Builds My Mexican 1965 FJ40V Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I asked around in an old VW owner's club.

My leads took me to Mr. Flores. He restores steering wheels and replicates knobs and parking lights for old VW buses and Bugs.

IMG_1702.jpg
IMG_1701.jpg

Today is special for me since today marks the 3rd anniversary of my project.

3 years ago I was standing in a dirt street outside of Guadalajara watching as my rig was mounted onto the back of a platform to go to Mexico City and begin restoration.

3 years have passed, tons of favours asked, purchases made, lessons learnt and, above all, good friends made.

What a ride.

I have yet to drive an FJ40 for the first time in my life.

Cheers to everyone.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-08 at 16.12.05.jpeg

Happy anniversary, on Valentines Day no less. Maybe sit in her and drink champagne, while looking at trail maps, dreaming of the trails you will share together.

Waiting to hear about that test drive...

Happy anniversary, on Valentines Day no less. Maybe sit in her and drink champagne, while looking at trail maps, dreaming of the trails you will share together.

Waiting to hear about that test drive...

@MexicanNewby, great job on you truck. I also have a restored 64 FJ40 Land Cruiser, but without a hard top. Love mine!!!!! Keep up the good work!!!!

Great thread! I am actually getting into some similar restoration items on my early (Jan) 1967 FJ40.

Beautiful job!

Wow! What a great story. Such gifted friends who have shared their craftsmanship and your passion to save this truck. Well done. Love the cracks and scars to remind you of her history! Thanks for sharing. Awaiting next part of your journey

Friends, I need your help, can someone please let me know how the front ventilating windows work? As in how the open an close?

Mine don't have the little hinge thingy...

I can't figure out the system to open and close them. Is it pressure based?

Captura de pantalla 2021-02-23 a la(s) 7.25.28 p.m..png
Captura de pantalla 2021-02-23 a la(s) 7.19.59 p.m..png

I scanned your previous pics and unless you’ve changed out the window rubber from original since those pics were taken the vent window swings out from the vertical part of the window - that’s the “hinge”, it’s actual just the window pivoting in the rubber. Here’s a pic of mine on my ‘63, the window is swung open. The lever retains the the front part of the window when opened as well as locks it closed. You might need to spray some lubricant around the rubber and window to get it to release if it’s been unopened for some time. Soapy water or WD40 (but that’s messy over time) can help. Also a heat gun (carefully) on low heat can help soften the rubber.

IMG_3106.JPG

I scanned your previous pics and unless you’ve changed out the window rubber from original since those pics were taken the vent window swings out from the vertical part of the window - that’s the “hinge”, it’s actual just the window pivoting in the rubber. Here’s a pic of mine on my ‘63, the window is swung open. The lever retains the the front part of the window when opened as well as locks it closed. You might need to spray some lubricant around the rubber and window to get it to release if it’s been unopened for some time. Soapy water or WD40 (but that’s messy over time) can help. Also a heat gun (carefully) on low heat can help soften the rubber.

View attachment 2594610
Woa!

Thank you much for solving the mystery.

I had to replace the old rubber as it was severely damaged.

This helps tons. Thank you!

any pictures? Is it possible they don't move just are stuck in that position? I don't have any experience with the bug catchers but I would assume if it doesn't have the hinge it's not going to move.
So the rubber fits perfectly and there are no pivots on the top or bottom.

But, as @middlecalf pointed out, the rubber IS the hinge. Amazing.

Captura de pantalla 2021-02-23 a la(s) 10.22.45 p.m..png
Captura de pantalla 2021-02-23 a la(s) 10.23.06 p.m..png
Captura de pantalla 2021-02-23 a la(s) 10.23.40 p.m..png

View attachment 2594610

Could you by any chance get a fe wpics of how the window looks open from the inside, closed from the outside and also of how the "diagonal" rubber stays in place? How does one glue it on?

So it turns out I bought the wrong rubber kit from Cruisercorps. Didn't read the fine print. I feel like a dumbass, specially because I confidently ripped out the old rubber. So I'm proper screwed for some time now.

But @cruiseroutfit seems to have them. On my way to place my order.

Cheers.

J

Anyway, a few updates on how the headliner turned out, not a big fan of those rear wrinkles but I will treat them with hot air and try to reduce them.

IMG_2400.jpg
IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

Also, the muffler came out really well too:

IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2406.jpg

Or keep them as is. It's your truck. Make it your own!

_But keep it stock_.

(Advice like Yogi Berra's directions to "Pair up in threes".
Kinda hard to follow.) ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom