Importing for someone else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question for the importer folks,

I've imported a fair number of vehicles from Australia, Japan and Canada so far (all for just myself, kind of addicting! :)) I've been asked by a friend of mine to help his friend import a vehicle he purchased as well as import other vehicles for friends. I feel like i'm pretty familiar with the process at this point but after speaking with my stateside broker they told me I can't import a vehicle unless the vehicle is in my name or a bill of sale is in my name?

Certainly this cannot be the case as then I would have to have a bill of sale into my name and then transfer it over state side when it arrives which would mean I would eventually have to get a dealers license which I have no means to do. I understand this may tread on others 'trade secrets' but i'm just curious how that portion works.

Last edited:
Question for the importer folks,

I've imported a fair number of vehicles from Australia, Japan and Canada so far (all for just myself, kind of addicting! :)) I've been asked by a friend of mine to help his friend import a vehicle he purchased as well as import other vehicles for friends. I feel like i'm pretty familiar with the process at this point but after speaking with my stateside broker they told me I can't import a vehicle unless the vehicle is in my name or a bill of sale is in my name?

Certainly this cannot be the case as then I would have to have a bill of sale into my name and then transfer it over state side when it arrives which would mean I would eventually have to get a dealers license which I have no means to do. I understand this may tread on others 'trade secrets' but i'm just curious how that portion works.
$30 fee and an 8 hour course (~$120). Doesn't look too hard or expensive. No I'm not an importer but thought that information would be helpful.

I know people that get a dealer's license just to go to auctions for themselves or friends. I think in most states there's no course required.

You'd need to have a customs broker license to file on behalf of someone else. Or get a dealers license so you don't have to pay the tax and pass the tax on to your friend. But that sounds like it's a business.

You'd need to have a customs broker license to file on behalf of someone else. Or get a dealers license so you don't have to pay the tax and pass the tax on to your friend. But that sounds like it's a business.
Thanks for clearing that up Steve. Kind of sounds like its more trouble than its worth for me currently. :beer:

$30 fee and an 8 hour course (~$120). Doesn't look too hard or expensive. No I'm not an importer but thought that information would be helpful.

I know people that get a dealer's license just to go to auctions for themselves or friends. I think in most states there's no course required.
The course here is cheap but it cost a few grand to register a dealers license here and appropriate space etc.

Thanks for clearing that up Steve. Kind of sounds like its more trouble than its worth for me currently. :beer:

The course here is cheap but it cost a few grand to register a dealers license here and appropriate space etc.
Oregon state website said $30. Is that just the application fee?

Oregon state website said $30. Is that just the application fee?
Its $30 and then an additional $1,187. Then you need approved space, insurance ,etc. The cost isn't terrible but right now i'm not looking to become a vehicle dealer. I have a full time job that keeps me pretty busy.

I import vehicles for friends & club members regularly. All you really need to act as importer of record for someone else is a fiduciary responsibility for the imported product. Are you importing through a small business of yours or personally?

I import vehicles for friends & club members regularly. All you really need to act as importer of record for someone else is a fiduciary responsibility for the imported product. Are you importing through a small business of yours or personally?

I'm just a guy with a bunch of Landcruiser's honestly. I've imported them all personally for myself.

I'm just a guy with a bunch of Landcruiser's honestly. I've imported them all personally for myself.
then what's the point of doing it for them, rather than just helping them to do it themselves? If you were using a small business tax ID for IOR, and/or a continuous bond, it would make sense. But what is the benefit of you doing it for them vs. just sharing your knowledge while they do it?

then what's the point of doing it for them, rather than just helping them to do it themselves? If you were using a small business tax ID for IOR, and/or a continuous bond, it would make sense. But what is the benefit of you doing it for them vs. just sharing your knowledge while they do it?
Beer and/or trades for stuff

Beer and/or trades for stuff
yeah, but you can still get those things, as you are giving your knowledge & time to help them out. It can be done that you act as IOR (Importer or Record) for them, but in this case I think you'd be miles ahead just using their name/info & lending your expertise to make it happen. Then collect your rewards!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom