Rear cross member and pintle hitch.....are there real numbers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

copy that. We were discussing modifying a flat structural plate to fit a location where a 90 degree plate was called for at work last week. (I left things alone and grabbed the proper missing 90 degree plate).

I did see this a while back. How the heck can you call a ball mount "tactical?" Good grief.
Amazon product ASIN B0876WSC86

^^^^

Well.......because its SAYS so right on the special tag.....right? ;)

And then there is the crosshatching on the side of the hitch, presumably to provide a better grip when installing it.

And most importantly.....its all black. But maybe that is more 'stealthy' than 'tactical'.

Should sell like hotcakes once the Jeep Owners start to see it for sale.

copy that. We were discussing modifying a flat structural plate to fit a location where a 90 degree plate was called for at work last week. (I left things alone and grabbed the proper missing 90 degree plate).
That was the smart thing to do (just find the proper part). Depending upon the application, making your own plate with a 90° bend from flat stock....would certainly introduce an amount of bond separation. Once the Elastic Limit is reached and the Yield Point realized....then some degree of bonding/strength is lost. Perhaps not critical if only slightly bent (permanent deformation), but that depends on the application.

I've got my eyeballs on this one.

Deletes the chrome ball and bolt in favor of a forged 2" ball/hook. Should suit my needs, if not exceed (short distances with about 3k# behind). @flintknapper where did you find the chain plate? most I've found are in the $50 range with shipping...sounds high to me.

The only real debate: On my last trip the frame mounted receiver took good a hit on a rock step, so I am debating if I reinstall use as a rear bash plate / place to mount bikes. It's toast for towing since one of the 4 captive nuts in the frame broke free. I guess, I could use the chain holes as a bonus. I really hate that receiver though...

I guess having a 295 tire in the spare well will also serve a bash plate too. :(

Deletes the chrome ball and bolt in favor of a forged 2" ball/hook. Should suit my needs, if not exceed (short distances with about 3k# behind). @flintknapper where did you find the chain plate? most I've found are in the $50 range with shipping...sounds high to me.

The only real debate: On my last trip the frame mounted receiver took good a hit on a rock step, so I am debating if I reinstall use as a rear bash plate / place to mount bikes. It's toast for towing since one of the 4 captive nuts in the frame broke free. I guess, I could use the chain holes as a bonus. I really hate that receiver though...

I guess having a 295 tire in the spare well will also serve a bash plate too. :(

Ebay, nice condition and quality $30.00

I went with the ball type set up because I tow with both 1-7/8" and 2" trailer tongues. So I needed to be able to swap them out.

BUT....after having towed some now, I have found that the height of the pintle is enough different from the frame mounted receiver I took off...as to introduce a lot of tilt to the trailers being pulled. And I have a sagging suspension.

I am getting ready to put new springs and shocks on my Cruiser and that is going to make the issue even worse.

So I am contemplating putting the frame mounted receiver back on the vehicle to tow the larger trailer in a flatter stance. The smaller one doesn't really matter.

Ebay, nice condition and quality $30.00

I went with the ball type set up because I tow with both 1-7/8" and 2" trailer tongues. So I needed to be able to swap them out.

BUT....after having towed some now, I have found that the height of the pintle is enough different from the frame mounted receiver I took off...as to introduce a lot of tilt to the trailers being pulled. And I have a sagging suspension.

I am getting ready to put new springs and shocks on my Cruiser and that is going to make the issue even worse.

So I am contemplating putting the frame mounted receiver back on the vehicle to tow the larger trailer in a flatter stance. The smaller one doesn't really matter.
Hmmmmm. Good point!! Might owe you a beer for that one. I Just added some heavy springs and a lift. Dang it. That pintle hitch will probably be too high for the trailer, and introduce an agile that would drag the prop.
My stock set up was way too low too. saggy springs....I had to flip the ball to the bottom of the hitch so the trailer mounted spare would not drag over the crest of the boat ramp. The plot thickens....might need to repair that captive nut somehow.

I’ll look at the height difference once I get the new tires on next week before pulling the trigger.

Hmmmmm. Good point!! Might owe you a beer for that one. I Just added some heavy springs and a lift. Dang it. That pintle hitch will probably be too high for the trailer, and introduce an agile that would drag the prop.
My stock set up was way too low too. saggy springs....I had to flip the ball to the bottom of the hitch so the trailer mounted spare would not drag over the crest of the boat ramp. The plot thickens....might need to repair that captive nut somehow.

I’ll look at the height difference once I get the new tires on next week before pulling the trigger.

Part of my trouble is that both of the trailers I pull most often....have fairly short 'tonques' on them....so the angle is affected more. But yes, do consider that. I hate having to put my frame mounted receiver back on the truck....but looks like the best thing to do. I can still use the pintle for other chores.

I'm about to digress, so fair warning. in the above pictures of @flintknapper surplus safety plate, what's the prescribed method for introducing a bend in metal that doesn't immediately create a fatigue area? Is it simply heating then bending? More of a fab question I know. Sorry.
If you want more info about fabricating and bending the metal in more detail from a fabrication perspective, I can advise on how most fab shops get there based on material and tooling, within the failure ranges of the material.

I look at the replacement "recovery points" and cringe at most of them that I see. That's a different topic though.

Part of my trouble is that both of the trailers I pull most often....have fairly short 'tonques' on them....so the angle is affected more. But yes, do consider that. I hate having to put my frame mounted receiver back on the truck....but looks like the best thing to do. I can still use the pintle for other chores.

Maybe a lift for the trailer? :p

Maybe a lift for the trailer? :p

You know actually that could be possible. Both trailers have leaf springs mounted under the axle tubes, those could be put on top and longer 'shackles' could be used also.

Don't know that I want to go to all that trouble...but it IS a thought.

Just need to find a pair of 37"-40" tires that fit on 6"x14"trailer wheels....should be good to go....that's gotta be on DHgate or something :rainbow:

Just need to find a pair of 37"-40" tires that fit on 6"x14"trailer wheels....should be good to go....that's gotta be on DHgate or something :rainbow:

Hah, don't think I can get those to fit on either one of these:

Lil'Blue1.jpg

small trailer3.jpg

time to deflare the trailer??! Would look equally ridiculous here too!!! :rofl:
Would be a conversation starter at the ramp tho....
1613525945292.png

I have that Holland on my 80 and it has served me well. See photo in post #7.

Instead of a chain plate you can still buy the OEM Toyota eye bolts (need 2 for the bottom holes). Here's a photo of an OEM Pintle on my 200 series.

C2EF1DF8-71B5-4C1A-BB41-8156F3541266.jpeg

I have that Holland on my 80 and it has served me well. See photo in post #7.

Instead of a chain plate you can still buy the OEM Toyota eye bolts (need 2 for the bottom holes). Here's a photo of an OEM Pintle on my 200 series.

View attachment 2587822

I like those. Anyone have a part number for them or a source for them.

I like those. Anyone have a part number for them or a source for them.
Easy enough to find by searching for a GCC spec FZJ80: ToyoDIY.com - https://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_G_1997_TOYOTA_LAND+CRUISER_FZJ80L-GCMEKV_5152.html

51985HOOK, EYELET PINTLE
51985-60011

Edit: This is the right length for an 80 series. All or maybe all GCC spec Land Cruisers that I have seen come with a pintle hook but I know the 200 series eyelet is longer so if someone runs across this number don't just assume it will fit every Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
I have no clue know how y’all tow anything with those hitches with an 80 that is lifted. A drop hitch is a must.

Mines not even lifted. Sagging rear springs in fact and only 33" tires.

Any higher than it is now and the angle of the trailer would become pretty severe.

I'll probably have to reinstall my frame mounted receiver when I get new springs and shocks.

I can still pull the smaller trailer as it is now....since I use it primarily to haul off trash and tote firewood etc.....doesn't matter if it tilts some for that.

I have no clue know how y’all tow anything with those hitches with an 80 that is lifted. A drop hitch is a must.
Ha. Yep!

Is there a riv-nut up to the task to replace the missing captive nut in my frame rail so I can remount the normal $&@$ receiver?

alternative idea: Home Depot drop hitch? Do you think you pre-drill the holes before nailing it to the frame rails, or just use a BFH?

1613580067958.jpeg

Ha. Yep!

Is there a riv-nut up to the task to replace the missing captive nut in my frame rail so I can remount the normal $&@$ receiver?

alternative idea: Home Depot drop hitch? Do you think you pre-drill the holes before nailing it to the frame rails, or just use a BFH?

View attachment 2588057
You could put a bit of weld in place of the missing bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom