Do Toyota dealerships have a policy only allowing use of oem parts? Insurance; catalytic converter theft woes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Most dealerships still use aftermarket parts, particularly in an insurance situation

we used toyota parts unless the customer specified aftermarket parts

The Insurance companies often low-ball the payout first time around

part of the price that they offer is usually the insurance companies tell the dealership what they pay as an hourly rate and it will be less than what the dealership usually charges. the adjuster will have something that will give the time for whatever repair is being performed, they usually dont go with the time that the dealership provides

part of the price that they offer is usually the insurance companies tell the dealership what they pay as an hourly rate and it will be less than what the dealership usually charges. the adjuster will have something that will give the time for whatever repair is being performed, they usually dont go with the time that the dealership provides

Out of curiosity, are you on the body shop side or the service side?

My little brother’s wife got rear ended in her 4Runner and the Toyota dealerships body shop was going to use aftermarket replacement to repair, but we were able to get OEM. Cat replacement kind of falls somewhere in between - it’s an insurance repair but it’s also something a mechanic replaces, not a body shop.

Out of curiosity, are you on the body shop side or the service side

i was on the service side so if there was any body kind of repairs it was pretty small, headlights, tail lighgts, bumpers and that would have been the extent of the body work that we would have done. mechanical repairs unless specified by cust was going to be toyota parts for the most part.

windshields and rear glasses were sublet out but they installed what we told them to do. if it was warrantee it was a toyota glass, if a cust or insurance said to install toyota glass thats what they installed, if it was a cash job we gave the cust the option and they usually went aftermarket due to the cost difference.

However, make sure the dealership will be using TOYOTA parts. Most dealerships still use aftermarket parts, particularly in an insurance situation.

The dealers I worked at or worked with, would only use an aftermarket part if the customer requested it. This almost never occurred unless the part was discontinued or the insurance company supplied the part.
It gets down to the customer wanting us to warranty a part failure. If its not oem, the shop wouldn't get paid to replace the failed part (insurance company would).

The customer normally wants you to return the broken part and fix it for free under your warranty. As a tech, time is money. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying we preferred not to. This is not to charge more but to make sure everyone is happy if there's a part failure. As some will attest to, there are very few aftermarket parts that hold up well.

On the other hand, I cant count the number of body shops I've seen that will charge your insurance company for OEM then switch out and use crap parts. This is something I have watched happen my whole life. Yes, I know, the insurance company sometimes will make them use non OEM parts, that's not what I'm talking about.

In the case of an exhaust system, it could very easily end up in the body shop if the insurance company had a say in it. Now the chance of non OEM parts are more common.

Service writers are usually paid % of the repair order. Oem parts= higher cost= More commission, but many do sell non Oem services and fluids that allow for additional service recommendations and higher margins (coolant conditioner etc). There are aftermarket cats for California but many indys will not install them because on certain cars the monitors will not clear.

The dealers I worked at or worked with, would only use an aftermarket part if the customer requested it. This almost never occurred unless the part was discontinued or the insurance company supplied the part.
It gets down to the customer wanting us to warranty a part failure. If its not oem, the shop wouldn't get paid to replace the failed part (insurance company would).

The customer normally wants you to return the broken part and fix it for free under your warranty. As a tech, time is money. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying we preferred not to. This is not to charge more but to make sure everyone is happy if there's a part failure. As some will attest to, there are very few aftermarket parts that hold up well.

for cash work we would tell the cust that the warrantee on the aftermarket part was whatever the supplier provided, and we may or may warrantee the labor so they were aware of what they were up against but that wouldnt stop them from complaining when the part failed later

Service writers are usually paid % of the repair order. Oem parts= higher cost= More commission, but many do sell non Oem services and fluids that allow for additional service recommendations and higher margins (coolant conditioner etc). There are aftermarket cats for California but many indys will not install them because on certain cars the monitors will not clear.

I was paid on labor only when I was a Lexus service advisor. I couldn’t have cared less if someone didn’t want to buy a parts intensive repair. If I stayed in that businesS, I would have moved to a shop that paid on the entire repair order. The OEM / aftermarket parts issue... would be documented on the repair order and there would be no warranty on any of the labor or parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom