Clutch/Transmission Issues - Slave Cylinder Fail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All-

Looking for a bit of help here; been chilly here recently (high 20's at night to upper 30's during the day); took the truck out today before the snow is supposed to hit to put a few miles on.

Noticed that during the drive the clutch pedal catch was extremely low (generally it's a high clutch) and got very hard to put the car into gear (and pedal was essentially on the floor) when forcefully getting into gear. Was able to limp home and took a look under the truck and saw two sets of drips (Tranny fluid, presumably). See photos for where the drips were coming from (red circles); I couldn't identify where the fluid was actually originating from.

Looking down into the engine from the passenger side, the fluid was dripping off the heat/engine guard
IMG_3533.jpg

From under the car (passenger side) fluid was dripping off axle housing

IMG_3532.jpg

I'm assuming this is a slave and/or master cylinder failure and from what I've read, it makes sense to replace both at the same time if it's only one. Hoping I can get some help and/or confirmation on what this or more specifically next steps.

Thanks in advance.

Lowell

if you look ion your pic, you can see the hose and the slave cylinder, to the left of the starter.
usually when the slave cylinder goes bad it comes out the pushrod end, so it would not end up on that splash shield
I would check the flex hose.

it is good practice to replace both slave and master when 1 goes bad.

Checked the flex hose and all good, same with slave.

Any other thoughts? Really struggling to see where the fluid came from and what is causing this.

Checked the flex hose and all good, same with slave.

Any other thoughts? Really struggling to see where the fluid came from and what is causing this.

other than filling it back up and have someone depress the pedal while you watch,

are you sure it is brake fluid?

other than filling it back up and have someone depress the pedal while you watch,

are you sure it is brake fluid?
Yes...going to try to get someone to push down clutch pedal as I watch.
Not sure it’s brake fluid, but not sure what else it would be since truck was driving fine and the only issue was related to clutch getting it into gear

Is the clutch master reservoir low? The clutch line doesnt have a lot of volume so if it's noticibly leaking it'll drop pretty visibly. Note the level then go mash the clutch a few dozen times and see if it drops.

See my comments on your pic. I dont see a wet soft line or any fluid at the soft/hardline bracket. The 'axle housing' you posted is your front differential. Fill the clutch master and push in the clutch pedal. see if fluid pours out on the driveway. Then chase down the fluid that is dripping from the bottom of the Diff and make sure it isnt the rear pinion seal, looms like i can see fluid around the pinion by the drive shaft spider.
you are lucky in that the 75+ master and slave are cheap...

clutch (3).jpg

Is the clutch master reservoir low? The clutch line doesnt have a lot of volume so if it's noticibly leaking it'll drop pretty visibly. Note the level then go mash the clutch a few dozen times and see if it drops.

The reservoir is actually pretty close to full, that's why I'm a bit confused about what's occurring here. It doesn't seem to drop when pushing the pedal in...going to check again once the snow/cold clears up here in NoVA.

Thanks for chiming in, iptman

See my comments on your pic. I dont see a wet soft line or any fluid at the soft/hardline bracket. The 'axle housing' you posted is your front differential. Fill the clutch master and push in the clutch pedal. see if fluid pours out on the driveway. Then chase down the fluid that is dripping from the bottom of the Diff and make sure it isnt the rear pinion seal, looms like i can see fluid around the pinion by the drive shaft spider.
you are lucky in that the 75+ master and slave are cheap...

View attachment 2570589
Clutch master = same as clutch reservoir as iptman stated, or something different? Thanks for the comments

Yes, Master cylinder has the reservoir on top, right next to brake master cylinder and booster. Technically, reservoir is the container that holds the brake fluid, cylinder is the piston and sleeve that the clutch pedal push in when depressed. regardless, I don't see any fluid snaking its way down the hard line to the soft line connection, but replacing them as a pair is the way to go. And the soft line is the same as the rear brake line on my 73', made it easy to find a stainless replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom