Water pump gasket failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All
This site has saved me over and over as I attempt to get my 1978 FJ40 up and running. I have searched for an answer but couldn’t locate one. I have a leak from the behind the water pump (which is worse when fan is running). I’ve removed the radiator and loosened the belt tensioner and removed the belt. I have all but ONE of the four bolts (always seems to be one, doesn’t it?) loose and now I am stuck. It is the top right bolt and can’t get anything in there to break it free as the pulley is in my way. When I try to remove the fan it keeps spinning on me and I’m worried I will break the plastic fan blade if I wedge something between. Can anyone please tell me what I should do? Do I have to take everything off or is there a trick I am missing? Any shortcuts? (Btw, to make matters worse, the one bolt I think was an incorrect size maybe and have about five washers under the head of the bolt stacked and all rusted)
Thank you in advance

Put the belt back on and tighten it up. May keep enough tension on the pulley to keep it from spinning while you loosen the pulley/fan nuts. If you have the fan nuts out and you still can’t remove the fan, just let it off with a screwdriver/prybar between the fan and pulley.

Last edited:
Hi, On your new pump I hope it’s Toyota or Aisin. Check to make sure the Philips screws on the new pump are not lose.tighten to 27 foot pounds When installing the pump to engine. Mike

the key to a successful water pump repair is a OEM pump toyota

all new mounting hardware

and black FIPG the heck out of all 6 sides of all face contact parts including fasteners

never a leak will be your next thread

1613102130715.png

1613102179645.png

Hi All
This site has saved me over and over as I attempt to get my 1978 FJ40 up and running. I have searched for an answer but couldn’t locate one. I have a leak from the behind the water pump (which is worse when fan is running). I’ve removed the radiator and loosened the belt tensioner and removed the belt. I have all but ONE of the four bolts (always seems to be one, doesn’t it?) loose and now I am stuck. It is the top right bolt and can’t get anything in there to break it free as the pulley is in my way. When I try to remove the fan it keeps spinning on me and I’m worried I will break the plastic fan blade if I wedge something between. Can anyone please tell me what I should do? Do I have to take everything off or is there a trick I am missing? Any shortcuts? (Btw, to make matters worse, the one bolt I think was an incorrect size maybe and have about five washers under the head of the bolt stacked and all rusted)
Thank you in advance

watch this

good solid tech

ignore the silly stuff ......fyi

the key to a successful water pump repair is a OEM pump toyota

all new mounting hardware

and black FIPG the heck out of all 6 sides of all face contact parts including fasteners

never a leak will be your next thread

View attachment 2582937

View attachment 2582938
Done! Thank you. Water pump removed and new Austin installed and no leaks. Followed all your advice!

Done! Thank you. Water pump removed and new Austin installed and no leaks. Followed all your advice!

can you post photos of the completed repair ?

and any during the process step by step ones too if you have ?

trying to make A water pump archive for all 2F's

live actions shots are so way kooler and informative for the first time installer or a person with a few under the belt can take something new away too is the idea ..............

thanks

A587CA80-0FFA-4479-8AC5-811933BD5876.jpeg

I definitely could have used a thread dedicated to 2F water pumps. If this helps anyone here goes....(I would have taken pics but will try with detail. What I came up with is a result of what I researched, read from other threads here or just had to use some outside box thinking.)

I didn’t have a means or tool to keep the belt from slipping even when I put the belt back on, so I tied the belt together in the middle and was able to loosen the bolts. Removed hoses. Removed radiator.

The bolts from pump to engine were rusted. I cleaned any grease and dirt from around the bolt then used BP Blaster and let sit for an hour. Ended up needing to use impact driver to break them loose
Will continue tomorrow...

7CC7FDF0-D55F-40EF-AD31-4E01D8B412ED.jpeg

EB411516-4E04-457B-923D-3B94FFFE4DF5.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry for the pics of the car parts bag display and my dog’s dog bite. Can’t figure out how to remove ‘em, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom