Rear Window Tight Fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thank @J Mack I'll check that out. Re-Assembly is taking much longer than taking it apart did, ha ha.

According to the FSM, re-assembly is simply the reverse of dis-assembly! I always thought that was funny...

figured it out. Working great both up and down, now I just need to get the key cylinder operation working. Do your tailgates use the same key as the ignition? Mine doesn't seem to fit properly, but there was no secondary key when I purchased the rig.
The door key on mine operates the rear window and the gas fill door. The ignition key is separate and only operates the ignition.

This ^^^

Door key works for lowering window from outside the tailgate.

Going back in mine tomorrow to install the plate light from @Pigeaten and try to figure out why I’m getting sideways 1/2 way through my travel.

One thing I’m not sure of. What do these window channel clips look like? I don’t remember having any.

I’m armed with info .... wish me luck

9E8A1946-DCBB-4357-B4D0-0CEE6FE700E3.jpeg

6A08D6A2-ABD3-4F18-B117-B88A12029CDF.jpeg

2CB95B98-C814-41BF-8B5D-B23F59B7BF04.jpeg

4C3E6497-6FC5-484A-BD7B-2789831E8ED5.jpeg

The two roller channels clip into the longer u-channel that has the rubber and holds the glass. The two clips in the first picture slide into the connect points that are on both sides.

5432C7B5-8C53-47BE-9E48-35469F5D7A97.jpeg

CB41CAC4-A6CE-4251-89EE-56CA80058B11.jpeg

The two roller channels clip into the longer u-channel that has the rubber and holds the glass. The two clips in the first picture slide into the connect points that are on both sides.

View attachment 2567290

View attachment 2567291
Note that my two roller channels are original but I bent up a custom u-channel that holds the glass and then welded the pins and connectors. As you can see from the picture my skills are a bit lacking but it works. My original u-channel literally rusted into tiny pieces.

I made it worse.

This thing is really pissing me off. I hate a damn 55 rear window
I know the pain. The more I worked on my rear window the worse I seemed to make it. I finally got it to work again but somehow messed up the tailgate key switch so it no longer works...only the dash does. I also removed all the weather stripping in frustration due to the binding preventing the window going up or down smoothly. So when I say working well that is relative since the glass is against straight metal at this point. But it does go up and down...

The arm teeth are 4 off as correct.

I used a level and got the mechanism twisted to hit the glass evenly.

Still binding up though. I pulled the plate to look at the gear just for the heck of it.

I would get in line for Georg's first run of gears and start over. Take out the side rubber to see how easy the glass goes up and down. When the glass is half way up check it for level, maybe it's cocked side to side or front to back. Hard to say not being there. Maybe the broken gear flexed enough to allow it to slip and drag going up under strain. We'll figure it out. 👍

Update.

See the valley in the plastic gear?

The SOR gear does not have it and when you tighten up the cover the ridge goes into the gear to bind it up.

I’m going to flap disc the ridge off the cover but new gears need the valley

49DD4558-6471-4B44-8940-992CC613E2AE.jpeg

C2F5AFFA-B746-429C-82C8-C5F447DF58DC.jpeg

AEB57440-1573-4F40-B8F2-29632E46B35B.jpeg

I’m going to flap disc the ridge off the cover
Probably not the best solution, might want to take a second look at that if you haven't already started grinding.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom