1990 4WD Diesel corolla fuel cut off switch help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there friends. In addition to my HDJ81 LC, I also own a 1990 Corolla with full time 4wd and the 2C diesel engine. I just made a mistake last night, as I was trying to tighten a leaking fitting on the injector pump. It is right above the fuel cut off switch, and I was tightening it while the engine was running, and the wrench pinched through the rubber boot that protects the cut off switch, and made contact with the stud in the switch, which shut off the engine. Well, I think it blew a fuse, and now the car won't start. I was able to make a jumper wire between battery positive and the stud on the switch, and the car will start. But I can't seem to find a wiring diagram anywhere that shows where the fuse might be that supplies power to this switch. I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any help.

What is the chassis code for your Corolla? Is it a CE100 or something? If you can let me know, I'll see if I can find a manual for it with schematics.

Looking at same year 70 series schematics, the fuel cut-off solenoid is controlled by the pre-heat timer. This appears to get power from the 'Starter' 7.5A fuse, and possible the 'Engine' 15A fuse. Toyota usually keeps things pretty similar between same year same technology vehicles, so you may have the same fuses in your car.

What is the chassis code for your Corolla? Is it a CE100 or something? If you can let me know, I'll see if I can find a manual for it with schematics.

Looking at same year 70 series schematics, the fuel cut-off solenoid is controlled by the pre-heat timer. This appears to get power from the 'Starter' 7.5A fuse, and possible the 'Engine' 15A fuse. Toyota usually keeps things pretty similar between same year same technology vehicles, so you may have the same fuses in your car.
Thank you. I will check those fuses. The car is a CE95. It's a fun little rig. I fabbed up my own lift kit for it with adjustable coilovers in front. Lifted it about 3", and then put 3" taller tires on it. It's not very fast, but it doesn't get stuck in the mud/snow very easily. But yeah, finding schematics and parts for it have been challenging. Thank you for the help.

Thank you. I will check those fuses. The car is a CE95. It's a fun little rig. I fabbed up my own lift kit for it with adjustable coilovers in front. Lifted it about 3", and then put 3" taller tires on it. It's not very fast, but it doesn't get stuck in the mud/snow very easily. But yeah, finding schematics and parts for it have been challenging. Thank you for the help.

Cool, I'll look around for manuals for you. If you got some pictures, post 'em up. I like those old all-trac corollas. Used to have an AE95 in the family. Also an AL25.

You can find part numbers here: 1989 - 1991 Toyota COROLLA CE95 OEM Parts | Japan sales region, , 903498 - https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/corolla-38234/ce95-54045/ce95-aemns-903498

You can buy parts from Partsouq, Amayama, Megazip, etc. You probably know all that.

Cool, I'll look around for manuals for you. If you got some pictures, post 'em up. I like those old all-trac corollas. Used to have an AE95 in the family. Also an AL25.

You can find part numbers here: 1989 - 1991 Toyota COROLLA CE95 OEM Parts | Japan sales region, , 903498 - https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/corolla-38234/ce95-54045/ce95-aemns-903498

You can buy parts from Partsouq, Amayama, Megazip, etc. You probably know all that.

IMG_20201204_221607_328.jpg

IMG_20200823_134033.jpg

IMG_20200629_193626.jpg

IMG_20200702_194107.jpg

That car is awesome! I like it. Thanks for the pictures. Your 80 is pretty sick too!

I found the manual for the 2C here: 1C, 2C, 2C-T Toyota Diesel Engine - Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wkRH9TMi0O7L_YiCeadm2u6eLLUbsHgu

I found a manual for the gas Alltrac if you don't already have it: .rar manual on google drive

Can't find the manual for the full diesel corolla though; sorry.
Thank you for the links! I checked the fuses for the IGN and ENGINE, actually checked all the fuses I could find, and everything looks good, got continuity through all of them. Back to the drawing board. Wondering if maybe a wire burned up between the shut off solenoid and the ignition switch. I still need to check the fusable links. I also need to check continuity between the solenoid and ignition switch. Thanks for the help.

Okay, so it turns out that I'm kinda dumb. I used a flashlight to check my fuses, instead of a multimeter. Last weekend, I actually pulled all my fuses, and found the ignition fuse was blown. I replaced it, and wouldn't you know it, the car started right up, and shut off with the key.

However, now I have another problem. The glow plugs timer relay doesn't seem to be working. When I turn the key on, the glow plug light lights up for half a second, and turns off. I can hear the glow plug relay clicking on, and then off. But it doesn't stay on long enough to heat up the glow plugs. It's been pretty cold lately, so has been kinda hard to start the car. I have to cycle the key on and off 20-30 times, to get enough heat in the flow plugs to actually start. Looking through my manual, there seems to be a fuse for the timer relay, but I can't seem to find it. And, I can't seem to find the timer relay itself. Any ideas of where to look???

Thanks for all the help friends. I'm learning a lot about this rare car.

Check for a fusible link(special wire) from the battery. This link is designed to act like a fuse.
Will be on the positive post and may even hook up to a connection marked "Glow".
Worst case for cold days until you get it fixed grab a wire and manually glow or install a Wilson switch.
Basically power from + to the glow plug busbar or top of a glow plug.
Manual glow means holding the wire in your hand in case of screw up.

Okay, so it turns out that I'm kinda dumb. I used a flashlight to check my fuses, instead of a multimeter. Last weekend, I actually pulled all my fuses, and found the ignition fuse was blown. I replaced it, and wouldn't you know it, the car started right up, and shut off with the key.

However, now I have another problem. The glow plugs timer relay doesn't seem to be working. When I turn the key on, the glow plug light lights up for half a second, and turns off. I can hear the glow plug relay clicking on, and then off. But it doesn't stay on long enough to heat up the glow plugs. It's been pretty cold lately, so has been kinda hard to start the car. I have to cycle the key on and off 20-30 times, to get enough heat in the flow plugs to actually start. Looking through my manual, there seems to be a fuse for the timer relay, but I can't seem to find it. And, I can't seem to find the timer relay itself. Any ideas of where to look???

Thanks for all the help friends. I'm learning a lot about this rare car.

In terms of timing, pay no attention to the glow lamp, it's useless for all models I think. Just go by ear listening for the relay click (or watch the voltage gauge, as you can see the draw). In cold weather it should be around 7-8 seconds for the main glow relay, and another minute or so for the after glow relay (if yours has that).

A healthy engine should start well with a single glow of a working factory system. But turning the key off, waiting a second, and doing another glow period should produce a perfect start for a less than perfect engine even in cold temps. If it takes more than this, there is something wrong.

Your motor might be a good candidate for a "wilson switch" aftermarket modification.

Thanks for the help. I am thinking I might go the Wilson switch route. Tell me if I'm wrong here, but from what I understand, I am simply using a momentary switch to energize the glow plug relay for as long as the switch is closed. Right? I need to look at a wiring diagram, but do I send it a ground signal, or a 12v signal?

Thanks for the help. I am thinking I might go the Wilson switch route. Tell me if I'm wrong here, but from what I understand, I am simply using a momentary switch to energize the glow plug relay for as long as the switch is closed. Right? I need to look at a wiring diagram, but do I send it a ground signal, or a 12v signal?

Yes, you have the right idea. Assuming your main glow relay is ok, and it's your glow controller that is the issue, you can simply cut your controller out of the loop and use a momentary switch instead.

Not sure about your corolla, but here is how it is for the LJ78. Looks like they're switching 12V to the Main glow relay to turn it on. Sub Glow Relay (after glow) just runs through a resistor to run lower power to the glow plugs afterwards.

LJ78_2LTE_1.jpg

Yes, you have the right idea. Assuming your main glow relay is ok, and it's your glow controller that is the issue, you can simply cut your controller out of the loop and use a momentary switch instead.

Not sure about your corolla, but here is how it is for the LJ78. Looks like they're switching 12V to the Main glow relay to turn it on. Sub Glow Relay (after glow) just runs through a resistor to run lower power to the glow plugs afterwards.

View attachment 2600239
Thank you! You rock. I'm gonna do it.

Thank you! You rock. I'm gonna do it.

Just be sure not to press that switch too long! Can cause the plugs to overheat, ends distort, and then break when you go to change them out. I'd say 10-15 seconds max.

Just be sure not to press that switch too long! Can cause the plugs to overheat, ends distort, and then break when you go to change them out. I'd say 10-15 seconds max.
Roger that. Thanks for the heads up. I need to verify what the voltage of the glow plugs are, just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom