VIN plate location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I purchased a mostly restored 1976 FJ40 and the VIN plate had not been reattached after frame off restoration and full paint. I've googled images and searched photos on BAT trying to determine the correct location of the VIN plate in the engine compartment, (I'm aware there is another plate on the door frame) From my research it looks like somewhere around this time the VIN plates were relocated from the right fender well near the battery to the right firewall above the cabin blower motor. The fenders were replaced with new during the restoration so there are no holes but there are no drill holes on the firewall either. I'm really thinking the VIN should be on the fender on my model year 1976 but just looking for any confirmation from those who REALLY know these vehicles.

It's on the passenger fender of my '77, it's on the firewall of my '78.

I've only seen them screwed to the fender. Is yours riveted or screwed to the fender?

The driver's A pillar was always riveted but under the hood used screws until it moved to the firewall with the 78 model. Early sixties were on the firewall held on with machine screws and nuts. In the mid sixties when it moved to the fender sheet metal screws were used. At first four screws then down to two when the plaque for smaller in 75?

Confirm what @Living in the Past says. These are phillips screws holding the ID plate:

IMG_0601.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom