Body Tilt on a 87 FJ60 - Uneven ride height (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the forums on this one and couldn't find any threads. This leads me to believe this is not a common issue and related to something that happened to the vehicle itself prior to my ownership.
Here is the issue: Left rear side is lower by a .75 inches than the right & Right front is higher than left front by about .5 inches.
- It was like this with stock suspension
- The problem remains after installing new springs, bushings and shocks (OME 2inch lift) there is a shim on the front axel both sides to correct driveshaft angle. (running new 33 inch BGF KM3)
- I have inspected all body mounts and they look intact, although they are a bit cracked
- I have looked for damage to the frame but do not see anything that indicates a bad accident (title is clean too).
- Front bumper was pushed back on both left and right side. Both left and right side front fenders show signs of body work and indicating a minor fender bender (if it was bad, the fenders would have been replaced instead).

Question: Does anyone have any ideas?
I think if I add a flat shim to the front right side of the axel, it will lower the front right and bring up the left rear??

Everything is stock except OME lift and 33 BFGs.
Thanks for you input!

You gotta work on that google-fu. This is actually a well known problem. Cruiser Outfitters has an article in their FAQ section here

I had the same issue, with new OME suspension. It has gotten better now after the 1st year with it and making some adjustments, but it definitely has a lean to it. You can ride around with a few bags of concrete in it on the opposite side for a while and try to stretch the suspension as much as you can...ie find a loading dock ramp or steep hill.... If your OME is new it takes 3-4 months and 500+ miles to break in. Mine looks worst than it actually is because PO drug the rear bumper on the ground or over rocks. The tail pipe was smashed almost flat when I got her. That corner of the bumper is up so it makes it look more sagged. If you measure at the wheel wells it is very close to the same now without any added weight in the back.
Cruiser Outfitters are experts with OME and I'm sure can recommend a fix if it doesn't improve.

Question: Does anyone have any ideas?
I think if I add a flat shim to the front right side of the axel, it will lower the front right and bring up the left rear??

What side are you considering left and what side are you considering right? If looking at front of truck? As mentioned Its a common thing for cruisers to lean even from the factory. So much so that even Toyota I believe had an OEM 'leveling kit' you could get at one point that added a shim/spacer at I believe the passenger rear to offset the lean some. OME used to provide an A and B type spring (A being arched a bit more than B) to help counteract the lean on their lift hardware. From Cruiser Outfitters site:

In some Old Man Emu applications, the manufacture has developed "sided" rear leaf springs in an attempt to eliminate the instance of lean in the finished product. The "A" spring is generally slightly taller (1/2" or less) than the "B" sided spring. We make every attempt to get the right springs order from day one. We select A/A, A/B or B/B springs depending on recommendation from Old Man Emu's engineers and tech department as well as our experiences with past installation.

CO FAQ page here:

Been an issue enough that even OME developed springs specifically to counteract it. I thought at one point I had read this only applies to coils these days but maybe they only include the A/B in whole coil kits. Not sure. OME has add a leaf kits you can add to bring the spring up some to help counteract the lean. CO has them. You would just have to mix and match to level it out side to side/front to back. I have an OME setup as well and my truck leans side to side.

I searched the forums on this one and couldn't find any threads.

No disrespect here but Google brings up 5.

Here is a relatively recent one:

HTH

Thanks all....yea gotta work on my google skills, wasn't sure what to call it but now I realize that 'lean' is a key word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom