Grind shifting between 4 hi & 4 lo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m considering getting or helping my son get a vehicle. Thinking Tacoma but looked at a 2013 FJ Cruiser today. Pretty cool. Happened to be at a dealer 10 min away. I have had various Land Cruisers but not real familiar with the FJs. I did not have time to test drive but did start it. I put it in neutral and shifted from 2 Hi to 4 Hi. Then to 4 Lo. Went to shift back and I could not get it back to 4 Hi or back to 4 Lo. Too much grinding and I did not want to force it. Tried putting in drive and reverse briefly but did not change. Had to shut motor off to shift back. Am I missing something or is there a problem? Thanks for any help!

I remember seeing a lot of similar posts on the FJ forums and it is somewhat common, especially if you are not used to it. Also more difficult if the truck is cold. Need to swiftly shift it down to 4LO.

FYI you can shift from 2HI to 4HI even while driving. Just speculating but had you shifted from 2-4 while moving and/or without putting trans in N, then stopped, trans in N, then 4LO (which is a more common chain of events) then maybe it would have the trans more in sync with the transfer case. Pretty much straight from 2HI to 4LO is not as easy.

That isnt to conclude the truck may not have an issue, but it may need another test drive.

I remember seeing a lot of similar posts on the FJ forums and it is somewhat common, especially if you are not used to it. Also more difficult if the truck is cold. Need to swiftly shift it down to 4LO.

FYI you can shift from 2HI to 4HI even while driving. Just speculating but had you shifted from 2-4 while moving and/or without putting trans in N, then stopped, trans in N, then 4LO (which is a more common chain of events) then maybe it would have the trans more in sync with the transfer case. Pretty much straight from 2HI to 4LO is not as easy.

That isnt to conclude the truck may not have an issue, but it may need another test drive.
I tried my tricks trying get something in sync. Went into 4HI.. then N.. then 4LO easy enough. I’m guessing that clean FJ Cruiser may have never been or rarely been in 4LO in its 122k mile life. Probably just needs to get used. Or at least engaged occasionally. Which is a good idea for any 4wd. Thanks

Update... I did test drive this FJ yesterday. Thought I should drive one before getting too serious. Drove great.. really solid. Found some gravel and shifted in & out of 4LO without issue. Just needed to warm up and get used. Really liked it. However the carfax showing a year in Alaska and 5 years in Hawaii gave me rust nightmares. The rust doesn’t look bad but I have concerns it will grow. Even in California. If I do get a FJ I plan on keeping for a long time.. So... gotta pass on that one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom