Lost only master key at the beach, 1999 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, "virginized" is perhaps Mauser's term and means the same as "flashed". Software reprogrammed to the original pre-installed state - ready to automatically accept and store the first three RF keys presented.

To expand a little, "flashing" can be accomplished in a few ways - all of them involve rewriting data stored on a EEPROM in the ECU.

All the information can be completely rewritten, or just the key data can be selectively edited.
Either can be done with the chip still mounted on the ECU board or with the chip removed and then replaced. Depends on skills/preferences + tools available.

After realizing I had NO master I spent a couple of weeks preparing to rewrite my own -reading and buying some tools- and then found one of Mauser's generous offers.
@cmw, really appreciate you explaining it all. It makes a huge difference to be armed with knowledge. :cheers::beer:
When the locksmith tech calls in the morning I'll make sure he's ready to do a clean flash and has two or three keys to bring with him. Thank you!

Just to follow up - since time was of the essence I located a locksmith to come on a Sunday, flash the ECU and re-master my RFID eBay key and cut/program a valet-type key.
He was not able to program the alarm for some reason. He charged me anyways for trying to.
Total charge = $380 to flash and cut/program 2 keys. I provided the master RFID (bought off eBay, works fine) and he provided the valet-style key.
He was fast - he tore into and removed the ECU unit in 3 minutes! Wish I videoed it. I did film the re-install but it wasn't as dramatic.

Will attempt the alarm programming myself. Guy told me there was "something wrong with the alarm" and I have to take it to the dealer. Hoping that is not the case.. it worked fine prior to losing the key a few days ago.

So appreciate all mudders' quick support on this issue! Plan to order more eBay keys so I have ample back-up.
That was not fun. Lol! So dumb not to program the eBay key soon as I received it. Had a hard time finding anyone to cut the metal portion of it, so I put it to the side and got distracted by life.

Glad it worked out.

I hope the "valet style key" is also programmed as a "master", otherwise you may be doing this again...

Maybe a weak door lock actuator causing the fob programming issue? You might try manually cycling the driver's door lock, instead of the lock/unlock switch, when doing the programming hokey pokey.

When my son started proving that he was especially good at losing keys, we started hanging Tiles on all of our keyrings.

You can program a blank key before it is cut.
Yes, hence my comment about being dumb not to do it soon as it arrived.

Glad it worked out.

I hope the "valet style key" is also programmed as a "master", otherwise you may be doing this again...

Maybe a weak door lock actuator causing the fob programming issue? You might try manually cycling the driver's door lock, instead of the lock/unlock switch, when doing the programming hokey pokey.

When my son started proving that he was especially good at losing keys, we started hanging Tiles on all of our keyrings.
He said it was a master duplicate but who knows - we had communication problems. Guy was attempting to program the alarm by opening and closing the driver's door, not via the lock/unlock switch.
My driver door does not close well. It hangs crooked, common for 99s I've been told after years of owners leaning on the door while getting in the vehicle? (My other 99 driver door didn't close well either.)
Therefore, he was not closing the door all the way while trying to program the alarm. You have to slam the door to get it to close all the way & latch.
I assumed that was the problem?

Thanks for the replies, I headed north a few days with poor wifi hence my late response.

Without a master you can stomp pedals until your feet fall off and still not add the new key. Its the same process for 1998-2001
Helpful response. I have a 2000 model with the 3 button key which works but has a crack in it and looking to replace. I also was given the metal key without a fob case. How can i tell which if its the master key?

Helpful response. I have a 2000 model with the 3 button key which works but has a crack in it and looking to replace. I also was given the metal key without a fob case. How can i tell which if its the master key?

When you insert the key into the ignition IF its a Master the immobilizer light will go out immediately.

When you insert the key into the ignition IF its a Master the immobilizer light will go out immediately.
I will give this a try tonight. From memory i dont think there is an immobiliser installed (unless they are factory ones also here in Aus) but the steering wheel automatically lifts up when you insert the 3 button key

I will give this a try tonight. From memory i dont think there is an immobiliser installed (unless they are factory ones also here in Aus) but the steering wheel automatically lifts up when you insert the 3 button key

Look closely all along the dash area for a red blinking light (easy to see at night), that would be your security light (if so equipped).

Then insert key into ignition (do not start).

(a) Security light continues to blink = unrecognized key.
(b) Security light goes off IMMEDIATELY = MASTER key
(c) Security light remains illuminated for 1-3 seconds before going out = VALET key

Look closely all along the dash area for a red blinking light (easy to see at night), that would be your security light (if so equipped).

Then insert key into ignition (do not start).

(a) Security light continues to blink = unrecognized key.
(b) Security light goes off IMMEDIATELY = MASTER key
(c) Security light remains illuminated for 1-3 seconds before going out = VALET key
Awesome, great info i'll try when i get home

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom