I’m starting a Vapor Honing business to restore TLC parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know about everyone else, but as soon as I saw this I spent the next 4 hours watching YouTube videos on how to build your own Vapor Blasting (honing) cabinet..

Pretty amazing tech. What I am impressed with the most is how it doesn't remove the yellow zinc plating...

I don't know about everyone else, but as soon as I saw this I spent the next 4 hours watching YouTube videos on how to build your own Vapor Blasting (honing) cabinet..

Pretty amazing tech. What I am impressed with the most is how it doesn't remove the yellow zinc plating...

It really does remove most of the plating. What you see in my pictures is me replating it myself.

It really does remove most of the plating. What you see in my pictures is me replating it myself.
Thanks for that clarification!!

Haha, yep that was me yesterday.

Now who showed their wife this post?!

Shameless plug for vapor honing - kudos for offering the service to folks on here. Can't recommend it enough.

PTO cover on far left is brand new from Toyota, right is vapor blasted.
uW8QH92h.jpg

Vapor blasted cases - really the best way to clean it up for a rebuild.
a8vayYch.jpg

Y9DAjcmh.jpg

Shameless plug for vapor honing - kudos for offering the service to folks on here. Can't recommend it enough.

PTO cover on far left is brand new from Toyota, right is vapor blasted.
uW8QH92h.jpg

Vapor blasted cases - really the best way to clean it up for a rebuild.
a8vayYch.jpg

Y9DAjcmh.jpg

Beautiful. Sure beats paint!

@MScruiser

Would poorly painted valve cover need to be stripped of the paint before being sent to you, or does the vapor hone process remove the paint and also polish as shown? I am very interested. What is your turn around time for a valve cover?

So after watching all those hours of YouTube videos, I decided to build my own vapor blasting rig. It’s pretty badass!

I noticed the media you use really makes a difference in the cutting and or polishing.
If you want shiney then get the finest glass bead you can find. I have #50 30-60 medium. It’s decent at cutting, and leaves a dull shine.

For the ultra shine get 170-325.

@MScruiser

Would poorly painted valve cover need to be stripped of the paint before being sent to you, or does the vapor hone process remove the paint and also polish as shown? I am very interested. What is your turn around time for a valve cover?

It will take paint off, but keep in mind it is very mildly abrasive, so the cleaner you can get it before hand, the less time I spend, in the more money you save. Turnaround time right now is pretty fast. Shipping would be quite expensive, at least I imagine so.

It will take paint off, but keep in mind it is very mildly abrasive, so the cleaner you can get it before hand, the less time I spend, in the more money you save. Turnaround time right now is pretty fast. Shipping would be quite expensive, at least I imagine so.
I can't imagine shipping of a valve cover would be more than 30 bucks each way, that's not an issue. My current issue is I am in NY for work and my valve cover is at home in California! Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom