Fuel pressure regulator; replace for preventative maintenance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have no issues with my fuel pressure regulator, nor my pulsation dampener, but for preventative maintenance I'll be replacing my 33 year old injectors with new 12-hole injectors from OsideTiger (planning on this summer). While the intake and fuel rail are apart I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel pulsation damper and the fuel pressure regulator. The pulsation damper is still available, but I saw the regulator is not. This raises my question; is this a part that can go bad at all over 33 years and 320K+ miles, or should I just keep using it and run with it?

I have no issues with my fuel pressure regulator, nor my pulsation dampener, but for preventative maintenance I'll be replacing my 33 year old injectors with new 12-hole injectors from OsideTiger (planning on this summer). While the intake and fuel rail are apart I was thinking it wouldn't hurt to replace the fuel pulsation damper and the fuel pressure regulator. The pulsation damper is still available, but I saw the regulator is not. This raises my question; is this a part that can go bad at all over 33 years and 320K+ miles, or should I just keep using it and run with it?
In aircraft maintenance week all these time change items. The aircraft reaches a certain amount of hours, and items that are still working are replaced. I don't see no reason why you can't do this in fact I would highly recommend brake master cylinder at the 10-year mark. About 8 years ago? My 1984 Land Cruiser master cylinder failed in a Split Second! The one of the Pistons seals snap or something happen and I lost all of my rear brakes. I was very fortunate I was coasting slowly into an intersection that was flat. Had this happened on top of a very steep Mountain Ridge I wouldn't be here talking to you right now. Why are doing the master cylinder do the slave cylinders and the calipers at the same time. Second critical
part is your steering and

components. Those don't need to be changed but inspected and tested for integrity.

Last edited:
In aircraft maintenance week all these time change items. The aircraft reaches a certain amount of hours, and items that are still working are replaced. I don't see no reason why you can't do this in fact I would highly recommend brake master cylinder at the 10-year mark. About 8 years ago? My 1984 Land Cruiser master cylinder failed in a Split Second! The one of the Pistons seals snap or something happen and I lost all of my rear brakes. I was very fortunate I was coasting slowly into an intersection that was flat. Had this happened on top of a very steep Mountain Ridge I wouldn't be here talking to you right now. Why are doing the master cylinder do the slave cylinders and the calipers at the same time. Second critical items off the Z part of your steering and steering components. Those don't need to be changed but inspected and tested for integrity.
My years in aircraft maintenance are what have me obsessed with preventative maintenance lol.

But given that, I wonder who makes a decent regulator to use anymore. I see no Denso or Aisin parts available....

My years in aircraft maintenance are what have me obsessed with preventative maintenance lol.

But given that, I wonder who makes a decent regulator to use anymore. I see no Denso or Aisin parts available....
@red66toy was it you that found a replacement fpr from something newer that worked?

@red66toy was it you that found a replacement fpr from something newer that worked?
MR2 unit! Works like a charm. You should be able to search for that here on mud.

34 years ago I was a mechanic and a Ford Ranger came into the shop. It was gobbling large amounts of fuel. I found out the diaphragm within the fuel regulator had a crack and the vacuum I from the Small Tube I was sucking fuel into the intake. Carry a spare fuel regulator with you or find a floating diaphragm where are suction on one side of diaphragm creates an equal vacuum on the other side. That will prevent any fuel from being sucked into the intake should the diaphragm from the fuel regulator crack.

34 years ago I was a mechanic and a Ford Ranger came into the shop. It was gobbling large amounts of fuel. I found out the diaphragm within the fuel regulator had a crack and the vacuum I from the Small Tube I was sucking fuel into the intake. Carry a spare fuel regulator with you or find a floating diaphragm where are suction on one side of diaphragm creates an equal vacuum on the other side. That will prevent any fuel from being sucked into the intake should the diaphragm from the fuel regulator crack.
I had raw gas running out the tailpipe of one of my 2.9L Ford V6s when that happened 😆.

I'd rather have a the part that lasted that long, that means it's good forever. If lasted 32 years why wouldn't it last another 32 years? It's just a piece of metal with a hole in it

I'd rather have a the part that lasted that long, that means it's good forever. If lasted 32 years why wouldn't it last another 32 years? It's just a piece of metal with a hole in it
Not necessarily. There is a diaphragm that can and will eventually fail. For a ~$100 part, I think 33 years is a pretty damn good run, and cheap insurance while you've already got things apart and easily accessible.

Definitely some kind of diaphragm in the pressure regulator.
AFAAE18F-751D-4ABE-B451-10878D909F72.jpeg

Yeah, a piece of metal with a hole and a valve in it. :lol:

Yeah, a piece of metal with a hole and a valve in it. :lol:
Even if that diaphragm is metal itself (which would honestly make sense), the spring inside will gradually lose tension. Now obviously if your pump is in good shape you can test the system pressure to verify proper operation of the pressure regulator. Honestly, it doesn't appear difficult enough to get to to justify a "while things are apart" replacement, so what I'll likely do is test the system pressure and if it's all within spec, leave it in place. I will still order a new one to store until needed though.

I like seeing how long stuff lasts. Most parts last a extremely long time if used regularly.
I’ve never even heard of a 3FE FPR going bad.

I like seeing how long stuff lasts. Most parts last a extremely long time if used regularly.
I try not to gamble, but if I can monitor to foresee and change something before a failure that would leave me stuck somewhere, that would be nice. As it was my brother in law's fuel pump took a dump a couple weeks ago (03 Silverado which to his knowledge had never been run dry), which pushed me to go ahead and put my new one in before making a trip out to the middle of nowhere in Montana before this last weekend. Honestly I'm sure it would've been fine, but his failing in less than 20 years and mine being the 33 year old original with 320K miles made me decide not to risk it. And now it's a big chore finally done before getting a decent snowfall here.

I replaced mine last September because I started having stalling problems. It happened without warning. I found this part (23280-61010-A) in Japan. Not cheap but hey, it's a LandCruiser.

Last edited:

I've had one die. Lasted for >200k++ miles and a couple of decades or more but it did fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom