Aftermarket bumper install ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.google.it
Has anyone ever been told by a vendor to “adjust the body” to get it to line up with the steel bumper?

I was told the following when asking how to adjust the bumper to line up better and not rub on the wheel well

“Our bumper is built centered on the frame so if your body is slightly off centered it can cause this sometimes. If you slightly loosen the core support up front you would be surprised how easy the body can move once you loosen a couple bolts. If you do loosen those bolts then you can get the front end to slightly move over to center it up with your bumper. If you need to they also said if you loosen the one body mount behind the front wheel as well it will be even easier to center it up. Afterwards you simply make sure it looks centered up and then tighten all your supports back up and you should be all set! “

I have just never heard of this before.

Lol WUT

What brand is this?

No. That’s ridiculous.

thank you. I thought I was going crazy bc I have never heard that before. It’s rubbing really bad on the drivers side. It’s disappointing to wait for 2 months for a bumper and then have issues and almost no help.

Anyone else have any thoughts? I’m kind of lost here

E49CA10E-2F6C-40FC-BC4A-B4B1A94F5AD3.jpeg

What brand of bumper is telling you this?

Most aftermarket bumpers have adjustment-ability built into the mounts. When I installed the ARB, I used a piece of hard packing foam between the bumper and fender to maintain the measure gap as I tightened everything up.

@bamabrock thanks for the response. I’m trying not to call out the vendor just yet. I’ll tell you it’s NOT dissent or slee

NEVER heard that with any truck... let alone a Land Cruiser.

Come to think of it... the guy who installed the Dissent front bumper at ACC did say something... oh yeah: "This bumper went on like I just took it off. I've installed factory parts that don't fit this well" ;)

Last edited:
Kyle, this is not unheard of... At least, I've seen this before.

If you wheel your truck hard, the frame flexes. This can create issues when installing a bumper. (or the truck was in an accident and the frame was affected)

Try jacking it up a bit from the "lower side" to see if the frame aligns better. Vs having all tires on the ground.

Kyle, this is not unheard of... At least, I've seen this before.

If you wheel your truck hard, the frame flexes. This can create issues when installing a bumper. (or the truck was in an accident and the frame was affected)

Try jacking it up a bit from the "lower side" to see if the frame aligns better. Vs having all tires on the ground.
the frame does flex but you adjust the bumper to body gap to compensate for the flex. ARB recommends 15mm which is roughly 0.59". Moving the body makes zero sense.

IMG_20210208_150428328.jpg

I'll echo what Bama said. My ARB is designed with the frame flex taken into account, and you are supposed to leave that 15mm margin to avoid hitting the fender. I would advise making this aware to the manufactures of that steel bumper

FB50DF6C-5CCD-42F2-B130-7B0EAC983A75.jpeg
30C7C548-09DD-4052-BB02-C366AF66C373.jpeg
B01B2B4E-5497-4ED7-82CA-A9F17C9CF27B.jpeg
09DD93CC-CED2-4D7D-B469-42EB91E79341.jpeg

My TJM could be adjusted to allow for proper body gap. Mines about 3/8".

I moved the bumper then tightened the bolts per the instructions

Unfortunately it is pretty obvious from the pics who made this bumper.

I am unfamiliar with the mounting system on this one, is it a 2 piece design? Does it have mounting bracket separate from the face/skin?

It mounts to the frame where you remove the factory tow points via a bracket that connects to the lower portion of the bumper. It also has 3 bolts per side that go on the frame horns hat get cut off for other bumpers (1 bolt that runs up and down and 2 that mount Parellel to the ground.)

I have tried adjusting it but no luck.

Unfortunately it is pretty obvious from the pics who made this bumper.

I am unfamiliar with the mounting system on this one, is it a 2 piece design? Does it have mounting bracket separate from the face/skin?

What bumper is it? Been here 10+ years and I don’t recall it.
When we put the Sahara bar on my 100 it had a fair amount of adjustment like Brock said. That was a part you needed 2 people for. One to hold in right spot and other to tighten bolts once lined up.

Can you take some measurements to ensure symmetricity of the bumper?

It would not take much error over two or three components to stack up to what you show in the pics. Since they're pretty new, perhaps they've still got some tooling errors.

Looks like Victory 4x4...Relatively new to the Cruiser world...
I think they come from the land of Jeeps. Perhaps in the Jeep world it's common to have to correct mis-aligned bodies. :)

On a nearly 6 figure flagship SUV from Toyota/Lexus, the body alignment seems to be pretty damn good - even after 200k miles and some wheeling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom