Selling an FZJ80 for a 200 Series/LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wassup MUD,

4 years ago, I was looking for my first car. I was able to find a local man selling a clean, unlocked, 180k miles '93 FZJ80 for 4,000 dollars. I bought it, have daily driven it and put another 30k miles on the clock. I love this truck, it has been very reliable. However I have been wanting more power. With 80 series rapidly appreciating over the last few years, would it make sense just to take some profit on my FZJ80 and use it to help buy a preowned 200 series or LX570?? I am just worried I am going to miss my 80 too much if I sell though. As much as I want more power, I am worried about losing the charm of the 80. I don't do any heavy rock crawling just using mostly as a daily driver. I put a picture of her below.

With 80 series prices skyrocketing, would it make sense to sell the 80 and buy a preowned 200 Series/LX570 for 20k-25k? I feel that I could get in the ballpark of 11k-15k for my FZJ80. My brain is telling me to go with the 200, but my heart is saying to stick with the 80.
FZJ80.jpg

If you have to ask you probably shouldn’t sell. The 200, while nice, lacks a lot of things that makes the 80 unique and worth the uptick in value and why everyone wants one now.... keep the 80, take care of it, save up and get a v8 4th gen 4runner, they go for less than 10k a lot of times. They have the same engine as the 100, weigh less and in a lot of ways more capable than the 100if not the same....

Last edited:
Go for it. DD a 200 would be awesome. Also the V8 4th gens and 200 series don't have the same engine. 4.7 vs 5.7
Sorry I was thinking the 100.

Sounds like you’ve defined your mission and needs. Daily driver with power. The 200 fits the bill. Go test drive some 200’s, try it out and see how your heart feels afterwards.

Or you could bolt on a turbo kit from Wits’ End. I’ll bet it would be cheaper than buying a 200 too.

Last edited:
Repower the 80 and have what you really want.... a 200 for $20k is gonna have a million miles on it. The way I see it, you have room to spend the $15k to have a repower done professionally because you basically stole the 80.

Look up all the replies the other guys asking this exact same question.

See the responses and conclusions there.

Maybe you will find your epiphany.

I have a supercharger and gears. They make the 80 feel like way less of a dog at 4,000 ft of elevation and the supercharger doesn’t even ad that much. A turbo and gears might give you the power you want without the cost of a ls swap or a 200.

I was in this exact same boat a couple years ago, came very close to pulling the trigger on a '17.

I love 200's and anyone who thinks they are a "minivan" probably hasn't taken them off pavement, they're pretty spectacular.

That being said, for me it really came down to the 80 just being more fun to drive. So at the end of the day I decided to refresh the 80's interior with sound dampening & new carpet, installed a BP-51 kit, and then rebuilt the engine with a Wit's End turbo.

I'll probably still pick up a 200 down the road for the :princess: but I will definitely be daily driving the 80 for years to come.

Money argument: Are you the type of person who typically doesn't hang onto a vehicle for very long? If so, I would try to hang onto the 80 as long as you can as the value is appreciating and it will hold its value or increase over the next few years. Any 200 you can get for $25,000 is already going to be high miles and/or beat up. The 200 market still has probably another decade of depreciation before the prices stabilize. So if you buy a 200 now and only hang onto it for say, 5 years, you will be losing money where the 80 you would be money ahead.

That said, if you've driven the 200 and it floats your boat, then go for it. They're really nice trucks by all accounts, and better suited for pavement pounding anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom