Oil for Norcal FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased my FZJ80 a few months ago and I am ready to change the oil. No idea what the previous owner used and am thinking about going with Rotella 15w40. The engine has 180k and lives in the Bay Area, CA.

A few friends have recommended it but wanted to post here and get some feedback.

Been running thst in mine for the last 100,000 miles.

Many many threads on this.... if ya got leaks though 20w-80 seems to be keeping the oil in for myself....

My oil fill cap calls out 5W-30. That's what I run.

If I run anything heavier, I have lots of leaking and I burn more.

What does your oil cap state and how about your owner's manual?

I run diesel 15w-40 as well. It’s fortified with lots of “good stuff” to clean your engine up and provide excellent lubrificartion ... But, I don’t use and never have used Rotela in my cruiser or my Cummins because everyone, and there brother, thinks it’s the best thing since sliced bread. Delo 400, Delvac 1300, Premium Blue, which ever is available an on sale on the shelf I’m staring at.

My oil fill cap calls out 5W-30. That's what I run.

If I run anything heavier, I have lots of leaking and I burn more.

What does your oil cap state and how about your owner's manual?
You get leaks when using a heavier viscosity motor oil??

I run the 15w40 Rotella until temps drop and I am doing cold starts with an engine below 20 degrees. At that point it gets grumpy with the thicker juice.

I have lower leaks and consumption and run their 5w40 in the winter. I did see they have a new synthetic 15w40 that I've been thinking to try.

At the end of the day I think as long as there is oil the engine probably does not care too much.

Tractor engine. Yup.

You get leaks when using a heavier viscosity motor oil??
Yes.

I DD my truck 15-20K miles per year.
It does not burn or leak oil significantly at all. In a 7000 mile oil change, I do not need to add oil.

I accidentally used 10W-30 instead of 5W-30. Immediately I was using 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles and I had oil drips on the driveway and dripping off the bottom of the truck.

I changed it back to 5W-30 and the problem immediately went away.

5w-40 rotella for me.

Yes.

I DD my truck 15-20K miles per year.
It does not burn or leak oil significantly at all. In a 7000 mile oil change, I do not need to add oil.

I accidentally used 10W-30 instead of 5W-30. Immediately I was using 1 qt of oil per 1000 miles and I had oil drips on the driveway and dripping off the bottom of the truck.

I changed it back to 5W-30 and the problem immediately went away.
Man, that’s wild. 10w-30 is a less desirable oil than 5w-30 as it’s thicker at start up. But I don’t really see how it could leak more than 5w30 unless it had a different add pack that caused leaks. But then they’d be there after the fact, at least for awhile. And even that seems unlikely. Were they the same brand, just a different weight?

Man, that’s wild. 10w-30 is a less desirable oil than 5w-30 as it’s thicker at start up. But I don’t really see how it could leak more than 5w30 unless it had a different add pack that caused leaks. But then they’d be there after the fact, at least for awhile. And even that seems unlikely. Were they the same brand, just a different weight?
Exact same brand, just different viscosity.

I was going nuts checking PCV valve, hoses, vacuum leaks, everything.

It has been doing great, then all at once I start having these problems.

It was by chance I was looking for the oil jug I knew was the right one for what I had used, to add more oil, and I discovered that both jugs were the 10W-30.

I was about 4000 miles on that oil, (I normally run 7000 miles per change) so I decided to change it. I did it to rule out that as an issue and the problem went away.

I always use Quaker State 5W-30 regular dino oil. I do not use the synthetic high mileage version.

I do Blackstone lab analysis every two oil changes to monitor metals levels and silica levels as well as coolant to make sure I head off any issues.

I saw a spike in silica and discovered a hole in my air filter, so I changed the filter and it came back down.

I run Castrol GTX 20/50 I have zero leaks and it burns no oil. I was running 5/30 and my oil pressure gauge would sit low after warm up. now with the 20/50 It sets right in the middle of the gauge. My reg does have 275k mi.

I run Castrol GTX 20/50 I have zero leaks and it burns no oil. I was running 5/30 and my oil pressure gauge would sit low after warm up. now with the 20/50 It sets right in the middle of the gauge. My reg does have 275k mi.
What’re your average temps? I delivered some 20w50 to a fleet carrier the other day, and I couldn’t even pump it off, it was so thick. It was also 10° though.

190 - 200, I do live in a warm climate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom