AWD Replace just one tire. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I lost a relatively new tire on my 04 AWD Sienna 175k pretty much the same drivetrain as the Highlander so hopefully this post is in the right spot. Replaced it with an identical tire (could not find a used tire that matched and was safely repaired) but now I'm concerned about the 3/32 tread depth variance between tires. Internet search is yielding advice varying from its fine to its going to blow up the drive train. Recommended fix ranges from replacing the other tire on the axle to all three tires need to match the new one as far as depth goes. The vehicle has been cared for and I'd like to run it for another 75-100k.

Check the owners manual. Last book i saw said 2-3/32 limit.
Put it up front and drive like an ass for a couple weeks ;)
Tire shaving is also available in some areas and from tire rack.

Check the owners manual. Last book i saw said 2-3/32 limit.
Put it up front and drive like an ass for a couple weeks ;)
Tire shaving is also available in some areas and from tire rack.
Only shops I'm finding are 5 hours away. Tire rack only offers on tires they have in stock. Should have ordered through them and had them do it but too late for that now without eating what I paid to have the new one put on.

Ya, it’s fine. A tire dealer won’t agree cause they want to sell tires.

The tire ended up being 10/32 even though it was supposed to be 11/32 no issues with abs and couldn't find a place that did tire shaving near me. At 10/32 (a 2/32 difference) I figure it's close enough.

your fine, its a negatable and in 13 years a a toyota dealership i have never seen a t-case or diff grenade over 1/32 of tread. also their open diffs so its not really a big deal if theres a bigger tread difference as only one tire is going to be the drive tire at a time unlike an lsd diff or locked diff where the difference would be a bigger problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom