COMPLETE: Grom Audio VLine VL2 Group Buy Round 3 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately, I'm not far enough into my build to consider hopping on the Grom bandwagon, but I wanted to interject with an idea I've been kicking around. I'm assessing interest in an app designed for just this situation.

I'm envisioning a "kickstarter for group buys" type of application (without the risk of kickstarter since it's not focused on products that don't yet exist) where either a manufacturer could offer up a group buy, or purchasers could band together to demonstrate interest and request a group buy from someone like Grom. The app would manage number of available spots, number of sign-ups, handle the cashflow, etc.

If folks here would be willing to answer just a few quick questions, it would really help me understand if there's interest. I've put together a questionnaire here.

I was reading some older threads about people that don't use their cd changer so they gutted them and used it as an extra storage slot. I've been thinking about doing that with my old cd changer. Has anyone figured out an area to store the vline if it isn't where the cd changer previously went?

Can we get a poll to better understand total satisfaction from the units? I know most people only post when units down work, but it looks like there have been enough units sold to this group to have a decent understanding of generally usable and happiness and if it's worth the purchase.

Can we get a poll to better understand total satisfaction from the units? I know most people only post when units down work, but it looks like there have been enough units sold to this group to have a decent understanding of generally usable and happiness and if it's worth the purchase.
Overall I like it and would buy it again I think. If not, I think the better alternative would be to convert from navigation to non nav ac and run a standalone android headunit.

The only things that bother me are the "noise" as grom called it that I get on my screen. Also, once in every 50-100 or so times I start the car the bluetooth fails all together and the unit needs to restart for bluetooth to work again. This wouldn't be that big of a deal except wireless apple car play won't work. And turning the car off and on doesn't necessarily fix it because when the car turns off the unit goes to sleep for about 5 minutes or so thinking it will be activated again so it can fast boot.

What does bug me is that every time I go into reverse and back out of reverse, the car defaults back to the factory navigation and does not go back to the grom unit screen. I don't think that is the fault of grom itself but of the factory navigation, but the grom unit is using the factory components so felt it important to lump it in with that.

As a standalone carplay interface it works fine for my needs.

I'd give it a 3.5 maybe 4 out of 5 stars. It works and has the features I want. It works most of the time or close enough to be useable for my needs.

I'm generally happy with the unit, though it is a quirky system.

I made a video here:

One recent discovery is the cable is super important for wired CarPlay. I was using some high end Anker cables and was getting spotty connections. Switching back to Apple cables it works as well as it can.

I was reading some older threads about people that don't use their cd changer so they gutted them and used it as an extra storage slot. I've been thinking about doing that with my old cd changer. Has anyone figured out an area to store the vline if it isn't where the cd changer previously went?

Previous owner had a VLine VL1 installed, which I believe is the exact same form factor as the VL2 (just worse specs/older OS than the VL2). I didn't even realize the car had it until after I bought it as the factory CD player is still in place. Essentially whoever installed it just shoved the VLine into the far passenger side of the dash, behind/to the right of the glove box. There's enough wiring and stuff back there that it stays in place and doesn't rattle.

Here's a pic of when I pulled it out to update the firmware (on the VL1 you need direct access to the USB ports to do that):
PXL_20201003_025350332.jpg

That's the right hand side of the opening for the glove box in the dash. As you can see, it's at an angle to the glove box opening. Just push it back behind the glove box at that same angle and that's where it lives.

I generally like my unit but I only use it for wireless CarPlay. The system has it's quirks that I think others have already described.

One thing I was unhappy about was discovering the awful charging specs of the USB ports. I think for the cost they could have included at least one quick charge port. The top USB plug is basically only capable of keeping an iPhone from dying while in use, and the second USB is for "data only" or some crap.

Not a deal breaker but it was disappointing to find out on the first long road trip with the unit installed.

One thing I was unhappy about was discovering the awful charging specs of the USB ports. I think for the cost they could have included at least one quick charge port. The top USB plug is basically only capable of keeping an iPhone from dying while in use, and the second USB is for "data only" or some crap.

Not a deal breaker but it was disappointing to find out on the first long road trip with the unit installed.

That 10.4” “tesla” screen for the 470 is like that and utterly dumb. It’s better to use and tolerate wireless carplay and another charging solution. Honestly I just want carplay, nothing more nothing less. I hate it that I/we have to use an android radio to get it but it is a necessity for a lot of us.

Good to hear regarding the cd changer and grom unit fitting at the same time. Does anyone have a non-operational cd changer that they would be willing to sell rather inexpensively so that I can gut it to use for storage? I don't quite want to guy my working cd changer in case I decide to get rid of the grom unit.

Does anyone know if upgrading from a GROM VL1 to VL2 is just a simple plug-n-play swap? Just remove cables from the VL1 and plug in the VL2, no new wiring required? Seems like that would be the case since as best I can tell the VL2 is just a spec (faster CPU + more RAM) + software update.

Does anyone know if upgrading from a GROM VL1 to VL2 is just a simple plug-n-play swap? Just remove cables from the VL1 and plug in the VL2, no new wiring required? Seems like that would be the case since as best I can tell the VL2 is just a spec (faster CPU + more RAM) + software update.
No idea, I would reach out to GROM directly about that.

If anyone is thinking about selling their GROM unit for whatever reason - I am interested!

I'm also interested in starting another Group Buy if there's more people in my boat.

this look like a much better solution than the Android Tesla Style system that some seem to have issues with.
Looks Very Reliable....???
Has anybody installed one yet?

That brings us to 12:

1. @bcomnes GX470 2004 ✅
  2. @purplevoodoo 2009 GX470 ✅
  3. @rustyboy155 (Missing email + Name + model year, DM PLZ ❌)
  4. @JahRide (Missing email + Name + model year, DM PLZ ❌)
  5. ($529.95) @andymmiami 2006 gx470 ✅
  6. @CalEngineer 2013 LX570 ✅
  7. @Thor88 2008 GX470 ✅
  8. @chrspck 2007 GX470 ✅
  9. @Papamo 2007 GX470 ✅
  10. ($479.95) @CBP1468 2010 GX460 ✅
  11. @WarWagon 2004 LX470 ✅
  12. @CDNGX 2008 GX470 ✅
  13. ...
  14. ...
  15. ...
  16. ...
  17. ...
  18. ...
  19. ...
  20. ...
  21. ...
  22. ...
  23. ...
  24. ...
  25. ($449.95)...
Has anyone installed or seen in action. Looks like a great alternative to the 10.4" Android Tesla Style swap

Has anyone installed or seen in action. Looks like a great alternative to the 10.4" Android Tesla Style swap

I will post my results when I install it on my 460. Since I have the tesla screen in my 470 I will be able to do a proper review.

I will post my results when I install it on my 460. Since I have the tesla screen in my 470 I will be able to do a proper review.

Did you happen to do Write up on the Tesla Style
I was about to pull the trigger on a Tesla Style then I found this

This will be the Wife's daily ride and am thinking this will be less complicated for her to use with her iPhone
If it were my ride id go Tesla but I'm a nerd so....

Did you happen to do Write up on the Tesla Style
I was about to pull the trigger on a Tesla Style then I found this

This will be the Wife's daily ride and am thinking this will be less complicated for her to use with her iPhone
If it were my ride id go Tesla but I'm a nerd so....

I did. It wasn’t a good review. Search for my username and “tesla” and you’ll find my posts about it on here and on clublexus.

I ran into a strange issue that I am curious to know if anyone else has had.
Today while driving to work my Vline just wouldn't boot up. It was in the correct audio mode but I had a black screen. When I got to work I peaked into my glovebox and the lights on the Vline are on. I tried unplugging the unit and plugging it back in and then turning the car back on but there was not change in the Vline performance.

I ran into a strange issue that I am curious to know if anyone else has had.
Today while driving to work my Vline just wouldn't boot up. It was in the correct audio mode but I had a black screen. When I got to work I peaked into my glovebox and the lights on the Vline are on. I tried unplugging the unit and plugging it back in and then turning the car back on but there was not change in the Vline performance.

I sometimes have to audio on/off cycle (press volume knob in), which usually fixes a black screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom