Builds 'Little Yellowy' 1982 BJ42 LX build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks good I pulled my 2f out to do some oil leaks and a clutch but ended up going way overboard on cleaning stuff up so ya not on your own in blowing the job out

Ha glad im not alone, what was supposed to be a week long job blew out to 3 month process

While waiting for parts to arrive and paint to dry i decided to sort out the rear bumper. It had a old school tow hitch attached to it. Realistically i'm never going to tow anything with it, towing will be done with my 80 series. The tow ball hung so low i would end up getting it snagged up everywhere so i decided to get rid of it.

It come off surprisingly easy, only one bolt was impossible to remove and had to be cut.

20201206_210629.jpg

I gave my mate who is an engineer some dimensions and he made me this recovery hook mount. I got the inspiration from the GQ/GU Nissan Patrol. It come up absolutely perfect. I cleaned the rest of the bumper up and re sprayed it and installed the mount. The blue shackle is pretty rude but ill run with it for the moment!

20201221_125539.jpg

20201221_133753.jpg

I'm supper happy how it turned out. There is nowhere on a 40 to mount a snatch strap/winch for a rearward recovery so this solves that problem. I'm a lot more likely to need this than i am to tow a trailer.

I took the battery tray and mesh grill to the powdercoater to get sandblasted. He did an awsome job with the grill but he laughed at me when i showed him the tray, its covered in this rubber stuff, so he rekons the sand will just bounce right off.
So i took it home and spent a few hours cutting all the rubber off, then wire wheeled it clean. I was planning on powdercoating it. Later that night after a few beers i discovered i can still buy a brand new OEM one. So after all that cleaning and cutting it was a complete waste of time. I'm going to prime my old one and put it into storage. The new one is awesome! The quality of OEM stuff is second to none.

20201214_190959.jpg

20201224_143202.jpg

Old and new water pumps, i found the brand new Aisin one in the States.

20201220_104554.jpg

I started getting lazy with taking before and after photos towards the end. I ended up getting the radiator, alternator and power steering pump all rebuilt. I painted them all and the radiator man did a great job and with the radiator and radiator support cradle.

Nearing completion. I also installed a brand new OEM fan and i found two brand new OEM Toyota belts in Japan. Looking at this picture im not sure i put the thermostat in the right orientation! Looking at the parts diagram i'm starting to think i've got it in upside down. The engine is running very cold according to the gauge. It never gets past 1/4 but from what i've read online that seems to be the go with a 3B. Ahhh can anyone tell from that pic?? I put a s***load of FIPG on a brand new gasket so ill end up trashing it trying to get it off.

20210130_185204.jpg

Radiator and all hoses and belts installed.

20210131_001701.jpg

The finished product!! I bought a pack of Toyota looking hoseclamps off @ToyotaMatt and i used them wherever i could. I need a few big ones for the radiator hoses.
I wish i had painted the blower box when i rebuilt it a year or so ago. I wasn't happy with the thickness of the foam i used so ill pull it out and respray it when i get around it it.

20210202_205912.jpg

The before and after.

20190723_091655.jpg

20210207_175046.jpg

In the end i couldn't be happier. I've never had a clean engine bay before and i'm super happy how it turned out. I didn't even have any left over parts or bolts which is a first.

I was pretty nervous starting it for the first time, i think i'd have a heart attack starting a re built engine!

It coughed and spluttered for a bit and didn't run good. I bled the nipple at the fuel filter and tried again. It was better but still not good. I did that a few more times then i bled the injector pump. Off she went! It ran beautifully. It turned out i didn't bleed the power steering well enough and i had to do that a few times before it would stop making funny noises. Massive relief!

The radiator man told me to put the high pressure hose in the block to blast out/flush all the rusty soup water out when i still had everything stripped. I was too scared in the end and i just squirted the s*** out of it with the hose.

It was a mistake in hindsight, i've flushed the cooling system 6 times now pulling the bottom radiator hose, and the water now is only just starting to come clear. If my thermostat is in the wrong orientation then it will make it easier to flush when i swap it.

Once i'm happy with the water colour i'll do a flush with distilled water, then i'll put the coolant in. I'll just change the coolant at every service now for the next few years and it should fully remove any contaminants/left over tap water.
I've read through old threads that show where the coolant drain on the block is but it appears to be directly behind the injector pump and impossible to get to without removing it. I'm happy enough with my plan of regularly changing the coolant.

I got around to cleaning the sedimenter the other day. It was pretty feral. I should have cleaned it as soon as I bought it. That black gunk was pretty thick.

20201221_152151.jpg

Looking at this picture im not sure i put the thermostat in the right orientation! Looking at the parts diagram i'm starting to think i've got it in upside down. The engine is running very cold according to the gauge. It never gets past 1/4 but from what i've read online that seems to be the go with a 3B.

View attachment 2582178
The thermostat is in right way, but aftermarket one. 👎 You should use only OEM ones in these engines to avoid many problems.

The thermostat is in right way, but aftermarket one. 👎 You should use only OEM ones in these engines to avoid many problems.
Nah its definitely genuine. Unless it was a fake in a genuine box.
Part no. 90916-03026
20191103_152730.jpg

Last edited:
Nah its definitely genuine. Unless it was a fake in a genuine box.
Part no. 90916-03026
Looks different than mine. This looks to be for 2H engine, not 3B.

Thanks for the help with the thermostat, it definately appears as though i have the wrong one.
The part number i need is 90916-03058 and that seems to be impossible to get genuine.
I found 90916-03059 and that was for a Euro spec BJ42 3B, but they are also non existent. There was one for sale last week but now i can't find any.
I'm pretty sure City Racer had another part number that worked with a 3B but his shop is closed for the month and i can't find the part number he had.

With all the crucial maintenance finally complete, it was time to take old Yellow on its first proper 4wd trip/shakedown. I decided on a trip i'd done before, as i knew what i'd be in for and i knew there were some pretty seriously steep tracks that i wanted to test it out on.

The plan was to drive up to Mount Hotham, do a big hike i have been planning to do for a long time, but its never quite worked out. Then 4wd back to Dargo and camp on top of Billy Goats Bluff.
Last time i attempted this was when the gearbox s*** itself and spewed oil everywhere and i had to get it towed home. I had never been so nervous before a 4wd trip. I really didn't know what to expect. I had done a lot of work to this thing and i was thinking im bound to have stuffed something up!
The last short wheel base car i had 4wd'd was my dads midwheel base 73 series and i rolled it 10 times down a hill. Was probably lucky i wasn't killed, i think the factory roll bar the 73's come with possibly saved my life.
I've been driving my 80 series the last 10 years or so and that is an absolute weapon in the bush with coils all round, i wasn't sure what to expect going back to short wheel base and heavy duty leafs all round!

20210305_185843.jpg

We headed off after work to Cobungra, this is where we camped. It's a little hidey hole that isn't well known, i camp here a lot during Winter when i go snowboarding at Mount Hotham. Car did well on the drive up, its nearly all up hill for the 2 hour drive and with the car loaded to the hilt with camping gear, the little 3B wasn't breaking any speed records.

The next day we drove to the top of Mount Hotham and hiked the Machinary Spur, past the old Red Robin Mine then back up Swindlers Spur. It was about 7 hours in total and the climb back out was super steep. I'm still stiff writting this and the hike was 3 days ago! I love the old gold mine, it ran from the 1940's and has been abandoned since the late 90's. Its the highest gold mine in Australia and i think the only surviving alpine mine. I'm going to come back in the winter when its snowed in for a look.

20210306_112618.jpg

20210306_123436.jpg

20210306_123512.jpg

20210306_142853.jpg

The view once we got back on top of the ridge line. On top of the world. Really good hike in the end.

20210306_190116.jpg

This is the second nights camp. Being Labour Day long weekend i was worried it would be a struggle to get the camp i wanted. There were lots of people about but we managed to snare this one. Stunning spot.

20210307_112633.jpg

Day 3, today was to be the first real 4wd day. We had a heap of ground to cover to get to where i wanted to finish and it has some pretty seriously steep terrain and a few river crossings.
This photo is on top of Blue Rag Range Track. Its a super famous 4wd track in the area. Being a long weekend there was lots of cars out which was to be expected. Has really good views but like most of this side of the State, it got hit really hard with the bushfires.

20210307_111928.jpg

Met this guy in his 62 on top of the helipad/survey point. One of the cleanest 60's i've ever seen in the bush. He loved seeing the 40 and he rekons it was the highlight of his day! I just found out he posted these pictures on the 60 series of Australia facebook page. Nice guy, i've never been stopped for a chat in the 80 series, i got stopped 8 times during this trip by people wanting to get photo's or have a look at it. I generally keep to myself but it felt good to see people so happy and interested in the old girl. Nearly everyone commented they had never seen an LX before, let alone one in the bush. The 40 series really made its name in the Australian outback and High Country. Theiss originally imported them for the Snowy Mountain Hydro Scheme and it still is today the biggest project ever undertaken in Australia. These cars were instrumental in opening up the high country.

20210307_120000.jpg

This picture is pretty typical of the drive from Hotham to Talbotville. The fires really ran hot through here and most of the tree's didn't survive. Its still pretty eerie, even though the fires were over a year ago. I posted pictures earlier in this thread with tree's that survived and they grow leaves all over themselves, almost like fur.
This area is area is absolutely scorched and none of the tree's have any leaves as far as the eye can see. The scale of the fires is still hard to grasp, you can drive for hours and everything still looks like this depending on where you are. Its super quiet with no real signs of life animal life. The tree's dropped their nuts and new tree's and grasses are starting to grow. It will be a hell of a long time before this area gets back to what it was.

20210307_160612.jpg

We came down Basalt Knob track and i remembered it being really steep. I wasn't wrong, it was 1st gear low range with foot on the brake for much of the decent. I was blown away how well Little Yellowy handled it. My 80 series is petrol and i hadn't driven a diesel in low range down steep terrain in a while. Under compression it was probably slower than my 80, it crawled along and was super controlled.
There was a section that got pretty off camber while crazy steep which got a bit scary. The long wheel base 80 would handle it not dramas, but in the little leaf sprung 40 it felt hell uncomfortable/rolly. My misus was white knuckle holding onto the grab handles! I really had to pay a lot more attention to the lines i took otherwise it would tip over. I knew to expect that, it currently flex's like a cement block. Once its fully set up i may try removing a leaf from all 4 packs to help it flex a bit better. It will never flex great, but i think i can make it a bit better.

This photo is looking into the Wonangatta Valley. This region escaped all bushfire and is absoloutly stunning. I think im coming down Conway Track. Really steep again but well maintained with no ruts or off camber sections.

Looks like we weren’t that far apart from each other this weekend just gone I done the Moscow villa/ limestone creek area was a perfect weekend weather wise although I didn’t come across any other old landcruisers sadly

85CF25FF-57B8-4C60-8DB2-FB12F895A871.jpeg

Good picture! I think I'm going to head to the Limestone area sometime in the next couple of months. Im going to be flat out for a bit though.
Looks like we weren’t that far apart from each other this weekend just gone I done the Moscow villa/ limestone creek area was a perfect weekend weather wise although I didn’t come across any other old landcruisers sadly

View attachment 2609733

Ok last posts of the trip.

These photo's are from the top of Billy Goats Bluff.

20210307_185738.jpg

20210307_185744.jpg

The Bluff track is a really popular track in the area. Its a super long uphill track with some pretty steep sections in it. The track follows the ridgeline all the way to the bottom of the valley.
It was the 40's first real long steep hill climb. I was amazed how well it performed. In 4 low 1st with the rear auto locker in the back it was an absolute tractor. I was deliberately choosing bad lines to see how it would perform and it barely span a wheel the whole way up. The track was pretty busy and a few times we met people coming down on super steep sections.

We camped at the top on the ridgeline. Pretty good view for the afternoon!

20210307_190230.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom