First 60s series. H4 button, How to engage 4 lo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive searched but never got a clear answer.

I have a 87 HJ61 5spd Euro Spec.

My understanding of how this system works:

2WD- hubs unlocked, transfer case lever in H2.

4WD HI - Hubs locked, press H4 button. Transfer case lever is in H2 still, but light comes on and since the hubs are locked now its in 4WD.

4WD 4LO - Hubs locked, H4 button engaged, (light is on), move transfer case down to H4, and this is 4 lo?

Im confused because the t-case lever says H2 at the top, then directly down is H4, one movement to the right is N, then one more is 4LO, but the T-case lever DOES NOT move to the right.

Does the stick just not move to the right? Is H4 actually 4LO once the button is on and lever is moved downward?

I played with it and it sure doesnt feel like a LO/crawler gear.

All help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Knob looks like this

Last edited:
Try moving it one notch down then another notch down...is it in 4 Lo then?
Could be someone just put a manual transfer case knob on the shifter.
Does your transfer case have a big vacuum module near the front driveshaft? Send some pics of the shifter underneath.

Does your transfer case have a big vacuum module near the front driveshaft? Send some pics of the shifter underneath.
View attachment 2579392
I dont know. The 4WD light turns on is all I know.

Your attachments may need to be set so others can see them

1612801433069.png

In the FJ60 the transfer case lever looks like this

1612801782459.png

Hubs have to be locked and then moving the lever towards the rear of the car engages 4 Hi and moving lever to the right goes to 4 low.

the FJ62's still need the hubs locked manually but I believe the button on the dash negates the need to move the lever for 4 high because its vacuum operated . you move the lever to get 4 lo.

Here you go:

1612801942853.png

1612801975419.png

if you currently have this knob:

1612802094274.png

it sounds like you should have this knob

1612802121050.png

In the FJ60 the transfer case lever looks like this

View attachment 2579402

Hubs have to be locked and then moving the lever towards the rear of the car engages 4 Hi and moving lever to the right goes to 4 low.

the FJ62's still need the hubs locked manually but I believe the button on the dash negates the need to move the lever for 4 high because its vacuum operated . you move the lever to get 4 lo.
My t case will not move to the right. Its a 5 spd. I forgot to mention that.

My 60 was like that. I had to walk around to the passenger side and pull like hell to get in low. I figured it was never used. Now it's pretty smooth.

@ClassicYotas Your last photo was of the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. Take a photo of where the front drive shaft attaches to the transfer case, not the front axle.
Should be where the 4WD shift lever attaches underneath, photograph that.

If you have the big vacuum module there, then you have the wrong knob.
If you have the manual shift linkage there, then you have the correct knob, and a stuck (maybe) shifter.

Ok. If you move the lever back from 4hi do you hit neutral? Or does it just go into 4 low? If you hit neutral then you have the wrong knob. If do don’t hit neutral then it sounds like it’s the correct knob and the lever is t moving correctly. Don’t know why you would have a button too if that’s the case.

Ok. If you move the lever back from 4hi do you hit neutral? Or does it just go into 4 low? If you hit neutral then you have the wrong knob. If do don’t hit neutral then it sounds like it’s the correct knob and the lever is t moving correctly. Don’t know why you would have a button too if that’s the case.
It goes to neutral.

I locked the hubs and engaged the H4 button and felt no difference.
I move it all the way down (2 knotches down from 4HI) and then its in 4WD. But it def does not feel like a low gear.

OK. So it seems like you have the wrong knob on your high/N/low shifter.

Some more questions for clarification:

you show a differential in one of your pictures, and it looks like it has a cable locking mechansim. When you say you locked the hubs, are you locking the wheel hubs or locking the differential(s)? The wheel hubs are locked by turning the locking mechanism at the center of each front wheel.

In your post above, how are you telling that you are in 4wd or not? With the truck parked and the wheel hubs unlocked, you should be able to rotate the front drive shaft by hand when you are in 2wd. If now lock both wheel hubs, you should NOT be able to turn the front drive shaft. This tell you your wheel hubs are working. Next, unlock the wheel hubs and push the 4wd button (the engine should be running I suppose for the vacuum mechanism to work) to put it into 4wd, then the front drive shaft should lock up when you try to rotate it. If you can't get it into 4wd, then you need to inspect the vacuum shift mechanism.

FJ62 has a vacuum shift transfer case so there are thread with more detail about troubleshooting. Try searching. Vacuum lines could be switched at the valves mounted on the fire wall or the vacuum diaphragm could be broken. Or there could be an electrical failure.

You pretty much have to drive the truck to see if you are getting into low. You should be able to tell because you will be going about half the speed for a given gear/engine rpm as with high. If you can the transfer case into Neutral, then it should go into low too, If it won't come out of neutral, then inspect the linkage. If it goes into gear on both sides of neutral, then pretty much one must be high and the other low.

I dont know how to change that.

Here are the photos in link format:

In the T-Case pic there is no 4WD wacuum actuator, it is on the other side of gearbox. And thank you for this picture. Now I know where that bracket for speedo cable should be.
In the picture below is the mechanism for differential lock

Shifter underneath.

This is clutch slave cylinder as someone mentioned earlier.

Ive searched but never got a clear answer.

I have a 87 HJ61 5spd Euro Spec.

My understanding of how this system works:

2WD- hubs unlocked, transfer case lever in H2.

4WD HI - Hubs locked, press H4 button. Transfer case lever is in H2 still, but light comes on and since the hubs are locked now its in 4WD.

4WD 4LO - Hubs locked, H4 button engaged, (light is on), move transfer case down to H4, and this is 4 lo?

Im confused because the t-case lever says H2 at the top, then directly down is H4, one movement to the right is N, then one more is 4LO, but the T-case lever DOES NOT move to the right.

Does the stick just not move to the right? Is H4 actually 4LO once the button is on and lever is moved downward?

I played with it and it sure doesnt feel like a LO/crawler gear.

All help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

Knob looks like this

I happen to have a user manual from -87 So here is the instructions:

H2: High speed 2WD
H4: High speed 4WD, Free Wheel Hubs has to be in "locked" position
N: Neutral
L4: Low speed 4WD, FWH has to be in "locked" position if you want to engage 4WD, you can use it also as 2WD low with FWH in "free" position
H4 button: You can engage 4WD while driving in H2-mode if your FWH is in "locked" position.

And this is the knob you should have according to picture in user manual.

And in this picture you can see the 4WD vacuum actuator (the one with the two hoses attached to)
IMG_20190224_155520.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom