Someone please school me on 1st gen 4runner fuel tanks fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dohcdelsol93

snoogans
Threads
The rig is a 1986 and I've got a fuel tank issue. I believe my rig is set up for a 17 gallon tank and someone has tossed in a 14 gallon. I say that because the tank is bolted in above the skid in the rear but where the front should mount on the body there is a several inch gap between mounting point and the tank. I believe the 14 gallon tank utilized extension straps for mounting. My fuel neck hose is missing and none of the hoses or vent lines are attached.

My second issue is fuel pressure. Im using a diesel engine which needs 5psi pressure and not the high pressure the 22re pumped out of the tank. Is there a 17 gallon tank that would fit in my skid plate that was used with a carbed engine that wouldnt use an in tank pump? I can use one of many aftermarket marine frame mounted 5 psi pumps to feed my diesel engine. I can remove the in tank pump if needed but might be easier to use a tank with a hard pick up tube to begin with since I already need a lower psi pump. I believe the 22re needed 35 or more psi to run which is too much for the diesel tandem pump to handle.

Im not sure if an 85 4runner or pick up would be carbed or not and if it had a 17 gallon option, would it fit?

Thanks ahead of time.

Not too much help. The 4Runners were all EFI, except for 1984. I'm not sure if the 17 gallon tank was an option then. Pickups had carburators as an option up through the 1988 model year in 4WD, and up through the 1994 model years in 2WD. No idea what tanks were available.

I believe first gen were small tanks, I know my 85 has about a 14 gal tank where my 86 truck is like 18, I believe the 18 wont fit unless you modified the floor and that would jack up your seat. you could of course lower the tank, but then it will be getting hit all the time

I believe first gen were small tanks, I know my 85 has about a 14 gal tank where my 86 truck is like 18, I believe the 18 wont fit unless you modified the floor and that would jack up your seat. you could of course lower the tank, but then it will be getting hit all the time
I harvested a 17 gallon tank off a 1985 4Runner, and swapped it for my 14 gallon.

I know i had a larger fuel tank as I can see where it used to be bolted. The contours of the 14 are shorter in height and legnth than the 17 as far as i can tell from pics but im not certain. Perhaps @pappy can confirm this for me as youve handled both side by side

I harvested a 17 gallon tank off a 1985 4Runner, and swapped it for my 14 gallon.
now I want a 17 gallon tank. don't you already have a 1985 4runner? did they come with both sizes? I would think the v6 1st gens had the larger tanks.

now I want a 17 gallon tank. don't you already have a 1985 4runner? did they come with both sizes? I would think the v6 1st gens had the larger tanks.
Yep, my 85 deluxe model came with a 14 gallon. A buddy had his 85 SR5 stolen. By the time it was recovered the insurance company totaled it, and the buddy bought it back. His had the 17 gallon tank which I acquired from him.

well just went to toyota parts and they list 3 sizes 52 liter,65 liters and 73 liter that breaks down to13.7/17.17 and last but not least 19.2 so I stand corrected. my 85 and my old 86 had 13.7 in them my truck has a 19 gallon.according to toyota site in was which ever vin number you put down when you order replacments

Can you post a link to what site you used?

Thank you. I will be researching this tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom