1987 toyota pick up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I mentioned early, I have been horrible with the forums lately.
I will try and this up to date.
Work has been busy, hunting season, the surf is pumping etc...
Also, we got a camper for the full size, and its really comfortable with the wife and the dogs.

I have been slowly working on the 87 pickup, really didn't need much. For smaller trips and the daily driving, I would rather drive the 87 around than my F250.

I stripped the interior and sound deadened the whole truck.
F46EAAC2-BF85-4A23-A82C-87DDFA31C93F_1_105_c.jpeg

I added a modern radio and put speakers in the door. I outsourced that work. I hate electrical. It's one of the few things i will not try and tackle myself.

Then I installed a thicker felt liner and carpet. I traded my bench for a reupholstered one. This has caused a problem. I didn't realize the 2wd drive and 4wd bench seats were different. This one is a 2wd seat the seating position is extremely low. I am now on the hunt for a 4wd drive bench.

2F9F3B75-BC6D-4179-8221-3BA099EFD08B_1_105_c.jpeg

Everything was running well.
B4516854-C4CF-4859-AE8B-286285A4AC41_1_105_c.jpeg

Then the truck started running really rough, so I started to get into the engine. I redid the spark plugs, vacuum lines, a few other items, while I was in there.
F5EFA849-FA4D-47A1-B3CA-CF4EFC5A74B9_1_105_c.jpeg

We are all good once again.
FB0CBDA4-EF79-4756-AF14-5ED3C19CEFB6_1_105_c.jpeg

I am thinking of redoing the suspension.
I am thinking of going all OME, ARB Bumper and a winch. Any thoughts?

OME and ARB are tried and true in these...and affordable.

My goal is to increase ride quality and handling on/off-road. The truck will not be a rock crawler or anything like that. It gets driven on HWY, and paved roads a few times a week. Then it will use it for camping and expo trips. One of the reasons I will be changing the suspension is to accommodate the weight of a bumper and winch. I might even keep the 31" tires. I love the pizza cutters on these trucks. I am not really looking to go with 33 or 35's. I am keeping the engine stock. It's already a slug.

I could not get Ironman here in B.C. (Canada). But what I have seen of theirs has been good. Just less distribution than ARB. I have an Ironman awning and it has been very solid.

I have been reading a few AC threads on here. It seems the way to go, is to use the R-112 bracket and then the R134.
Is the R112 that problematic?

I am ordering a full OME suspension kit, Bumper and winch.
I am thinking the 31" tires will still look ok with the lift.
I am considering going to 4.88 gears.
My truck has 4.30 gears. I think with the added weight the 4.88 will help.
Also, I received my metal guides from LC Engineering, I will put those in sometime in the next few months.

I’d do a deep-dive on the gearing. I looked into it long enough ago that I might be fuzzy...but I recall 4.88 being the go-to for 33s but too low for 31s, i.e. engine will rev too high at “highway” speeds.

You have an automatic, right?

As I recall 4.88 were the factory gears with auto's and 31" tires. 4.56 were used with manuals and 31's.

I’d do a deep-dive on the gearing. I looked into it long enough ago that I might be fuzzy...but I recall 4.88 being the go-to for 33s but too low for 31s, i.e. engine will rev too high at “highway” speeds.

You have an automatic, right?

As I recall 4.88 were the factory gears with auto's and 31" tires. 4.56 were used with manuals and 31's.
The truck did not come with the 31" I added them, I looked up my Gear Code and it is G282 which If I decoded it right is 8" diff with 4.30 . I could be wrong though

4:88s are too much for 31’s. I’d leave your 4:30’s in there and put your money towards a 5 speed swap.

Regarding your AC post, the brackets aren’t based off the refrigerant type but rather the body style change/year/engine. The early carbed 22rs had one style, the late 80s RE had another, then the 90-95 had a third. All 22r/re compressors will bolt up to any one of the brackets. It’s which bracket and refrigerant line setup you need will dictate what you need. R12 is by no means problematic, quite the opposite. It’s a great refrigerant but is kind of expensive. Most convert their setup to R134a which is straight forward and effective.

Truck will look like a roller skate with that lift and 31s. Start saving for 33s and then get your 4.88 gears. Then do the 5 speed swap.

See how this goes? It never ends.

Truck will look like a roller skate with that lift and 31s. Start saving for 33s and then get your 4.88 gears. Then do the 5 speed swap.

See how this goes? It never ends.

We have this fella in the local club. He has a reputation for spending other people's money. Looks like KLF has assumed that roll over there. :rofl:

Oh, I approve his message ... and I'm glad he said it first. The only thing I would suggest is 4.88 (4.56?) in the diffs, and maybe 32" tires.

Last edited:
Are those 3" springs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom