Builds "Kiboko" - Texas family hunting/fishing adventure truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The ducks are still up north since we didn't freeze over. :)

FBAAC3F0-C71C-4BC4-BF07-575C1F758D8E.jpeg

Well fortunately stock Kiboko handles muddy roads around Anahuac’s duck holes much better than mesquite strewn S Texas.

Stock tires and having to drive around a giant hole excavated to repair a pipeline led to sliding off the road and into a tractor rut, but we were able to crawl our way out without any drama.

Hunting was decent for late season TX Gulf Coast, but it’d have been better had there been fewer misses. Definitely more “Indian” than “arrow” since we dropped 2 gadwall out of a flight of 12 twenty yards DIRECTLY in front of our blind.

View attachment 2563932
If you sprung for Sitka waders, you can spring for a Packmule. :deadhorse:

If you sprung for Sitka waders, you can spring for a Packmule. :deadhorse:
@Idaho Savage - Out of curiosity, where are you in ID? My father's side of the family is from ID and have family that lives part-time outside Victor tucked up against Targhee NF. Spending couple weeks up there this Sep/Oct including a 10 day horseback elk hunt in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area. Love that part of the country, and very jealous of you getting to live out there full time.

As a fellow Texas Cruiserhead/hunter, eager to follow your build and see how things are working for you! I only get down to South Texas occasionally, but my 100 is built as a hunting rig in Central TX (primarily in Blanco and Kimble counties):
Melon hunting pigs.jpg

As a fellow Texas Cruiserhead/hunter, eager to follow your build and see how things are working for you! I only get down to South Texas occasionally, but my 100 is built as a hunting rig in Central TX (primarily in Blanco and Kimble counties):
View attachment 2583251
Hard to beat Hill Country living in Central TX. And I absolutely love the color and steelies on your UZJ100. Need a similar glamour shot of Kiboko when she's done.

@Idaho Savage - Out of curiosity, where are you in ID? My father's side of the family is from ID and have family that lives part-time outside Victor tucked up against Targhee NF. Spending couple weeks up there this Sep/Oct including a 10 day horseback elk hunt in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness Area. Love that part of the country, and very jealous of you getting to live out there full time.
I live in the Wood River Valley, south of Sun Valley. Done some hunting in your neck of the woods. Love the hill country west of Austin. Veru special place.

Victor is rad. I have a good friend over there who I grew up with. I believe she's the high school guidance counselor.

Just saw kikibo on duggy’s garage page, looks great man! Welcome!!

I think I saw it earlier today while at Duggys. It may have been behind the brown wall on the alignment rack. Mine is the white 200 on the lift. Getting Bilsteins installed.

C69C9B79-A289-45F2-BBD1-C9873425A10B.jpeg

Last edited:
Kiboko Build Phase 1: Complete

After waiting 2.5 weeks instead of 1.5 weeks due to the unappreciated and unexpected impact of Winter Strom Uri, I was finally able to pickup Kiboko from Duggy's Garage last Thursday. To recap...
  • ARB Summit w/ Warn VR EVO 12-S, Factor55 Ultrahook, ARB recovery points
  • Slee SliderSteps
  • ARB Drawers (1 roller, 1 fixed)
  • OME BP-51 w/ 2723s and SPC UCAs
  • Prinsu rack w/ 40" cutout and Rigid SRpro 40" + Rigid diffused lights on each side
  • Method 314s on KO2s
  • SwitchPro 9100
  • Odyssey ODX-AGM31M
  • ARB diff breathers (likely totally unnecessary, but super cheap insurance)
And here she is in all of her glory!

Kiboko 20210224 CROP.jpg

Kiboko Build Phase 2: starting shortly...
  • LRA 24gal fuel tank (see next post why this was a huge mistake IMO not to do FIRST!)
  • National Luna white/red hatch lights
  • Switching from SDHQ knee mount to Slee's sunglasses mount (liked factory switches as they were, and don't like knee accessibility)
  • Putting Rigid Green lights behind honeycomb of grill
  • Rhino Rack Batwing Awning (again, see next post why I kick myself for not having this already on)

Glad Kiboko was ready Thursday, b/c we left that night for the Ozarks on our first adventure w/ our new truck...

Kiboko Build Phase 1: Complete

After waiting 2.5 weeks instead of 1.5 weeks due to the unappreciated and unexpected impact of Winter Strom Uri, I was finally able to pickup Kiboko from Duggy's Garage last Thursday. To recap...
  • ARB Summit w/ Warn VR EVO 12-S, Factor55 Ultrahook, ARB recovery points
  • Slee SliderSteps
  • ARB Drawers (1 roller, 1 fixed)
  • OME BP-51 w/ 2723s and SPC UCAs
  • Prinsu rack w/ 40" cutout and Rigid SRpro 40" + Rigid diffused lights on each side
  • Method 314s on KO2s
  • SwitchPro 9100
  • Odyssey ODX-AGM31M
  • ARB diff breathers (likely totally unnecessary, but super cheap insurance)
And here she is in all of her glory!

View attachment 2601467

Kiboko Build Phase 2: starting shortly...
  • LRA 24gal fuel tank (see next post why this was a huge mistake IMO not to do FIRST!)
  • National Luna white/red hatch lights
  • Switching from SDHQ knee mount to Slee's sunglasses mount (liked factory switches as they were, and don't like knee accessibility)
  • Putting Rigid Green lights behind honeycomb of grill
  • Rhino Rack Batwing Awning (again, see next post why I kick myself for not having this already on)

Glad Kiboko was ready Thursday, b/c we left that night for the Ozarks on our first adventure w/ our new truck...
- Skip the Rhino awning. I put one on the Ranger, it broke every day for 6 months, and I replaced it with an Eezi Awn Bat 270. Wayyyyy better.
- You should add some 9-inch rounds to that bumper. They'll be way more useful than that lightbar on the roof.
- I was going to do hatch lights, then just bought one of these: Amazon product ASIN B08LV6VYYV Just stick it on the open hatch, or anywhere else. Keep it in one of the dropgate bins. Way brighter, way more versatile, no wiring.

My favorite Method wheel, it looks great. I too would move to the Slee sunglasses holder for the 9100, much easier to see. That said, it will suck to lose the sunglasses holder, I use mine religiously and I am not a fan of the clip holders on the sun visor. I agree with @WesSiler at about the EeziAwn awning, it's a much better product.

My favorite Method wheel, it looks great. I too would move to the Slee sunglasses holder for the 9100, much easier to see. That said, it will suck to lose the sunglasses holder, I use mine religiously and I am not a fan of the clip holders on the sun visor. I agree with @WesSiler at about the EeziAwn awning, it's a much better product.

Zero issues in a year of ownership, Todos Santos and back, and a full season using it as base camp for hunting up here. I can fully deploy it, with staked legs, in a minute or two. And it packs up so easily I can do it in the dark, without a headlamp.

One issue I ran into with the Rhino, in addition to the legs that broke every time I used it, was that any mud that got on the zipper would entirely prevent it from opening or closing, requiring a full scrub and some WD40. Pain in the ******* ass.

Kiboko Adventures: Ozark National Forest, Cotter, and the White River (February 2021)

After being cooped up for couple weeks culminating in the mess of Winter Storm Uri, the plan was simple: get out of Houston, camp someplace great, and get in some fly fishing. Great excuse to breathe fresh air and break in Kiboko. Itinerary:
  • Thursday start... Houston to Fifty-Six, AR within the Ozark National Forest (550mi)
  • Two nights camping at Gunner Pool Recreation Area, hiking and exploring the NF
  • Up early for full day fly fishing trip w/ my college buddy who runs a guide service in Cotter, AR chasing big Brown Trout on the White River (60mi)
  • Night in Cotter, AR at the Cotter Trout Lodge to recharge
  • Sunday end... Cotter, AR to Houston (565mi)
All packed and ready to go! @radman made clear to me this is NOT an impressively full truck (see his build thread for insanity level "full"). My biggest regret was given how much space the fly fishing gear (rods, nets, waders, boots, clothing) takes up, definitely should have found way to get that onto the roof rack. Water too. Learning.
Kiboko 20210225 packed.jpg

Unfortunately between the delay in picking up the truck (again, Winter Storm Uri) and the weather forecast turning against us, we opted to stay over night one w/ family in Shreveport, LA. Next AM, it was easy straight shot up to Ozarks, and have to tell you that the Gunner Pool campsite was perfect. Awesome hiking up and down the creek, and really well laid out spots. Also met some very nice live-in-a-national-forest-in-RV weirdos who gave us more wood and prob would have sold us non-cooking mushrooms had we inquired.

Here's Kiboko proudly perched at camp...
Kiboko 20210227 Ozark NF.jpg

And a shot of the most recognizable feature of the area...
Gunner Pool.jpg

Unfortunately, rain was not in the forecast, but from about the time we arrived, we got "heavy mist" interspersed w/ "light rain" that WOULD NOT let up. Fortunately we brought "designed to be worn in rain fly fishing gear" and had a nice fire and plenty to see and do, but the rate the wife was consuming wine and glaring at me when we got back was pretty clear indication of how much I F'd up by not purchasing the 270deg awning I wanted before this trip. Trusting a weatherman is about the most rookie mistake I could have possibly made.

Fortunately for me, we were both there in spirit of adventure so we were able to laugh it off (1.75 bottles in). Another added bonus was that the sleeping system was dead on awesome: Exped MegaMat Duo LW w/ REI's Siesta 25's (the rectangular ones) and Therm-a-Rest Air Head Down Pillows. I was honestly shocked how comfortable that setup was over the top of the folded seats and the ARB drawers.

Next AM was simple repack and hour drive to White River. We fished the fast water near the damn then moved down river to where White meets the Buffalo. This area is far more picturesque, but lower chances of the monster Browns that Cotter and the White River are known for. The fishing was spectacular... for rainbows. We caught a pair of Browns all day which was disappointing, but >30 excellent rainbows between us softened the blow.
Fishing in Cotter 20210227.jpg

Can't recommend the area enough, and staying at the quaint Cotter Trout Lodge was great cap to the trip in a warm bed enjoying the "world champion" pizza (lol!) from local fave Nima's and some awesome wine we brought along.

The drive home let me reflect on the truck itself and my experience w/ Kiboko so far:
  • Driving comfort and dynamics is awesome even w/ the added weight.
  • Prinsu adds ~0% noise w/ the sunroof cover closed which shocked me. Very happy b/c I spend a lot of time on the phone for work so this was important to me.
  • Tires have awesome grip in wet. Understand they are new, but could push the truck pretty hard on sharp turns through the Ozarks w/o any drama.
  • The 24gal stock tank w/ a trip computer that counts to 0mi range w/ 4.5gal left in tank is trifecta stupid IMO. the tank is WAY too small. For example, a new Chevy 2500 Silverado w/ the monster gas engine also gets ~14mpg highway but has a 36gal tank stock.
  • No Awning = Unforced Error
  • Sleep system way outperformed expectations, highly recommend the combo to anyone interested in go sans tent.
  • My LHS SPC UCA started squeaking 2nd day of driving under load (e.g., hard cornering, off road). I was warned this is an issue they can fix by Duc at Duggy's so hope that's solved soon.
Loving it so far, and looking forward to next trips upcoming in March (S TX) and April (Big Bend!!! w/ a buddy in a Land Rover... heresy).

- Skip the Rhino awning. I put one on the Ranger, it broke every day for 6 months, and I replaced it with an Eezi Awn Bat 270. Wayyyyy better.
- You should add some 9-inch rounds to that bumper. They'll be way more useful than that lightbar on the roof.
- I was going to do hatch lights, then just bought one of these: Amazon product ASIN B08LV6VYYV Just stick it on the open hatch, or anywhere else. Keep it in one of the dropgate bins. Way brighter, way more versatile, no wiring.
Okay, I was hoping someone would chime in on the Rhino Batwing. Bummer. Looks like a great cheap option, disappointed it's too good to be true, Appreciate the feedback.

And on the light bar, don't understand other people's concerns but not experiencing them. Not sure if it's just b/c mine is lo-pro and somewhat behind the wind faring, but I love the output (spot/flood) and have none of the glare issues some mentioned WRT the hood.

Looks like a great trip, and the updates to your rig are amazing!

Okay, I was hoping someone would chime in on the Rhino Batwing. Bummer. Looks like a great cheap option, disappointed it's too good to be true, Appreciate the feedback.

And on the light bar, don't understand other people's concerns but not experiencing them. Not sure if it's just b/c mine is lo-pro and somewhat behind the wind faring, but I love the output (spot/flood) and have none of the glare issues some mentioned WRT the hood.
Wait till you drive in any kind of dust or precip, it'll just reflect off everything and destroy your vision.

The ARB Solis lights are like $600 and will really outperform that bar. Since that's giving you flood already, run two spots. Your vision on lonely two lane will be literal night and day.

Trip looks awesome, hard to beat a fly fishing get away. We spent a lot of time on the White's and King's, Arkansas truly has some hidden treasures. Glad to hear that you like the KO2's, I too am a big fan, sadly there's not much love for BFG's on this forum. It goes both ways though, I would have recommended TC UCA's over the SPC's but they get a lot of love on here despite there being better options. Looking forward to the next stage.

I have had a large Batwing 6+ months. No issues to speak of. I admit it would be better to have one without any legs, but for the weight and cost (Amazon Warehouse) I'm certainly satisfied.

I have had to anchor the legs a couple times due to winds, but usually don't bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom