GR Starter Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is the small wire from the engine harness connected to the wrong spot in this photo? Should it be connected to the spade in the blue circle? If so, does the other small wire from the starter go anywhere else?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_0922.jpg

If so, does the other small wire from the starter go anywhere else?

Hard to see in your photo but I am guessing this truck no longer has the stock trigger connector. Looks to have been replaced by something else maybe. There should be a single 'keyed' connector and the two leads from battery and ground that connect to the starter unless someone has done some kind of relay mod to run the starter, which is a common modification folks do to bypass tired stock starter trigger wiring. Is it possible that sort of mod was done on this truck and you just now have an extra unused stock trigger wire as a result? Does the starter run as you have it connected now?

Hard to see in your photo but I am guessing this truck no longer has the stock trigger connector. Looks to have been replaced by something else maybe. There should be a single 'keyed' connector and the two leads from battery and ground that connect to the starter unless someone has done some kind of relay mod to run the starter, which is a common modification folks do to bypass tired stock starter trigger wiring. Is it possible that sort of mod was done on this truck and you just now have an extra unused stock trigger wire as a result? Does the starter run as you have it connected now?
Thanks for the reply. I removed the old, what I think was the original starter. It had three connections... positive wire, negative wire, and a thin wire with a connector that came from the engine harness and plugged into the starter body.

This new starter seems to have 4 connections... positive, negative, that spade connector in the blue circle, and a thin wire coming directly off the starter itself. I connected the wire coming off the starter to the engine harness wire, although I think maybe I should have connected the engine harness wire to the spade in the blue circle instead.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

the one with the connector should be the one you want, it works as it is, right?

Edit. I'm confused. That starter doesn't look like a regular FJ60 starter to me. The connector and main positive lug should be on the side of the main case. Where'd it come from?

Last edited:
the one with the connector should be the one you want, it works as it is, right?

Edit. I'm confused. That starter doesn't look like a regular FJ60 starter to me. The connector and main positive lug should be on the side of the main case. Where'd it come from?
It's this one from VintageTeqParts...

It doesn't work as I have it wired now.

@ToyotaMatt? Looks like he adds a proper connector to work with the 60 series factory trigger terminal. He can prolly guide you here. Starter works for various cruiser models. Still think its the three wire setup and would work with how you have it setup.

Yes, that did the trick! Thanks for the advice and follow-up. Much appreciated.

can we see installed final photos ?

be good to see the hook up method live real time

thanks

can we see installed final photos ?

be good to see the hook up method live real time

thanks
Here's a photo with the three connection points... positive cable, ground cable, and thin black wire (with white stripe) from the OEM harness. Starts up great!

The wire that came attached to the starter was not needed on my '87 FJ60.

IMG_0928.png

Here's a photo with the three connection points... positive cable, ground cable, and thin black wire (with white stripe) from the OEM harness. Starts up great!

The wire that came attached to the starter was not needed on my '87 FJ60.

View attachment 2573611

you should make a brief you tube video of it cranking and starting

Show what small and Mighty new Saudi Spec. Region Technology is all about ........... :cool:

Here is what The Giant Leap of the Direct drive Mini Reduction Starter is all about in a nut shell ......

denso6666.jpg

20200515_163534.jpg
20200515_163609.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom