Eaton E-Locker Install - shop says dash diff indicator lights not possible??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All,
1995 FZJ with 180k, had an axle seal that was leaking badly into knuckles. Pinon also shot. Took the truck to a highly regarded shop that specializes in axel rebuilds. Figured this was a good time to re-gear (4.88s). Speaking with the shop, they confirmed that the added labor to install e-lockers was margin while they already the diffs apart. OK, this was on the long-term wish list...

Shop said they would install an Eaton toggle on the dash. I insisted on the OEM rotary dial. They looked into it and said no problem, would require an additional harness.

Picked up the truck yesterday. All went well. However on engaging the diffs, the dash indicator lights for front and rear diff locks do not come on. Rep called the shop foreman, who explain that since my truck did not come with factory front and rear lockers, it did not have the dash indicator lights. I said that this did not sound right, but I would look into it.

Can anyone comment on this, especially regarding Eaton e-locker installation? Many thanks!

The BULBS for the dash lighted indicators are indeed NOT installed BUT....you only need to pull the dash cluster, add the bulbs and holders and then wire appropriately for them to come on when the OEM switch and lockers are activated.

Bottom line: YES it's possible to use the OEM switch, have dash lighted indicators (just like the factory set up).

OEM Bulbs x 2: 90981-11018
OEM Bulb Sockets x 2: 83101-14040

Last edited:
IIRC the TRD (factory) elocker has a limit switch that sends a signal back to the ECU which then grounds the connection to the dash lights to turn them on. I don't know anything about the Eaton; does it have a locked limit switch that could serve this purpose?

I didn't install them but my rig definitely has the oem switch and dash lights that run and work with my ARB's so I know it can be done.

The BULBS for the dash lighted indicators are indeed NOT installed BUT....you only need to pull the dash cluster, add the bulbs and holders and then wire appropriately for them to come on when the OEM switch and lockers are activated.

Bottom line: YES it's possible to use the OEM switch, have dash lighted indicators (just like the factory set up).

OEM Bulbs x 2: 90981-11018
OEM Bulb Sockets x 2: 83101-14040
Many thanks for the quick reply and part numbers. You anticipated my next question!

IIRC the TRD (factory) elocker has a limit switch that sends a signal back to the ECU which then grounds the connection to the dash lights to turn them on. I don't know anything about the Eaton; does it have a locked limit switch that could serve this purpose?
Good question, I plan to contact Eaton on Monday with this question. Thanks!

Yeah the factory lockers engage mechanical switches when actuated. For the new lockers to trigger the light, something entirely different needs to be done.

Yeah the factory lockers engage mechanical switches when actuated. For the new lockers to trigger the light, something entirely different needs to be done.

You just add relays.

Good question, I plan to contact Eaton on Monday with this question. Thanks!
It does not. Externally, the only thing that has changed on your diff is a new hole with a wiring pigtail sticking out. The relay thread linked above seems to be the way to go. I'll be doing it as soon as I get around to it. Not sure how mechanically / electrically inclined you are, but if you find yourself asking why that solution is overcomplicated with an extra relay, it's because the Toyota harness GROUNDS the light to complete the circuit, switching ground, not positive.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom