AA Ron's FJ80 refresh (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bump! ha

haha yeah I wish I did have something more to update, but I do appreciate the push. The only thing I do have is that I've ordered a few small parts recently including rear hatch struts as well as hood struts, passenger side blinker light. I did also buy a pile of some interior parts from the 80 in my local pick n pull too including side steps, grab handle screw covers, and a nicer 2nd row seat that isn't of the same year but I think I will still use it. With that, I've ordered a wiring manual for this year's landcruiser, I have the Haynes manual but would like the original manual(if anyone is looking to sell me theirs ;))

I went and pulled the passenger side door lock for @ToyotaMatt to get me some keys made for it. They came in and work like a charm, although the locks are going to need a lot of cleaning and lubing with some WD-40.
By the way I think if I collect enough of the Toyota coins I can turn them in for a free landcruiser of my choice. :rofl:
1613534496122.png
1613534812252.png

1613534978960.png

Also picked up this snazzy clock to watch all those hours tick away while working on my landcruisers.
1613535081291.png

I'm getting ready to move into a new house and I'm hoping to bring the 80 to put in the garage so that I can more easily work on it, but that'll be for a couple months. I'm going to get out there this weekend to at least change out the struts, and put the door back together.

Stay tuned.

I had to pull the passenger door lock also to get some keys made the first week I had it. So well if you are looking for something to do without start too big of a project, dash/AC/instrument cluster lights are probably mostly burned out and is something you can take indoors to work on. :)

I had to pull the passenger door lock also to get some keys made the first week I had it. So well if you are looking for something to do without start too big of a project, dash/AC/instrument cluster lights are probably mostly burned out and is something you can take indoors to work on. :)
I like where you're head is at. Maybe I should start pulling some of these things and bringing them home with me to clean up, refresh and replace bulbs. I'll see if I can get that off this weekend.

I think I might take a battery out there with me and maybe that will give me a better idea of things like lights that are out.

I grabbed bulbs and nuts, bolts at the pull-a-part then just used a nine-volt battery and two wires from it to test the bulbs. way nicer sitting at the table in doors doing it. just things you can take in and work on while watching tv since it is cold out is my winter philosophy. ALL of my AC controls were out, shifter lights and most of the lighted switches had lighted bulbs.

Where’s your 80 at right now? I assumed you had it at your place. You’re lucky to have found one at the junk yard, I haven’t found one yet but I’m def BOLOing for one. You source an engine yet? Gonna stay 3FE or go LS?

Where’s your 80 at right now? I assumed you had it at your place. You’re lucky to have found one at the junk yard, I haven’t found one yet but I’m def BOLOing for one. You source an engine yet? Gonna stay 3FE or go LS?
It's at my bro-in-law's property which is like 45 mins away so I usually don't make it out there so often. That's part of the reason I want to get it home but I'll wait until I'm at the new place.
I did source another 3FE engine that's out in Bozeman, but I haven't gone out to pick it up as it's quite the drive. So for now I'll just keep working on some smaller things here and there and keep moving forward.

It's at my bro-in-law's property which is like 45 mins away so I usually don't make it out there so often. That's part of the reason I want to get it home but I'll wait until I'm at the new place.
I did source another 3FE engine that's out in Bozeman, but I haven't gone out to pick it up as it's quite the drive. So for now I'll just keep working on some smaller things here and there and keep moving forward.
Right on, I’m excited for you to get in your new casa so you can make more progress on the cruiser.

Post up above on Mud-Ship if anyone is going through there.

Maybe @Fj81 since he's an OTR driver and if he has a little extra load capacity and time on a haul........

Yeah I think I still can register as classic. I guess I had hoped to be able to register as normal, but maybe I'd be better off.
I think my real reservation is everything involved with a motor swap. I'm maybe not as confident in my skills to know everything involved with adapting a new motor to a foreign vehicle that it did not come out of. The wiring, computers, transmission compatibility, drivelines, etc. etc. So while probably most 80 owners will already know and tell me I won't be happy with the original 3FE, I almost feel like it's within my abilities to do (I think) and doing an engine swap might be outside of my wheelhouse.

My other thought and really only other thing I have to compare it to is my 76 FJ40 with a stock 2F. That engine is far from great, but it's original and what I sort of learned on. I freshened it up with new gaskets and it's still far from a LS motor with more power, but it seems to just work and FJ40 runs well enough. That's kind of what I think with this.

Maybe it's my lack of actual wheeling that is getting me and making me naïve. I've only ever used it for light wheeling if any so I'm probably missing the real life scenarios of the type of power comparison that I'm missing.

It's not like anything has been done to it yet anyway so maybe I can become more comfortable with the idea.

Yeah I think I still can register as classic. I guess I had hoped to be able to register as normal, but maybe I'd be better off.
I think my real reservation is everything involved with a motor swap. I'm maybe not as confident in my skills to know everything involved with adapting a new motor to a foreign vehicle that it did not come out of. The wiring, computers, transmission compatibility, drivelines, etc. etc. So while probably most 80 owners will already know and tell me I won't be happy with the original 3FE, I almost feel like it's within my abilities to do (I think) and doing an engine swap might be outside of my wheelhouse.

My other thought and really only other thing I have to compare it to is my 76 FJ40 with a stock 2F. That engine is far from great, but it's original and what I sort of learned on. I freshened it up with new gaskets and it's still far from a LS motor with more power, but it seems to just work and FJ40 runs well enough. That's kind of what I think with this.

Maybe it's my lack of actual wheeling that is getting me and making me naïve. I've only ever used it for light wheeling if any so I'm probably missing the real life scenarios of the type of power comparison that I'm missing.

It's not like anything has been done to it yet anyway so maybe I can become more comfortable with the idea.
The 91 and 92's are the best platform of the 80 to do an engine swap with something else.

They have the least amount of computer controlled doodads, the transmission is hydraulic instead on electric, the speedo is mechanical with a cable instead of from a computer.

Throw in a full float rear axle from a newer truck, upgrade the brakes to the larger FZJ sizes, change the rims to the FZJ stock rims and you'll have a reliable runner you can go lots of places with.

The LS is a good "package" you can buy these days that you can adapt as long as you can use a tape measure and locate a few wires. Not as difficult as more folks do it and there are places that make adapters.

If you’re going to keep the 3FE/auto combination and run stock 31s, I’d recommend a transfer case underdrive kit if you want a bump in power/driveability.

A lot of 3FE’ers seem to love the 33s/4.88s combo. A 1.1:1 underdrive high range (equivalent to a r&p change to 4.56:1) with the 31s is the same overall ratio as 4.88/33s but a lot cheaper and less involved. They seem to sell for around $500 usd.

This weekend I figured I would start taking some things out like was suggested so that I can take and clean them all up from home.
This was all that could fit in my Outback for now. I'll go back for more later.

PXL_20210222_004556293.jpg

Metal underneath looks to be good, but the padding under the carpet was pretty moist so I'm glad I pulled it all out now and removed the padding before any rust started to form.
I'm planning on putting some sound deadening if someone knows the best product for this.
PXL_20210222_011104134.jpg

PXL_20210222_011110464.jpg

PXL_20210222_011139939.jpg

Last thing I did was replaced the rear struts. The old ones were a little tired.
PXL_20210222_004600720.jpg

Holy cow Airon that’s a refresh

I would like to DONATE a KUSTOM ToyotaMatt ROCKER of your choice brother PM me please , i have quite the array of TOP SHELF Cereal Box Prizes and your a Winner and so is that sweet 80

Can these help ? :cool:

and a sh#T load more coins are always swag in my world

i love the 3FE , great power plant ........!

DSCN6509.JPG
DSCN6510.JPG
DSCN6877.JPG
DSCN6882.JPG

Oh man i didn't think you were going to take my advice so seriously i would have included sending off the drivers seatbelt to get rebuilt while you aren't driving it! Good start. My carpet was very nasty and after some simple green action and days drying out it looked new again. The place i need to add sound deadening the most tire humps. I already added some to the outer skin behind the plastic side panels.

Before you put carpet back in you might preemptively run wire for a rear camera and other assessories. I picked up a trailer wiring harness at Walmart and just stick it in to be wired to future projects. Takes 5 mins to lay the wire with the carpet out.

if anyone is NOT aware , @4Cruisers / John build's 3FE's for Classic Cruisers , and appently he's DAM good too

give him a shout too

mud SUPPORTING VENDOR as well ........

Oh man i didn't think you were going to take my advice so seriously i would have included sending off the drivers seatbelt to get rebuilt while you aren't driving it! Good start. My carpet was very nasty and after some simple green action and days drying out it looked new again. The place i need to add sound deadening the most tire humps. I already added some to the outer skin behind the plastic side panels.

Before you put carpet back in you might preemptively run wire for a rear camera and other assessories. I picked up a trailer wiring harness at Walmart and just stick it in to be wired to future projects. Takes 5 mins to lay the wire with the carpet out.
Ooh another good idea. I'll look at adding that when I get the rest of the interior is out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom