Is my exhaust flange too far gone? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PNWTreeOctopus

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m in the middle of replacing my 93’s exhaust gaskets. Pipes are original, and seem to be in good shape. After hitting all my gasket and mating surfaces with a wire wheel I’m just not sure how well things are going to seal up. I’m new at exhaust, so I don’t really have anything to compare it to. These surfaces obviously have defects, but am I living in a dream thinking they will seal up?
80CE21A6-153E-44C8-A43E-549CEF8AEC27.jpeg

I’m already in for the cost of all the gaskets down stream if the manifold, plus a new walker muffler. Like I said this is my first exhaust rodeo and I’m hoping to learn from the wisdom of the community on this.

The donut gaskets will seal on those surfaces. Yours look about like my 93 exhaust did when I redid it. You’ll be pleased with the Walker muffler.

Thank you, I appreciate a second look. I decided to go for the new walker muffler after reading about your experienc with them. I’m also hoping that my whistle upon acceleration will be solved with it too.

The replacement muffler solved my whistle back in 2017. The muffler is fairly tough. I smashed mine pretty good while winching over a huge downed tree in the Gifford Pinchot forest last summer and hung together, no leaks.

Suggestions for the 02 sensor gasket remnants? I’m going to go after it with the little dremel and maybe some micro files..this is after the wire wheel on the corded drill.
BCD3E1E0-FA9F-4C0E-A9F3-3962FA9EF089.jpeg

A stiff wire wheel is as aggressive as I’d go with powered tools. That looks like it could be scraped off with a razor blade and/or putty knife.

If you're looking at saving money at this point like I was with my 93 exhaust, you can slap some exhaust puddy on any leaks you end up with to get you by for a couple more years until you can replace the enchilada.

Suggestions for the 02 sensor gasket remnants? I’m going to go after it with the little dremel and maybe some micro files..this is after the wire wheel on the corded drill. View attachment 2572866
Use a small hammer to tap on those chunks of rust and they should pop right off. Otherwise, a chisel to get under them and perpendicular to the flange right around the bolts will knock off the heavy stuff to get a clean, flat surface again.

Solid Gold. Thanks for the useful suggestions. This is why I even begin to feel confident enough to attempt to do this stuff myself. You all have continued to speak up and offer helpful suggestions and encouragement along the way.

@Pz10420, I didn’t know about exhaust putty—I believe my leaks are all failing 27 year old gaskets (fingers crossed).

@baldilocks and @BILT4ME I’ll try using the putty knife and also some gentle taps from a hammer. I have a very small homage brass drift for adjusting the sights on my rifle, perhaps I can press it into automotive detail by shaping one end to be chisel shaped...I’m fearful of gouging the mating surface with tool steel.

Solid Gold. Thanks for the useful suggestions. This is why I even begin to feel confident enough to attempt to do this stuff myself. You all have continued to speak up and offer helpful suggestions and encouragement along the way.

@Pz10420, I didn’t know about exhaust putty—I believe my leaks are all failing 27 year old gaskets (fingers crossed).

@baldilocks and @BILT4ME I’ll try using the putty knife and also some gentle taps from a hammer. I have a very small homage brass drift for adjusting the sights on my rifle, perhaps I can press it into automotive detail by shaping one end to be chisel shaped...I’m fearful of gouging the mating surface with tool steel.

As a former user of the Walker muffler, keep your eye out for a good used OE muffler. I found a low mile rust-free one that I replaced my Walker with. Tried two Walkers and neither made it longer than a year before leaking/rattling. I have had better luck with the Walker rear section, but the mount on one rusted through and separated after 18 months.

Yikes. Well I cut my Toyota one off, so it’s not even in the running. I’ll hope for the best with mine.

The optimal tools were a discarded spoke shave blade, a nail set, and a tiny ballpien hammer. I’m just waiting on my last couple of gaskets and my muffler. Thanks for the good suggestions!
C2A4A6B8-1E3B-4EF9-9570-8DC2A54FA7A0.jpeg

21A38018-0949-45DC-A4B0-C49E7F5902F0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom