4.6L Ford/FJ60 engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I just got a smoking deal on a low mileage 2006 Ford Mustang GT, that had been in a front end collision. It got totalled by insurance. Got it from a coworker. No engine trauma. So, it's a 2006 Ford Mustang GT. 4.6L V8 and (I believe) a standard (stick shift) T-5 5 speed. I was first kicking around swapping the engine and tranny into my son's '68 Ford Fairlane, but we just built a pretty BA 302 for his car, so not really looking to engine swap that.

So, I am kicking this around. The 4.6l v8 is FAR more powerful than my tired old 2F. Rig has a 4 speed standard transmission now. I'm just in the initial "kicking around" the idea stage. Has anyone swapped this series engine into an FJ60?

I found this link. Lots of talk of different Ford engines being swapped. I think that this small little package would be great! The fuel economy would increase, and would open up a lot of opportunity regarding road tripping this rig, being that I live at 7,000', carburetor jetting becomes an issue heading down the hill. Not to mention that the 2F is an absolute turd! Great on trails, in four low, but horrible everywhere else. Not concerned about the fuel system. I will look into swapping the Mustang tank to the FJ, otherwise I'll route a return line for the high pressure fuel pump. I can figure out engine mounts. My main concern is if there's an adapter to bolt the 4.6 to my factory tranny. That would greatly reduce the sound of work, if I were only installing the engine.

I may Start a different thread regarding transmission questions. Im trying to focus on purely the engine swap right now.

Thoughts, comments, concerns? Scintillating statements? I know that the 4.6L engine is a popular swap into the old Ford Bronco's. I may need to go to a Ford Bronco forum for particulars.

My rig:
20191207_132326.jpg
20191031_104735.jpg

Donor car (sorry for bad picture):
20210111_181109.jpg
20210111_181119.jpg

Pulled everything back. Only a cam position sensor was hurt in the accident. It's at mechanic friends house. He replaced sensor, pulled other stuff back and verified that the engine is good to go.

That’s a great motor, but very wide. I would check out some vague dimensions to see how it will fit before I spent money.

Also figure out of you can get an NV4500 Transmission to fit that engine. That would be the first step to dictate how extreme the rest of the build would have to be.

Have not herd of any Ford adapters to the stock Toyota stuff, you may have to do the whole nv4500 route like @HemiAlex mentioned.

maybe even a ranger torque splitter/ overdrive

should work nicely just got to get it in there and adapted

Small block Chevy: 26 inches wide, 28 inches long, and 27 inches tall

Ford Modular 4.6: width 25.6" SOHC, 30" DOHC, height 26" SOHC/28" DOHC. Length 28".

The '01-'06 variety of this engine is a single camshaft engine, from the short bit of googlizing that I just did. Lots of SBC's going into these chassis.

If my quick bit of research is correct, the SOHC '06 variant of the 4.6l Modular Ford engine is 0.4" narrower than a SBC, 1" shorter in height and the same length.

I'm sure a guy could make it work. My input would be sell it and buy a 5.3 (or 4.8 or 6.0 or whatever deal you can find). Make your life easier and probably put money back in your pocket. You'd be alone on that road. But hey if that's your ball of twine, go for it. If I had to swap a Ford engine, it would be a late model 5.0 from an Explorer... (because Coyotes are still too expensive).

I'm sure a guy could make it work. My input would be sell it and buy a 5.3 (or 4.8 or 6.0 or whatever deal you can find). Make your life easier and probably put money back in your pocket. You'd be alone on that road. But hey if that's your ball of twine, go for it. If I had to swap a Ford engine, it would be a late model 5.0 from an Explorer... (because Coyotes are still too expensive).
Yeah. I MAY do that. I've already done an LS swap in one of old hot rods. Kinda want to do something different. Looks like there's a pretty straight forward "wire diet" for the factory harness, that retains the OBD2 port for diagnostic purposes and the O2 sensors. PLUS, I want to run the T-5 5 speed in my '59 Apache hot rod. I'll poke around on some Ford forums. I know that a lot of these have been swapped into the old first gen Bronco's a lot, and I've heard great feedback on those swaps. Plus, 315 HP and 350 lb./ft. in entirely stock form isn't too bad!

I also have a freshly built 383 SBC with a Holley Sniper fuel injection setup that only has 800 miles on it. But, I'm kinda wanting to save that for an old '50's Brookwood station wagon build. So, looking to put this engine to use. BUT, I'm not 100% sold yet. Need to read up a bit more! I appreciate the feedback!

Yeah. I MAY do that. I've already done an LS swap in one of old hot rods. Kinda want to do something different. Looks like there's a pretty straight forward "wire diet" for the factory harness, that retains the OBD2 port for diagnostic purposes and the O2 sensors. PLUS, I want to run the T-5 5 speed in my '59 Apache hot rod. I'll poke around on some Ford forums. I know that a lot of these have been swapped into the old first gen Bronco's a lot, and I've heard great feedback on those swaps. Plus, 315 HP and 350 lb./ft. in entirely stock form isn't too bad!

I also have a freshly built 383 SBC with a Holley Sniper fuel injection setup that only has 800 miles on it. But, I'm kinda wanting to save that for an old '50's Brookwood station wagon build. So, looking to put this engine to use. BUT, I'm not 100% sold yet. Need to read up a bit more! I appreciate the feedback!
I wasn't trying to dissuade you... I'm all for unique, but there has to be a reason I know a couple guys with LS swapped Fox bodies, and nobody with a mod motor in one.. 🤔

I did a 1969 351W using Marks Bellhousing adapter into my ‘73 FJ40 back in the 90’s. It took 3 days
to running. It was easy. I got 18 mpg on 38/14.5 TSL/SX’s. I think that 4.6 should be a good motor for the 60.
The electronics part is way out of my league. I’m from BC - Before Computers.
I agree that you should really go to the Bronco forums for transmission info alone. Advance Adapters would be
your second look to see if you can adapt to the split case.
If you can’t adapt transfer case then you have two options. Full Ford trans/tcase and 9” centered rear.
Another option would be look at whether any of the Tacoma/4Runner 5 speeds mate up to that engine. If so,
using the transmission and t case from there and then looking at Tacoma/4Runner rear axle to Center the diff.

I've got a 5.0 in my 60 and the AOD transmission/np203.split tcase. Works really well for my purposes. That motor would be a hell of a lot of fun in a cruiser and there are plenty of bronco swaps out there to give ideas on how to make it work. I'd do it just because it's NOT A SBC :)

I've got a 5.0 in my 60 and the AOD transmission/np203.split tcase. Works really well for my purposes. That motor would be a hell of a lot of fun in a cruiser and there are plenty of bronco swaps out there to give ideas on how to make it work. I'd do it just because it's NOT A SBC :)
That's where I'm at. I own multiple SBC's. That would be a very quick and easy swap, but its not exciting at all. I'm gonna do it. Going to start the "wire diet", to thin the electrical out. Axle's are super easy, I am not worried about diff placement. I may end up with D60's, I've got a super stout Ford 9" housing. I've got options there. Thats a one day project, and measuring for a driveline.

Looks like right now I need to figure out my transmission/transfer case. Years ago I took my 2wd 2001 Ford Super Duty, four linked it front and rear, ran a D60 front axle and a divorced transfer case with my factory 2wd transmission. Worked amazing. I just don't think that FJ60 has the wheelbase to support a divorced transfer case setup. Off to the Bronco forums.

Don't go divorced.

I mean, a Samurai has a divorced case. Pretty sure that's shorter than a 60...
Pretty sure that I would break Suzuki parts! The transmission and divorced transfer case that I would run would be significantly longer than Samurai parts. I was hard pressed to have equal length driveshafts in my '01 Super Duty! But, it did. Was great, actually! I had three driveline made. Spare could replace the front or rear shaft! That was the best justification for me to build that rig with a divorced transfer case. One part, spare for two other parts, and great driveline angles front and rear! Anyway, I'm not building this rig with a divorced transfer case.

Pretty sure that I would break Suzuki parts! The transmission and divorced transfer case that I would run would be significantly longer than Samurai parts. I was hard pressed to have equal length driveshafts in my '01 Super Duty! But, it did. Was great, actually! I had three driveline made. Spare could replace the front or rear shaft! That was the best justification for me to build that rig with a divorced transfer case. One part, spare for two other parts, and great driveline angles front and rear! Anyway, I'm not building this rig with a divorced transfer case.
Oh, I agree with you on all points. I was just being a smartass!

You have the WB to go divorced. It's just a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom