Custom 3” HDJ81 1HDT exhaust questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m curious if anyone on here with a 1HDT have made a custom exhaust that stays inside of the frame rails? If so, is it possible to get pictures of the routing? I have the skills and tools to do the job, just interested in seeing how others have ran the pipe. I bought plenty of mandrel bent pipe, lots of v bands, and a CT26 to 3” v band flange. My GTurbo is on its way, so I’m wanting to get everything planned out.
Thank you

Manta exhaust is inside the chassis. Very happy with mine on 93 HDJ80

I made a custom system on my 1HDT and 1HD-FT going down the inside of the frame rail. It’s tight, but not too difficult...

I’ll see if I can get some pics tomorrow. The real question is whether you try and bolt the exhaust to the engine block and gearbox THEN have a flexijoint, or have a flexijoint straight after the dump pipe.

I would recommend changing the dump pipe (I made my own on both engines, but you can get premade 3” dump pipes for like Aud$150 so depends if you want to save time...

I just built a 3" system for mine. I went between the frame rail and the running boards, and dumped it right in front of the right rear fender. It is tucked up higher than the chassis. I used a 12" long flex joint in the stock-ish location, and added a 16" long resonator where the first stock resonator used to be. Otherwise, no mufflers. The system now only has 3 bends in it, no crushed section, and is surprisingly not very loud. It sounds deep and throaty, with that awesome turbo whistle. And, cost me less than $150.

I carry my kids all the time, so I’m going to be dumping it out at the bumper.

Do you happen to have any pictures of how the run them on an 80? I seem to only be able to find 100 series pictures

I carry my kids all the time, so I’m going to be dumping it out at the bumper.
I carry my kids all the time as well. What do kids have to do with a side dump? It is angled down and back. If you are standing next to the door, it's not a problem.

I carry my kids all the time as well. What do kids have to do with a side dump? It is angled down and back. If you are standing next to the door, it's not a problem.
It’s more to do with the chance of CO coming in on the slow trails. I’m more comfortable with it having a rear dump. Let’s call it a personal preference.

I’ve have numerous cars, and my last 4Runner, that have had a dump in front of the tires, I would get exhaust in the vehicle in certain situations.

It’s more to do with the chance of CO coming in on the slow trails. I’m more comfortable with it having a rear dump. Let’s call it a personal preference.

I’ve have numerous cars, and my last 4Runner, that have had a dump in front of the tires, I would get exhaust in the vehicle in certain situations.
Gotcha. Makes total sense.

Do you happen to have any pictures of how the run them on an 80? I seem to only be able to find 100 series pictures
Sorry, I don't, sold the truck.

I’m curious if anyone on here with a 1HDT have made a custom exhaust that stays inside of the frame rails? If so, is it possible to get pictures of the routing? I have the skills and tools to do the job, just interested in seeing how others have ran the pipe. I bought plenty of mandrel bent pipe, lots of v bands, and a CT26 to 3” v band flange. My GTurbo is on its way, so I’m wanting to get everything planned out.
Thank you
Look under my media, I can’t seem to add photos on this thread

Look under my media, I can’t seem to add photos on this thread
Thank you. That’s what I was looking for. What resonator did you use?

Thank you. That’s what I was looking for. What resonator did you use?
CB74FEB4-47D9-4C05-9144-615D40CBD4D0.png
This one

I have been trying to find pictures of a 3" system routed within the frame rails. Havent been able to find any and i'm looking to replace my exhaust next week, trying to decide where the shop runs the new exhaust.

Does anyone have or can take photos of their exhaust routed within the frame?

I have been trying to find pictures of a 3" system routed within the frame rails. Havent been able to find any and i'm looking to replace my exhaust next week, trying to decide where the shop runs the new exhaust.

If you are on Instagram, look at mine.
I’m JDMGNGR.

6016D7EE-8D8C-4638-A768-FB2B52E86767.png

I see that you looked at my IG, Are those pictures acceptable? I can try to get some better ones later tonight if there’s anything specific you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom