lesson learned... FIPG effing expires (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I also just spoke to both "Aftermarket" and "R&D" departments at ThreeBond and confirmed that the Lot Number includes a year code (second and third digits) and shelf-life is six months (contrary to "Bob at Elmhurst")

The moral of story is to check the stamp on the tube inside the box before you pay at the dealer since Toyota Parts Departments aren't knowledgeable in this specific product and as a result are happy to sell you an expired product.

I'll attempt to make ground with Toyota Corporate Customer Service and will also follow up here with the ThreeBond-recommended distributor that won't sell you expired product.

You can use a bit of permatex or gasket glue to help hold the gasket in place for install. My napa gasket has held up for 10 years with a removal/reuse several years ago.

I installed this gasket a few years ago myself.
Times 3 on the Napa trans pan gasket.

I did confirm that, while initially behaving like yours, mine is firming up. My application is in a garage at 40F or so. Two test samples left overnight (one left in the garage and the other inside) confirm that temperature is greatly affecting cure time.

It never firmed up. The room temperature sample was still creamy like peanut butter after 24 hours. The tube went bad. Bob at Elmhurst Toyota is wrong. And so in my case, the differential must come back out.

PXL_20210204_224948018.jpg

PXL_20210204_224953423.jpg

It never firmed up. The room temperature sample was still creamy like peanut butter after 24 hours. The tube went bad. Bob at Elmhurst Toyota is wrong. And so in my case, the differential must come back out.
maybe Bob at Elmhurst can come by with a 12 pack n help you fix it. sorry to hear u gotta repull a diff. Toyota should be partially responsible, if they're Distributing a product with a limited shelf-life, they have a responsibility to make that fact known. for me it was just a couple hours and a little bit of fluid, but if you compound it with everyone's small issue caused by this, there's a lot of people's time, and materials wasted because somebody thought it best not to put an expiration date on a package.

Having different sealants for this and that for the variety of vehicles I work on can be a RPITA, so I use wherever possible a good RTV sealant and call it done.

Go with a decent brand though.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom