with a good alignment which is what you'll get at Slee.
Thanks for the info! Guess I'll ask Slee to forgo the spacers and I'll live with none for a bit while I order the Bora.

Wouldn't 1.25" wheel spacers combined with +60mm offset factory wheels be nearly the same offset as +25mm aftermarket wheels?

Thanks for the info! Guess I'll ask Slee to forgo the spacers and I'll live with none for a bit while I order the Bora.
Icon wheels have an offset of +25mm.

OEM wheels have an offset of +60mm.
Spidertrax spacers are 31.75mm thick.
OEM wheels with Spidertrax spacers therefore have an effective offset of +28.25mm

Given this, Icon wheels and the OEM/Spidertrax combination have nearlly the same offset with a difference of only 3.25mm. Thus either option will work equally well.

Bora spacers are 19mm thick.
OEM wheels with Bora spacers therefore have an effective offset of +41mm. This creates clearance for the KDSS bar while keeping the tires further inside the wheel arches than if using Icons or the OEM/Spidertrax combo. This is a nice but subtle clearance increase over OEM Rock Warrior wheels which are +50mm offset.

Last edited:
Icon wheels have an offset of +25mm.

OEM wheels have an offset of +60mm.
Spidertrax spacers are 31.75mm thick.
OEM wheels with Spidertrax spacers therefore have an effective offset of +28.25mm

Given this, Icon wheels and the OEM/Spidertrax combination have nearlly the same offset with a difference of only 3.25mm. Thus either option will work equally well.

Bora spacers are 19mm thick.
OEM wheels with Bora spacers therefore have an effective offset of 41mm. This creates clearance for the KDSS bar while keeping the tires further inside the wheel arches than if using Icons or the OEM/Spidertrax combo. This is a nice but subtle increase over the Rock Warrior wheels which are +50mm.

What I was trying to say in not so many words haha.

ICON made a really smart move with the +25offset wheels. I’m running 285/75/17 and have no need for spacers. It appears to be the right balance and I don’t rub anywhere, including the KDSS bar at full lock. I could actually go a bit wider and be fine, which I will when I burn up my set of RG.

ICON made a really smart move with the +25offset wheels. I’m running 285/75/17 and have no need for spacers. It appears to be the right balance and I don’t rub anywhere, including the KDSS bar at full lock. I could actually go a bit wider and be fine, which I will when I burn up my set of RG.

Agreed. That is the easy button for sure, and I personally love the Icon wheels.

Completely agree. The combo of the 25 with a 285/75/17 is the sweet spot. That’s what Im running on my LX and aside from a little fender liner work, I have had no issues, even in normal height mode. It drives and handles perfectly. I think it provides the best geometry, or at least it feels that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom