Advice on Tundra 18" Steelies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I have been silently admiring the utilitarian look of Tundra 18" steelies on the 100 series. My tires are approaching their end of life, and I want to replace the wheels and tires in the same shot when it's time to replace.

I am currently running Tundra 18" wheels (non steelies, pictured below) with 305/65/18 tires. With a 2.5" lift in the front and 1.5" in the rear, they fit perfectly without rubbing.

Another member on here is running 275/70/18 tires on the Tundra steelies and says he has no rubbing issues.

Questions for the brain trust in terms of going to steelies:

1. Will there be issues with offset or rubbing? Running spacers is a non-starter for me. How do these compare to the standard Tundra wheels I already have on there?

2. Will the handling feel differently on a skinnier tire? 305 vs 275 seems like a huge difference.

3. What is the best place to source these wheels? I would want to get 5.

Pic of the cruiser below is for example only (not mine), but the Tundra wheel I have on there is mine.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_7281.JPG

steelies.jpg

I just did this with 275/70R18 BFG KO2s. no spacers, no rubbing, everything fits perfect. I can’t speak to larger tires, though.

You should get different lug nuts since the alloy ones will have flat washers that’ll rattle around. The steel lug nuts just have a cone.

I bought everything from my local dealer since shipping was high from everywhere else. My local dealer has an online parts portal that gives a good discount, and a will-call option.

Wheels: 4x 42601-0C060
Lug nuts: 20x 90942-A1003

Notes: The steelies are heavier than the stock alloys by about 11lbs. each (35 vs. 24 lbs., see: OEM Wheel Weights). And the lug nut torque is higher at 154 ft-lbs.
3BBF6B46-86B4-48AA-9CE1-38534854BC33.jpeg

I just did this with 275/70R18 BFG KO2s. no spacers, no rubbing, everything fits perfect. I can’t speak to larger tires, though.

You should get different lug nuts since the alloy ones will have flat washers that’ll rattle around. The steel lug nuts just have a cone.

I bought everything from my local dealer since shipping was high from everywhere else. My local dealer has an online parts portal that gives a good discount, and a will-call option.

Notes: The steelies are heavier than the stock alloys by about 11lbs. each (35 vs. 24 lbs., see: OEM Wheel Weights). And the lug nut torque is higher at 154 ft-lbs.
View attachment 2565749
I've run the same combo on an LC and LX no issues.

Jim

View attachment 2565749
Nice grill. Slightly jealous.

Those Tundra steelies weigh a lot, they look good but comes at a price. Also 305/65/18 is also 64 lbs in KO2s, combined with the Tundra steelies you're at over 100lbs per corner. Braking, acceleration, and handling will suck. Something to keep in mind, i ditched the 305s and went back down to a 275.

Nice grill. Slightly jealous.
You too can have a SharkNet:

You too can have a SharkNet:
Why you gotta do me like that and drop the link?? I just ordered one....

Last edited:
Those Tundra steelies weigh a lot, they look good but comes at a price. Also 305/65/18 is also 64 lbs in KO2s, combined with the Tundra steelies you're at over 100lbs per corner. Braking, acceleration, and handling will suck. Something to keep in mind, i ditched the 305s and went back down to a 275.
Good advice, thanks.

Unless you are going for the specific look of the "NATO" style steelies or need/want the steel for heavy offroad use, there really is no particular benefit to go with them. The increased weight will only sap the abysmal mpgs thus further as you are likely running larger/heavier tires along with the heavier rims.

Just something to contemplate while doing this moving forward. Some people don't care. For me though, the diminishing returns outweigh the aesthetics.

The guys aren't wrong - adding weight to the wheels/tires isn't going to help. But... do you care? Seriously.

You (and I and everyone on this forum) bought an underpowered, 5,600lb, full-time 4-wheel-drive truck. It posted %$*#y numbers out of the box.
Bumpers, roof racks, lifts, tires... yep - makes those numbers worse. I'm okay with it.

Also...
Screen Shot 2021-01-27 at 3.17.21 PM.png

I've had ^that^ for 10 years - six longer than any car/truck I've ever had. And I STILL look back at in parking lots. I bet the sales tax alone on all cars I haven't bought in the past 10 years more than covers the extra fuel cost ;)

I realize I'm a follower of the "Manhattan Philosophy"! :)

And for what it's worth, here's the Melon sporting the same wheels and 275/70R18s and I love this setup. No negligent impact on the already abysmal mileage but totally worth it!

Melon at Moab.JPG

"And for what it's worth, here's the Melon sporting the same wheels and 275/70R18s and I love this setup."
Trade ya.

And for what it's worth, here's the Melon sporting the same wheels and 275/70R18s and I love this setup. No negligent impact on the already abysmal mileage but totally worth it!

View attachment 2566979
That is an awesome looking truck - love the color. Do you have any side shots? and what height lift are you running?

I've had ^that^ for 10 years - six longer than any car/truck I've ever had. And I STILL look back at in parking lots. I bet the sales tax alone on all cars I haven't bought in the past 10 years more than covers the extra fuel cost ;)

I find myself doing this as well hahah. I really love those NATO steelies, but I hesitate because of the weight. Is the offset the same as the stock alloys? I've been thinking about going with a 1" spacer just to get a bit of a wider stance.

View attachment 2566979

errmmmagerrrrd that thing looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom