New to IH8MUD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning! I am new to this group. Bought a 1986 FJ40 from a friend of mine a few years ago. Interior is pretty nice. Lots of rust on bottom of the doors but I'm going to slowly get to having it redone. I personally enjoy all of the FJ4X models. I live in northern Michigan and am a wingshooting and flyfishing guide.

I'm looking for a Troopy to use for my family and guide business and have seen some units that say "survivor". What does that mean?

Thanks!
Chris

Good morning! I am new to this group. Bought a 1986 FJ40 from a friend of mine a few years ago. Interior is pretty nice. Lots of rust on bottom of the doors but I'm going to slowly get to having it redone. I personally enjoy all of the FJ4X models. I live in northern Michigan and am a wingshooting and flyfishing guide.

I'm looking for a Troopy to use for my family and guide business and have seen some units that say "survivor". What does that mean?

Thanks!
Chris
Welcome, survivor means unrestored and in original condition. You’ll find out that everyone’s definitions are different. Clean is a floating term.

terms mean different things to different people
some say restored, then it has a V8 with a 4 speed when it originally came with a 3 speed, leather seats etc
survivor as stated above is generally how it came from the showroom with out any major modifications,

you would need to know what you want in a troopy, alot will be RHD, gas or diesel, 45 series or 75 series

terms mean different things to different people
some say restored, then it has a V8 with a 4 speed when it originally came with a 3 speed, leather seats etc
survivor as stated above is generally how it came from the showroom with out any major modifications,

you would need to know what you want in a troopy, alot will be RHD, gas or diesel, 45 series or 75 series
Thanks, guys. I would personally want a LHD, gas or diesel and like the 45 series. Would be great if it was restored to some degree. The only one out there right now appears to be WAY overpriced.

Thanks, guys. I would personally want a LHD, gas or diesel and like the 45 series. Would be great if it was restored to some degree. The only one out there right now appears to be WAY overpriced.

best bet to find a decent LHD would be from the mid east region,
supply and demand.

Join the club, I've been thinking of the same for a while. A troopy would be the ultimate fly fishing rig for me.

Welcome to the forum. Pretty paint and interior on that one. where it counts is in its build sheet and pictures of the process. If it has been gone through properly and done with toyota parts the price may be reasonable if not cheap. First glance indicates a non-US market truck and maybe a south american restoration. Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware. Would require an in person inspection, with a toyota guy who is familiar with these trucks, and a lot of documentation before I would pay that money. It all comes down to hours spent and materials used as well as the market for Land Cruisers.

The lower right corner of the of the right ambulance door has what appears to be a patch on the tub. Being a import with a short VIN probably not going be able to trace much history. No heater on a 83 makes me think South or Central America. Thought have been know to be worked hard with questionable repairs. Obviously been restored but right. That patch doesn't say top notch shop in the US. LHD troopies are not.common in the US and possible someone trying to make a killing because of it. Doubt up north you would be happy without any heat. Besides the front heater late model troopies have rear heater option.

Have to ask you have an 86 FJ40. Not sure I seen one of those. Most all 4X series I've seen past 84 have been long wheel base including a 86 troopy being sold in Costa Rica. Believe that was an ex Red Cross vehicle.

Welcome to the forum. Pretty paint and interior on that one. where it counts is in its build sheet and pictures of the process. If it has been gone through properly and done with toyota parts the price may be reasonable if not cheap. First glance indicates a non-US market truck and maybe a south american restoration. Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware. Would require an in person inspection, with a toyota guy who is familiar with these trucks, and a lot of documentation before I would pay that money. It all comes down to hours spent and materials used as well as the market for Land Cruisers.
Thanks dlzadl. I have researched a fair amount on classic.com etc and this one was just sold in Oct of last year for $47,300 and I think they are trying to make a quick profit. Now that sale was on Barrett-Jackson as an auction which we both now depends on who is watching it etc. Any thoughts?

Or a bad ass 70 series.
Now you are talking :cool:

troopysale_hreid-1-jpg.417770

I'm sure you all have seen this one. Other than the price being way to high, what are your thoughts?

I agree it's too high and doesn't look top notch for that price.

@dlzadl all troopy's are non-US market trucks. :beer: but yes, buyer beware for sure. Not sure if you mean South America because of the no-heater setup? Very few I would few comfortable with getting from South America.

terms mean different things to different people.....
survivor as stated above is generally how it came from the showroom with out any major modifications,.......
In addition to any previous rust repair or paint work.

all troopy's are non-US market trucks. :beer: but yes, buyer beware for sure. Not sure if you mean South America because of the no-heater setup? Very few I would few comfortable with getting from South America.
Definitely non-us. No heater and looks like a 69 carb breather, mash up and not a lot of close ups

Thanks dlzadl. I have researched a fair amount on classic.com etc and this one was just sold in Oct of last year for $47,300 and I think they are trying to make a quick profit. Now that sale was on Barrett-Jackson as an auction which we both now depends on who is watching it etc. Any thoughts?
If you pay someone else to do the work it is going to cost money. We have been Involved in several builds over the past 7 years. Watched a ton more here on the forum. I've seen really flashy, pretty trucks that sold for way more than they were worth, some were a buyers nightmare. Saw many solid mechanical restorations that were really a great value. Body work gets very expensive. If you are going to trail this truck, mechanical and solid is where you want to focus your efforts and purchase. But that being said, a well sorted solid 40 is going to be worth 25 to 30k, and 50k for the right truck is not out of line.
A restoration, frame off, all in body and mechanical will be alot more. We have a 72 that has over 3000 hours and almost 50k in parts, professional paint and body. but that is a nut and bolt all the way down restoration. Probably will never see a trail. If you thought that troopy was expensive, it is a blush to what I would have to sell for.
My driver, a 12/69 40 is just as dependable and is probably worth 30k but i would never sell it.
My advice since you asked for it , is this. Look on this forum, get yourself a star, start reading up on these trucks, watch the for sale on this forum, when you see something you are interested in, post it here with pictures and ask for advice. Don't disclose location because the good deals go fast and everyone is watching for them. Good luck and these trucks are well worth the trouble, they become like your children,

If only Toyota had brought Troopies to the USA....... Besides a 40 my favorite Landcruiser. The utility potential is off the charts👍

Thanks!
Chris

I do not believe Toyota was producing the FJ40 in 1986 ? I always thought 1983/1984 were the last units with USA last ones 1983?

We have a 72 that has over 3000 hours and almost 50k in parts, professional paint and body
One of my favorite Cruisers on this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom