another shop project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ford had a bit of an oil leak, Upper pan gasket and rear main. also found a radiator leak and repalced the transmission pan gasket and all the coolant hoses while i was there. hope be good for another 10 years or so.

IMG_20210103_191749.jpg

IMG_20210108_195541.jpg

IMG_20210108_195657.jpg

IMG_20210108_200046.jpg

IMG_20210108_200200.jpg

now Garrett has two vehicles in the garage he is working on, and one waiting in the yard. and i got one coming next week. Leason: should have built bigger.

Last edited:
Where is the jealousy emoji?

So what did you think of the power bill?
As expected? Surprised?
Roughly 175 a month but it has been colder than normal this year it seems. Or consistently colder I thought. And you only run it 4-5 months a year?

Simply curious.

i think it was about where i expected it to be. the comfort is uniform and priceless to be truthful you don't really think about it being cold outside. Glad Jon talked me onto it.

I’m jealous too! At first when I read the bill amount I was thinking wow, that’s high...but considering the size of the space and that you ran it daily that’s not too bad. Like you said, it doesn’t ‘have’ to be run daily just need to plan ahead. It has also been colder this winter it seems or at least less warm days.

i figured that would be worst case to run it straight for a month.

I have plans drawn for a new shop building, 48'X60' is the biggest I can fit and keep a drive that semi trucks can get in and out. All I need do is finish the total remodel on a rental house we purchased, finish cleaning up and stoning the drive on our mountain investment property, sell that to finance the new shop. With any luck the price of lumber will have come down a bit by then. If I can pull all that off by the end of the year I'll be happy for sure. Meanwhile I need to get my butt in gear and go out to thee shop and do some work on the project pulling truck Heather purchased. I remember when I used to rest on Sundays :)

Ford had a bit of an oil leak, Upper pan gasket and rear main. also found a radiator leak and repalced the transmission pan gasket and all the coolant hoses while i was there. hope be good for another 10 years or so.

View attachment 2570186

View attachment 2570187

View attachment 2570188

View attachment 2570191

View attachment 2570192

now Garrett has two vehicles in the garage he is working on, and one waiting in the yard. and i got one coming next week. Leason: should have built bigger.
This is highly impressive. Wondering how I can get my 80 in line for brake line leak and OME lift install.

Gurt Automotive has been steaming away with some work lol. Did a complete timing belt and water pump on a 97' 4runner due to a leaky water pump gasket, was one of toyota's old full metal gasket that had rusted out which prompted it to be a T/W job, THANKS OBAMA lol (iykyk). Got that knocked out with the full toyota/aisan kit on ebay.

Next on the list was a HG job on a 80, Compression check was good at a solid 190 psi till cylinder 6 which was at 140. So diving into it i knew there was going to be some kind of issues. Pulled the valve cover off to find this
IMG_0036.jpg

Seems like the motor has seen quiet some heat at some time or ran with low oil, Lots of carbon build up around the disturber and heat marks all along the cam and the lobes. Continued further into and got the head pulled off and found my issue and what further explained heat issues and low oil.

IMG_0039.jpg

Heat spots and ring marks on the top of the cylinder walls from detonation? Never seen something like this before. Barely any groove that i can feel and only at the top of the cylinder walls, but lower than that it still has perfect cross hatching. Coolant/Oil passes were pretty clogged up.

Gonna pull it the rest of the way and take it down to the machine shop for them to deal with it and get it right.

Got some more progress for the supercharger for the 80. Got it all stripped and the motor out.

IMG_0058.jpg

Removed the core support and inner fenders. did a compression check, As my luck would have it, Cylinders all had 190pso except for 4-5 at 160. Suspecting a HG but ill get it stripped down at some point to further investigate the issue, Me and Pops went ahead and and ripped the motor out all in one since we had easy access to do so. Now she's about off to end her life at the scrap yard.
IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

anyone need an 80 frame, no rust.

what body?

Heat spots and ring marks on the top of the cylinder walls from detonation? Never seen something like this before. Barely any groove that i can feel and only at the top of the cylinder walls, but lower than that it still has perfect cross hatching. Coolant/Oil passes were pretty clogged up.
What did the tops of cylinder 5 and 6 look like? Any typical signs of detonation?

Underneath my valve cover looks about the same as this unfortunately. It's run low on oil too :(...and gotten a little hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom