Starting an engine that hasn't run for 2 years (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I acquired a 1988 Toyota 4x4 the other day, and it hasn't run in about 2 years. Other than pulling the plugs and pouring about a tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, changing the oil and filter, checking the radiator level (still almost full), and a new battery, any other advice? I was going to leave the spark plugs out and go ahead and crank it over, assuming the starter works. Thanks!

Throw a breaker bar and turn it over by hand 1st.

If it sat complete it's probably fine. I like to crank them over with the plugs out until they get oil pressure before firing. 22re? No water in the oil?

2nd the idea of very gently turning the engine by hand with plugs removed. Once you can turn it through with no "snaggy" spots, crank it with the started until you see oil pressure come up. Reinstall plugs and give her a try.

OK I did all that. Drained the bilge oil from the engine, filter was bone dry. New oil, new filter, got the battery connected, it cranks over but spewed a ton of junk out of the cylinders. Mostly MM oil and oil remnants and crud I hope. Plugs are back in, will try a real startup Saturday after I drain the tank and refill it.

Truck was traded for a Samurai so I think it was worth it.

3.jpg

4.jpg

That horrible grille, lights along the rocker panels, sun visors, tailgate cap, etc all in the trash.

If it sat complete it's probably fine. I like to crank them over with the plugs out until they get oil pressure before firing. 22re? No water in the oil?
No water in the oil. Yes it sat complete and sealed other than the exhaust. Checked the air filter and it hadn't been chewed up by rats. No rat damage at all TG. Yes 22RE.

No oil pressure gauge sadly. It's a low-trim rig. Bench seat, vinyl floor, no tach. Less to fix that way I guess. Also no AC, though.

No water in the oil. Yes it sat complete and sealed other than the exhaust. Checked the air filter and it hadn't been chewed up by rats. No rat damage at all TG. Yes 22RE.
If you end up needing injectors, I have a set from a early 22re that were cleaned and flow matched years ago. A friend tried them and said they didnt work in his later model 22re, but he may have done something wrong (he was not a mechanic by any means).

No oil pressure gauge sadly. It's a low-trim rig. Bench seat, vinyl floor, no tach. Less to fix that way I guess. Also no AC, though.
Should sill have in idiot light on the dash that kicks off about 4psi iirc. if its working, a lot of the time they are burned out

although toyota pumps are much better, I miss being able to pull the distributor and spin the oil pump with a drill on old american junk. made me feel much better about starting a motor that sat for a long time. I can say that I have done a lot of toyota motors that have say for a long time and have never had issues doing everything listed above

I restarted a 5 year dead fj60 and had significant rust in tank and fuel lines. Destroyed 3 carbs with multiple filters even after boiling out tank and soaking lines.

look at the tank!!!

Did the motor fire yet? Two years on a motor, definitely want oil circulating first, but other than that the fuel system is your enemy. Today garbage oxygenates in 6-8 months

Did the motor fire yet? Two years on a motor, definitely want oil circulating first, but other than that the fuel system is your enemy. Today garbage oxygenates in 6-8 months

Yes. Pulled the plugs, poured in a little MMO, let it sit for a day, drained the tank and added fresh gas. Checked for rodent nests in the airbox (none), changed the oil and filter (black), put in a new battery, cranked it over and made a hell of a mess with all that MMO gook from the open spark plug holes. Put the plugs back, hooked up the wires, grimaced and turned the key.

Runs great!

Yes. Pulled the plugs, poured in a little MMO, let it sit for a day, drained the tank and added fresh gas. Checked for rodent nests in the airbox (none), changed the oil and filter (black), put in a new battery, cranked it over and made a hell of a mess with all that MMO gook from the open spark plug holes. Put the plugs back, hooked up the wires, grimaced and turned the key.
I wonder if they have tried to make a MMO for humans yet? I could use some.

Thats awesome, glad it fired!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom